Elton John - Your Song and Muse - Butterflies/Hurricanes (+bonus)

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi!

I recorded two songs today. I'm no recording engineer so I just made sure that the vocals were very audible.

I'm quite happy with them apart from timing where I failed a lot. Also see additional comments.

Elton John - Your Song

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19750082/recordings/Anders%20-%20Elton%20John%20-%20Your%20Song.mp3

I got bored after half the song, MDEW was right... it should be higher! So it really is recoreded in two "styles".

Butterflies and Hurricanes - Muse

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19750082/recordings/Anders%20-%20Muse%20-%20Butterflies%20and%20hurricanes%20%28partial%29.mp3

I failed after/during the first chorus. I will come back to this song later when my technique is more solid!

And a song I recoreded some time ago:

Damien Rice - Cannonball:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19750082/recordings/Anders-Cannonball.mp3

Damien Rice sings everything beautifully. I just did my best!

Would love some comments and harsh critique! Perhaps don't get hung up on timing; that is something I will work on a lot if/when I come back to them...!

I loved what you did with YOUR SONG. I am not familier with the other songs but I liked them.

The pitch and feeling were much better this time. You seemed to start doubting yourself at the end got a little shakey and week.

The only real advice that I can give is be confident in your voice and keep singing. :)

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

I loved what you did with YOUR SONG. I am not familier with the other songs but I liked them.

The pitch and feeling were much better this time. You seemed to start doubting yourself at the end got a little shakey and week.

The only real advice that I can give is be confident in your voice and keep singing. :)

Note that I did not do "your song" here before, but i was inspired to do it because of the other version. I liked his tone better than mine!

Thanks for the feedback!

Sorry, I thought this was a redo of an earlier recording. In the past month there have been several members who submitted YOUR SONG and each time lack of support and low confidence where the main points of issues.

This version had high energy even in the low parts in the beginning of the song. That was one of my observations in the other posts for this and other lower songs. Even if a song is in the low range and has a sad feeling there is still energy and passion to be presented. People tend to think low lazy song.....low energy needed and wind up singing flat or having other problems.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

I'm curious if anyone has any comments on my tone. I'm not 100% pleased with it, somehow sounds a bit annoying. Anyone disagrees or knows why it sounds that way?

I have a tendency to tense jaw/cheeks.

I haven't really worked much on shaping the sound, apart from twang to make higher tones possible...

You honestly "cover" songs. You make them your own, do them your way, which will lead to success. For example, Sheryl Crow did a cover of "Sweet Child of Mine" that became iconic, in it's own right. Check out youtube and see all the young ladies doing the Crow version, that's how inspiring it was.

I think you have a dramatic voice. Which made it a good fit for "Butterflies and Hurricanes." It's a dramatic song. And I could easily see this being synchro licensed for a movie. First off, get it recorded and edited well. Get a lawyer. Pay the copyright lease, then market it to music coordinators at movie studios and companies. You will get performance rights from the synchro license and if you release this on an album of yours, you will get mechanical rights from duplication and distribution.

Artistically, I like what you did with "Your Song." And, in following the advice to make the song your own, you did and bravo. I don't know how a general audience may receive this. 50/50, I suppose. So, I might say, choose the right tone for the song, whichever song that it is. The tone worked on "Hurricanes" but was a little distracting, to me, on "Your Song." Not technically wrong, just different than what I expected. But I liked it, artistically. But then, I am an odd guy. Other people may have different views.

"Cannon Ball." I liked that one best, in all dimensions. Good tone, pitch, relevant volume, excellent recording and sound value editing. This one is ready for release and you could also synchro license this one, as well. Same legal advice applies. I am not saying you need to do more soft, balladic covers but you could make a career out of this, and others have.

You honestly "cover" songs. You make them your own, do them your way, which will lead to success. For example, Sheryl Crow did a cover of "Sweet Child of Mine" that became iconic, in it's own right. Check out youtube and see all the young ladies doing the Crow version, that's how inspiring it was.

I think you have a dramatic voice. Which made it a good fit for "Butterflies and Hurricanes." It's a dramatic song. And I could easily see this being synchro licensed for a movie. First off, get it recorded and edited well. Get a lawyer. Pay the copyright lease, then market it to music coordinators at movie studios and companies. You will get performance rights from the synchro license and if you release this on an album of yours, you will get mechanical rights from duplication and distribution.

Artistically, I like what you did with "Your Song." And, in following the advice to make the song your own, you did and bravo. I don't know how a general audience may receive this. 50/50, I suppose. So, I might say, choose the right tone for the song, whichever song that it is. The tone worked on "Hurricanes" but was a little distracting, to me, on "Your Song." Not technically wrong, just different than what I expected. But I liked it, artistically. But then, I am an odd guy. Other people may have different views.

"Cannon Ball." I liked that one best, in all dimensions. Good tone, pitch, relevant volume, excellent recording and sound value editing. This one is ready for release and you could also synchro license this one, as well. Same legal advice applies. I am not saying you need to do more soft, balladic covers but you could make a career out of this, and others have.

Thanks for the comments! With tone on your song, do you mean during the second half or through the entire song!? I'm guessing the latter!

Would your statement about synchro licensing stand even if I don't do the music backdrops? I just sing here :)

I'm currentlynin a process where I try to figure out if my sound is pleasing or annoying. Hard to judge oneself... Someone described my voice as having an uniqur piercing quality. Still not sure if that is a complemnt or not :)

Thanks again for listening!

Would your statement about synchro licensing stand even if I don't do the music backdrops? I just sing here :)

Still stands. You are singing a song written by someone else. Whoever created the backing track or karaoke track has already paid a blanket fee to the songwriting org for use of the material, even using different instruments than the original recording from 1970.