Vocal Advice Needed - 24f! :)

• TMV World Legacy Member

I started taking singing lessons a few months ago but I've never really made my singing public. This is my first recording, and I was hoping to get some feedback on my singing! Please give me any advice you can think of for improvement. It would be much appreciated!

https://soundcloud.com/maddy-daigle/maddy-someone-like-you

P.S: What is the proper syntax for linking? Can't seem to get it to work. :(

Thanks! Do you have any advice on what I can do to improve?

For example: when I do very high belting notes for an extended period of time (such as when I try to sing Beyonce's Listen.

Especially the chorus.), my throat actually starts to feel pretty strained even though I'm hitting the notes. After singing the "Listen" song I actually feel pretty tired. Any advice on how to alleviate some of the stress on my vocal cords during high belting?

:) Very nice. The only thing that I noticed is that when you are starting with an I you have too much air coming through. It sounds like you are singing "Hi" instead of "I". Do not be discouraged because of this. It is very common. Just realizing that it happens will help to remove it.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Wow!! I never noticed that before. Thanks for pointing it out! I'll definitely make an effort to correct it, since it does sound kind of funny. >_<

Adele sings that very breathy also and you can hear the same thing happening occasionally listening to her. ;)

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

There is nothing wrong with the aspirated approach - It helps get you in the correct placement when singing a difficult note. That is why you hear a lot of pros doing it. As far as critique, I got nothin' lol. Your singing is beautiful. A coachcould help you figure out your straining concern.

www.drop-head.com

Thank you both for your comments! :) I think I'll play around with being able to belt out the notes without being too breathy.. just to see if I can. And if it doesn't sound as good I'll revert back?

Honestly, any criticism is great.. since I'm at the point where I want to do an open mic (I've never a actually sang in front of anyone aside from the occasional karaoke a couple times a year) and I really want to sound my best.

Any advice on singing lower notes? I feel I've got a good amount of power on the highs, but I seem to disappear when singing lower notes and I have difficulty pushing them out. Any tips on breathing.. should my mouth still be really open.. etc..? It seems like vocal teachers are always so concerned with having you hit the highs, that the lows aren't taught as much I suppose.

This is very, very good and there is not much to really critique you on. Since you really want something to work on, I'll tell you what I think.

The only thing I hear is some very small support issues at some places. You generate great support when you are belting but sometimes keeping a consistent flow for a run gives you a little bit of trouble. May I ask what your approach to support is and how you have trained it? Are you dropping all of your support on the low notes?

Support? I'm unsure what you mean by that. >_< Could you please clarify?

I guess that means I don't have much of an approach on support. Haha. :)

Alas, I've only been going to lessons for about 3 months and at 30 min a week the amount I've learned about vocal techniques has been pretty limited. Is support considered breathing? Or the shakiness that's in my voice sometimes? I do practice breathing from the diaphragm if that counts..

So keep the advice coming! I'm only going to continue to improve if I know what I should be improving on.. :)

By support I am talking about how you control breath pressure and airflow without constricting your throat. What type of practice do you do on breathing? Can you give me any exercises or explanations that your coach has given you?

Regardless, you do know how to support to some degree because you are belting with what sounds like very little strain.