Symphony X - Paradise Lost

• TMV World Legacy Member

So, I said I was going to post something more dynamic/melodic!

Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GNGxiWnh3g

For being a fraud (not being able to actually sing, just "grit" and scream my way through any song) I think I did a pretty good job. Haha! Jokes aside, I wasn't born with a pleasant sound on my voice, so it's hard for me to sing like this because I think I sounds like crap whatever I do. Haha!

As usual, type whatever you feel like! :)

Awsome job man!

I think this was both the best and the worst I've heard from you (and by worst, it's still very enjoyable mind you). On your high screams you have an awsome sound but most of all it sounds like you are alot more confident there. Find that confidence in the softer places and they will sound alot better too.

All of the "issues" (again, MINOR details) you already have the technique to fix, it's just choices of vowels, pronounciations and timing. Fix those and this is pro level imo.

Very nice job!

Cheers!

Awsome job man!

I think this was both the best and the worst I've heard from you (and by worst, it's still very enjoyable mind you). On your high screams you have an awsome sound but most of all it sounds like you are alot more confident there. Find that confidence in the softer places and they will sound alot better too.

All of the "issues" (again, MINOR details) you already have the technique to fix, it's just choices of vowels, pronounciations and timing. Fix those and this is pro level imo.

Very nice job!

Cheers!

Thank you! To be frank, I'm a little bit more happy for the "worst I've heard"-remark, because that means I could get out of this a little better! :)

I'm weak in regards of pronunciation/enunciation, but I don't really know how to fix it.

It might be connected to your first point; confidence. In the lower register I have very little of it, and I put all of my focus on being on pitch as much as I can. However, I guess better pronunciation/enunciation might help me be on pitch easier.

If anyone has some more in-depth pointers concerning pronunciation/enunciation, please feel free to potter up a message! :)

As far as timing goes, it's just me not knowing the song well enough and being undisciplined; not staying the course. I tend to be spontaneous and screw things up :D Were it the "real deal", I'd definitely follow my game plan though.

if you want to you can add me to skype, i can help you work this song to perfection. Ive got great experience recording, me and a friend have recorded several hundred songs :P

if you want to you can add me to skype, i can help you work this song to perfection. Ive got great experience recording, me and a friend have recorded several hundred songs :P

I really appreciate the suggestion :D, but I've had someone analysing my voice and corrected it on the spot before and it wasn't my cup of tea actually :/ I did as I was instructed, but it never really stuck. Felt almost like I was some robot executing commands, nothing more.

I sure like advice, tips and pointers (otherwise I wouldn't be here), but in the end I have to work through things in my own pace, find my own way and have my own revelations to make things stick.

I mean, I often know I should do this and that, but, if it's only "shallow knowledge", I won't remember to incorporate it when I'm actually singing.

Well ofc its up to you, im not gonna force anything down your troat :) Im not intrested in showing you technique or taking away your musicality or personal choices.

What i would show you is more in terms of.

1. how to break down a song, lyrics feelings what to think about.

2. small mental things you can keep in mind wich instantly helps the end result.

3. getting you in cue with the music :P

then we would work from a backtrack of this song me and friends recorded of this song, and if the results are desirable he will mix it for us.

dont get me wrong either. Im not in on this because im a kindred nice guy that just wants to help :) I aspire to become a vocalcoach and i hear stuffs in your voice that i think I can bring out.

I belive it will make you in class of a professional singer, to bad il never get to know.

Cheers bro and good luck with your singing

Enander, time to give you some tough love because you are just asking for it, whether you consciously realize it or not.

You said you think your voice sounds like crap when you sing the cleaner parts of a song like this. Well, your opinion of your voice is what is actually crap. That is, your voice is fine, your perception of it stinks.

I guess I need to come over there and bully you into leaving you alone and let you sing. Sounds difficult, sure. Some days are easier than others ..... :D

It's okay to go your own way, provided you have the strength to find what is good in your voice, as well as what you want to change.

Jens I have no problem just talking, and try to get perspective of things! It's the whole thing of me singing and someone telling me what to do that doesn't resonate well with me for some reason.

Sounds like a nice goal, and I'm sure there are loads of people which are more susceptible to that kind of learning than I am.

Your last assessment was spot on, so I'd be happy if you'd keep giving me some feedback, whenever you like it, when I upload something! :)

ronws Haha! I don't mind tough love!

While I stand by my comment (the toughest of tough love is the one I bring onto myself :P), I do understand that it may act as an impediment. But, at the same time, big room for improvement is even a big room of possibilities.

One step in the right direction regarding my clean voice will probably take me farther than one step in the right direction regarding my grittier voice (seeing as it's more developed, and the changes are probably more incremental).

As far as autodidacticism goes, I may not the be the best example of it, but I like it. A great deal in my passion that is singing is (while listening to what other vocalists have to say/browsing through seemingly endless theory) to discern my own way. I know where I want to go, even if I at the time don't know how to get there. Skimming through one or two articles, discussing it with someone and experimentation usually helps me off to a good start at least.

Sure, I might have reinvented the wheel more than once, but I don't mind :) I see it more as a sign that I'm capable of learning things properly on my own.

Just don't reject the softer cleaner tones in your voice as weak. They give context to the meaner tones. Like a work of art where shadow complements light, form complements detail.