Is there any progress?

• TMV World Legacy Member

So, I started to sing my older covers again to let me see if there's any progress. Additionally, I bought a NADY TCM 1150 vacuum tube condenser mic :)

Ok. Thank you for loving me - this is my first cover to be put here. I'd like you to compare the two following recordings. Is there any progress? Thank you in advance :)

The old recording -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg6e-CoZbcg

The latest recording -

Igor,

I hear progress in a few areas of technique but overall it is hard to really be honest for me. Only because the latest example is much better then the first. "BUT" so has your recording ability improved. I hear better resonance especially in the lowest tones but can't be sure if it is you or better recording. Also less strain on the higher tones.

I say yes you have improved but the diference in recording makes it difficult to pinpoint specific areas. At least for me. :) But listening to the first one I did wonder if you had training already because that was also very good singing man.

This new mic is very very susceptible to moisture. I suggest placing the pop filter about 6 inches from the mic, then when you sing, touch your lips gently to the filter - in the studio, the guy tells me to "kiss the filter" lol. I can hear loads of difference in the sound of your voice - but it's mostly due to the new mic lol. You are always an awesome singer, so I am not sure what you are trying to make better lol. Anyway, good job man.

www.drop-head.com

i think, their mix are different so i didn't understand the improvement of your mic. first one has more treble and reverb. also you sang more emotional. the second one is more serious and little bassy i think. they are great. 2nd one is 1 step ahead.

Well done - I can hear a real improvement in that whitesnake song.

Much fuller voice, Better articulation/pronunciation. Better dynamics. Better control at the top of your range.

George can often be found playing electric stringy things, and singing... [url=https://soundcloud.com/george-williams-8]and then this happens[/url]

I don't have a dog in the fight between mics. I just listened to the second Whitesnake cover. I hope you don't mind, Igor. I was singing along with you and sounding nothing like you or Coverdale. And it was fun.

What can I say? I'm a bad man.

Even the pros have still a learning curve!

I did not go through all the recordings but the progress is quite palpable. Better resonance, killer and cheesy low tones, and it seems also that your voice is better supported.

I heard the new version first and I really liked it. I thought your voice seemed comfortable and no strain. When I listened to the older version I thought it was also good. But if I had listened to it first I would have left it at that...yes it's good. But after hearing the new one first the old one now seemed a little timid. I want to say weaker. Less support? The new one seemed to have just a bit more punch. Also on the old version there seemed a little bit of strain or uncertainty on the higher parts while they were comfortable on the new one.

I know your vocals by now and if you are used to my comments then you know that I can always pick on your English :D It's very good. Just very small points. It's funny but it seems you pronounced the word "in" better in the old version!

I mean the spoken word "in" as pronounced in English has a sound as you are using in the word "serenity." at 3:20. But in some places you are making the i into "ee" and it becomes eet like eat.

From that point how you shade it is up to you if need be during any particular song. I'm not speaking about shading though; only the spoken English. Which even in singing "it" would never be "eet." (as far as English goes). Maybe eh if it needed modification.

But these again are minor. I just (unfortunately for you I guess :D) have got into the habit of listening to your pronunciation of English because I have heard it improve. Some really good singers have come through here posting songs but, at least in imo, have taken away the quality by poor English.

You're doing very good Igor. And understandably it is difficult since this is a second language. I have all to do just to memorize a song as is. I can't imagine also having to think about each words new pronunciation in a language foreign to my own! Believe me, you're doing well. It's a small trade off to be trying to get words right compared to how well you sing man. :) Your voice wins as anyone would be happy to sing like you.

I was at a Piano bar and the singer is from an Asian country. He is excellent and a good piano player also. Very entertaining and we have sung together, my vocal and his piano playing. I was so pissed off when a woman was laughing and teasing because he sang "reever" for the word river. As well as he sings he still mispronounces a lot of words. I really pay no mind to it because, like you, he sings great and his pronunciation for the most part is good. But people are turds sometimes and this woman just thought it was way too humorous. I didn't.

Tommy, thanks. And what do you think about my consonants? Do they seem as bad as my vowels? ;)

They seem fine to me. I really have limited knowledge of how to sing consonants properly so I couldn't comment on that specifically although they sound fine to me. But as far as pronunciation they are right on the money :)