Hallelujah cover (Leonard Cohen) constructive criticism requested.

• TMV World Legacy Member

I messed up in the chorus, I was off on the 4th Halelujah a couple times, and this was really pushing my upper register, but hopefully this shows what I'm capable of in a different way.

http://m.soundcloud.com/user996292020/hallelujah-cover

Hello MIB,

You have a good vocal foundation but as you said...you were off and in several places. My question is this...if you can hear that you are off, why not take the time to correct your pitches and do a good take on this song? If you can do better...than do better.

That's my take.

Around here...there's no such thing as too deep! http://www.youtube.com/user/thepoetician

Hello MIB,

You have a good vocal foundation but as you said...you were off and in several places. My question is this...if you can hear that you are off, why not take the time to correct your pitches and do a good take on this song? If you can do better...than do better.

That's my take.

First of all, thank you! I agree, I'm a perfectionist, if this were for YouTube or something I would be showing to TONS of people, I definitely would have waited and redone it. I was rushed when recording it and I wasn't able to re record it

unfortunately, but I wanted to upload it just to get your opinions on my style and whatnot. I'll re record it when I can, praise.:)

Maybe it's just me, but are you straining? When you hit that E, it sounds like you're pulling chest up instead of incorporating the pharyngeal resonator and more head tone. It's fine, but if you sing any higher i fear it might hurt your voice.

Maybe though, it's just my interpretation. You sing your range fine, try to hold the notes for longer though

Maybe it's just me, but are you straining? When you hit that E, it sounds like you're pulling chest up instead of incorporating the pharyngeal resonator and more head tone. It's fine, but if you sing any higher i fear it might hurt your voice.

Maybe though, it's just my interpretation. You sing your range fine, try to hold the notes for longer though

Oh no you're absolutely right. That E is pretty much my peak at the moment, and I have to strain a bit to get there. It's improving though. I've been working on it the past couple weeks and it's already much easier.

Cool man! i'd suggest working on developing a strong foundation in the chest, and then improve your range by doing lip rolls and other exercises which take strain off the voice. You'll find your range will be increased by so much once you "unlock" the use of head voice! it'll take your voice to a C5 most likely, well that's what it did for me. It will probably be very wimpy and weak to start off with but everybody's is! just keep working on that

I listened to this and the Hallelujah cover. It sounds as if you are purposely trying to add rasp for a stylistic effect. Don't do that yet.

It uses more tension on the cords and more air passing over them to get that effect. In other words it is harder to control. Use a more relaxed but supported sound for now. Adding the rasp when starting out is like putting the icing on before you bake the cake.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Cool man! i'd suggest working on developing a strong foundation in the chest, and then improve your range by doing lip rolls and other exercises which take strain off the voice. You'll find your range will be increased by so much once you "unlock" the use of head voice! it'll take your voice to a C5 most likely, well that's what it did for me. It will probably be very wimpy and weak to start off with but everybody's is! just keep working on that

Oh cool! I'll try, I'd love to increase my range and use head voice! Thank you!

I listened to this and the Hallelujah cover. It sounds as if you are purposely trying to add rasp for a stylistic effect. Don't do that yet.

It uses more tension on the cords and more air passing over them to get that effect. In other words it is harder to control. Use a more relaxed but supported sound for now. Adding the rasp when starting out is like putting the icing on before you bake the cake.

That makes sense, thank you. I'll try to work on it. That's a fantastic analogy by the way.

Thanks. Sometimes when I say things like that, other people just scratch their heads wondering WT# is he talking about. :P

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

I messed up in the chorus, I was off on the 4th Halelujah a couple times, and this was really pushing my upper register, but hopefully this shows what I'm capable of in a different way.

http://m.soundcloud.com/user996292020/hallelujah-cover

I don't know why, but when I click that link, it shows me the name of the song, but there is no track. :o