Just saw "The Hobbit", had to try this once I got home.

• TMV World Legacy Member

https://soundcloud.com/hordurar/misty

I remember sitting in the theater, speechless during this particular scene. In my opinion, one of the best in the movie. I wondered if I could sing this low so I went ahead and recorded it. I Hope someone here has seen the movie and can relate. I went with the exaggerated reverb because I think it fits well with the song. What do you think? :)

I liked it. The one thing I would suggest is to use some different vowel modifications - for example, instead of singing the word "night" like you say it in normal speech, sing it "nuhght" replacing I with uh.

www.drop-head.com

• 2 weeks later...

That was cool, Adon. To me, it sounded like you were mainly in fry, though I am certainly likely to be wrong. And were able to make up lack of resonance with some echo.

You guys doing this low stuff makes me want to re-visit my desire to sing "Silent Lucidity," though I will likely crash and burn and get comments about not having balance emissions and whatever else is bad about me. It would be a matter of going outside my range and really don't have any low end to speak of.

And people have said that if you spend long enough, you can get there. Well, I used to try and sing the entire soundtrack of Jesus Christ, Superstar and never could manage the part of Caiaphas, as originally cast, which was bass to some baritone. "Fools you have no conception/ the stakes we are gambling are frighteningly high ..." that part I could do with a covered sound and it was okay but the lower parts were beyond me, no matter singing that durn thing for a couple of years. I was always brighter and more comfortable with the roles of Judas, Jesus, and even Mary of Magdalene. :lol:

Anyway, you guys are awesome, in my book. Just having the chutzpah to try it is something to be admired.

I realize now that I did it too low. Here is the fixed version:

I suppose the explanation for the sound you are hearing is that I EQ'd out the middle frequencies, to give it a more distant sound. Listen to this second take, I didn't EQ the middle.

https://www.box.com/s/n98uxa8nxvk3s9wg45n3

I like this "fixed" mix better, Adon. At least from the standpoint of just a fan listening to some singing. I think Old is still a little fuller in the bottom end. But, sheesh, green horns of envy, either one of you can do some notes that I cannot. Not that I am beating myself up because you can sing lower than I can. I just admire good work and I think you did a good job, Adon. I was thinking at one time that you might have some bass potential but really, you are a lyric baritone.

And yes, I am going to use those terms whether others like that, or not. (Truth be told, others that don't like me using those terms are not physically big enough to stop me, nor skilled enough in hand-to-hand combat to stop me, not that it would come to that, but I am going to use the terms as I see fit and no amount of brow-beating me is going to stop that. I have several decades of practice at "being stubborn.")

Anyway, I am glad to see where inspiration took you. And yes, though you can sing this low, I know you can sing most of my range, too. If anyone should be upset or filled with envy, it should be me. But I can't help it, I like what you did and, as I like to say from an old r & b song, "rockonwhichyabadself."

Its possible I am more of a baritone with extended low range... But I don't know. I've always had a hard time with hitting middle C in chest voice, and I still do (with normal technique)... Though I can get low notes loud, people always say it's vocal fry.. Though I would say it feels much different.

But you know I have spend weeks and weeks practicing to hit an A5, and I cannot do it. I can hit an Ab5 on a good day, and I can hit a G5 in falsetto if i really try, but not an A5.

Still sounding good is a different story, so even if I hit a note near it, I won't have the sound. I strive for high notes, that's my goal, and always has been haha. Unfortunately, I don't think I can go 5th and 6th octave much, it's killing me.

That is not vocal fry what Adon is doing, it is a proper lower extension and happens naturally when you use a medium-mass coordination on very low notes. It's more like "mixing" vocal fry with M1, but it is still not pure vocal fry and if you train it you can get really loud with it.

The original song in the movie is sung in a low-mass coordination, which makes the initial D2 sound a little windy, but therefore removes the fry joining the mix.

Really hard to tell from that sample if you are a bass or a low baritone Adon, you should try to sing it in a low-mass configuration. That's where you can really notice the note where your voice starts to get too windy or muffled.

That said, even the original singer in the movie is not a profound bass, maybe a medium bass, because he still has some wind on that D2. A profound bass would be able to hit that note without wind.

As for myself, I usually also get windy at D2 because I am not a profound bass. But I can do a D#2 and definitely an E2 with next to no wind (and no vocal fry mixing into it).

To illustrate the difference:

This is "low-mass": https://dl.dropbox.com/u/69231116/mistymountain_lowmass.mp3

This is "mixed-with-fry": https://dl.dropbox.com/u/69231116/mistymountain_frymix.mp3

I overdid it intentionally on the fry to show the difference. You can hear that at B2 I lose the fry within the mix, but in anything lower it's there. You can get much louder with fry but also get the fry-sound into your mix.

I also noticed that the low note in that song is actually even a C2, which is on "the trees like torches" (or maybe my tuning is not according to the original)

Arons mix is somewhere in between my two samples, including some fry, but not as much as my overdone fry-mix. You can also clearly hear me go breathy below E2 on the first sample and sometimes rumbly on notes below that on the second one. This indicates that below E2 is out-of-tessitura for me.

I hear a rich low tembre in the 1 song. Then I hear another song where the tembre is bright. I like the way you sing but I can't critique if there are any mistakes coz I don't hear them.