Don't Rain on My Parade- Barbra Streisand (Cover)

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi this is my first video, and i know the quality isn't very good but i would like to hear peoples opinions on the way i sing. Any tips?

Sassy! On the money pitch wise. Just a couple of points really. You could do with playing with the dynamics. It was all pretty much belted out and could do with some sections being toned down a bit I think (just my feeling as not familiar with the original). Also the diction could do with being cleaned up a touch - I had to really listen to understand the lyrics a couple of times. There were maybe a couple of points where you were a touch nasal as well but not really enough to ruin it.

But overall I enjoyed it - I think it sounds like a challenge to sing as the melody is all over the place and you did it well. And how long was that note at the end? I ran out of breath listening :D

Thank you so much for your output! I'm currently looking for some singing lessons so I can correct some of those and other imperfections.:D

You have a very good voice, a lot of things are in place. I enjoyed the performance quite a lot. However I think you may be leaning too much towards a high-larynx Kermit the frog sort of sound. It is used in musical theatre, especially for vocal emphasis and effects (like the growl that you do a lot, which is great btw) and in modern pop music by singers like Rihanna and Britney, and of course Christina Aguilera -- but of course you know that since the "I" (_I_ gotta fly) at 0:58 is straight out of Christina's playbook and sounds fantastic just thrown in there.

However it can definitely be abused. If it is used all the time it no longer sounds exciting. Sometimes less is more. I would say to experiment with a more open throat "yawn" sort of sound/feeling. It's good to find extremes so that you know where the middle is. Try experimenting with phrases and making them more dynamic in timbre.

Keep singing!

edit:typo

I don't think there is a problem with the way you belted this. It is a broadway style tune and belting is the SOP of Broadway and off-Broadway.

You do have a thick sound that is reminiscent of both Babs and Jewel. You could do either one justice and give them a run for the money.

Nothing wrong with getting a coach or taking lessons, as long as they don't take away from the Ethel Merman - esque power that you have.

Rockonwhichyabadself.

Well done! My only critiques are to work on your diction, particularly when singing big broadway numbers like this. Also, don't rely too much on the growl. When used properly it can be an effective tool, but it was a little overdone and lost some of it's power. I also would play a little with the dynamics. I think you have a great quality to your voice, but the entire song was belted. This is a powerful song, however, you need to give yourself somewhere to go. if you start out at full strength, the big ending is less effective. These are just nitpicky things though. Great job!

:) You don't mind being loud, do you? :P It is great that you are not afraid of being heard. Yes, you have a great sound. I love the growl (I never could figure out how to do that). Like others have said, Dynamics is the difference between loud and soft. If you start off full steam you have no where to go to add excitement. The growl is icing. Too much icing spoils the cake.

All of this does not take away from the fact that you sounded wonderful and exciting. Just think how much more wonderful you could sound with these other things in place.

Please send more. :D

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Great job! I like your growls here and there. I think there reason it sounds so samey when it comes to dynamics has more to do with the recording (the microphone quality). However, you could indeed try to be a bit more dynamic. But it’s hard in such a song. It’s a bit Christina Aguilera like; by that I mean the constant level belt.But, power, ease, and attitude. Good stuff.

I'm only laughing on the outside
My smile is just skin deep
If you could see inside I'm really crying
You might join me for a weep.