Heavy Metal Cover: "To Tame A Land" by Iron Maiden

• TMV World Legacy Member

http://soundcloud.com/george-williams-8/to-tame-a-land

As usual, constructive criticism is welcome. I still have some time for tweaking before we call it final.

I hit some notes above my usual range in this. I have been working through Kevin Richard's "Breaking The Chains" course, and it has helped a bit. Also I had to warm up and really focus to hit those high notes. I even managed to fit in some vibrato, which for me is a real leap forwards. Nothing like what Bruce can do though.

"To Tame A Land" is almost in "prog rock" territory from Maiden, it was on their 1984 album "Piece Of Mind". My friend Tony did all the instruments, I did vocals and mixing. Our version is fairly faithful to the original, but a notch heavier :)

The lyrics are based on the book Dune by Frank Herbert, and contains some ridiculous words and very fast-to-sing phrases. I particularly enjoyed the verse at 2'06:

"He is the Kwizatz Haderach,

He is born of Caladan,

And will take the Gom Jabbar"

... nothing ventured, nothing gained :D

George

George can often be found playing electric stringy things, and singing... [url=https://soundcloud.com/george-williams-8]and then this happens[/url]

Well done, George. At least in my opinion. One thing I have always liked about your singing is your articulation and diction. Very wagnerian. In fact, I came across that idea after reading one of my favorite books yet again. Florid singing was mainly legato and on vowels. Where as Wagner tied text to music with no reprieve. Enough opera comparisons.

I am reminded of what Bruce about others in the band bringing him lyrics like this. Want him sing passages worthy of Charles Dickens but up in the 4th octave (paraphrased.)

As for "Dune," I tried to read the books but never got more than halfway through the first. Frank Herbert put Dickens to shame in the shear tonnage of description department. And created this language for the Bene Gesserit, which then required a glossary and you would have to go back and forth.

In one of the few instances of books versus movies, the movie was better than the book. Especially thanks to Gordon Sumner, Patrick Stewart, and Kyle Maclaghlan.

Cheers to you and Tony.

You keep getting better George. There was one place in the song that it sounded like you were going to loose control but you regained it quickly. I only noticed because I was focusing on your singing.

Is "Breaking the Chains" a good program in your opinion?

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Thanks for the feeback guys.

@MDEM, a few minutes ago I udpated the song on same link as earlier. I retracked the vox and am not breaking up this time.

@Ron, yes I have a thing about pronouncing stuff clearly!

@JustinOthersinger. thanks for the link. Yes, you are right I am powering through the high notes. I can do them wihout powering but then it doesn't like the rest of the song. I will check out the link you gave, any help I can get is welcome.

George can often be found playing electric stringy things, and singing... [url=https://soundcloud.com/george-williams-8]and then this happens[/url]

As for "powering through the upper notes," I think you did fine, George. Even though you don't "sound" like Bruce, you sang it the way that he did.

Then, again, that comes from my bad habit of hearing the original and wanting the same emotion, though not necessarily the same "sound" in a cover. My bad. And you gave the emotion I was looking for and did a good job. That's your bad, George.

You need to learn to sing "crappy" sometimes. :lol: