Michael Jackson's Earth Song

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi everyone,

I was working on Michael Jackson's earth song for a while today, and, somehow managed to delete the entire thing. Before I did that I exported an unmixed section of the song, the end part, which I'm uploading to salvage something from the whole thing.

http://soundcloud.com/maxswinton/earth-song-ending-1

I like parts of this one, it felt really good to sing, relaxed and easy which is always nice. Comments, questions, and criticisms are all very welcome.

Thanks for listening.

Max

Thanks for the comment Adon. I'll try and explain what I'm doing, but I don't know the technical terms so it might not make any sense.

Basically I'm singing in full head voice, supporting all the time. I'm keeping my throat open and pushing the sound into the front of part of the roof of my mouth, and from there I push and pull it back and forth for distortion and edge etc. At the end of phrases I flip my voice into a little breathy pop by letting out some air, sort of releasing the support. Really though I'm just going for it and not thinking about, just being in the moment and singing. I know that's not very helpful but I basically learned to do everything I can do by just making noises and singing songs.

Max

Thanks for the comment Adon. I'll try and explain what I'm doing, but I don't know the technical terms so it might not make any sense.

Basically I'm singing in full head voice, supporting all the time. I'm keeping my throat open and pushing the sound into the front of part of the roof of my mouth, and from there I push and pull it back and forth for distortion and edge etc. At the end of phrases I flip my voice into a little breathy pop by letting out some air, sort of releasing the support. Really though I'm just going for it and not thinking about, just being in the moment and singing. I know that's not very helpful but I basically learned to do everything I can do by just making noises and singing songs.

Max

Really cool, thanks for the explanation! Could you elaborate a little on the amount of energy/volume you used? Do you hold anything back, or is it 100% full volume?

Thanks very much guys, appreciate it. I wish I hadn't lost the rest of the song but oh well.

breakin, I do tend to sing quite loudly, I'm singing pretty loudly here and the energy level is right up. I always try and make sure that it's controlled and I have enough in reserve to decorate any part of a phrase. I'm not using up the breath I've taken in, it all gets released at the end of the phrase. It takes me a little while to get into the groove but after 5 minutes or so, my voice clicks into gear and on the good days it feels elastic. I don't think when I sing, which is why I enjoy it so much, it's just intuitive and all based on sensation.

Again, probably not enlightening at all.

Thanks for listening.