"Pull Me Under", by Dream Theater - TVS Student

• TMV World Legacy Member

David - Welcome to the forum! The performance was excellent. You've got a great voice and that is a tough song. You mentioned you've been singing all your life. Question: Did you always have that upper range? Or did a coach help you to sing in that higher range at some point in your development?

Hi Geno! Thanks for checking out this video.

I've always had a pretty broad range. No, I have not really worked with any coaches to expand my range.

In the past, I have performed in choral and musical/opera as anywhere from baritone to countertenor (alto). In contemporary rock bands, I have always been a high melodic vocalist. My most comfortable "vocal center" singing position though is first tenor or countertenor. For as long as I can remember though, I have intentionally and routinely done vocal exercises to work on different vocal ranges (low, mid, high). Singing is an athletic activity, and as such, the different vocal ranges require regular practice to develop them and to keep them in shape. I've found that "expanding the range" and keeping the vocal extremes in shape (either low or high) requires more routine practice than keeping the normal "vocal center" range in shape.

I dedicated my life long ago to performing vocally at an "Olympic Athlete" level (at least, that's my goal!). As such, just like an Olympic athlete, I have routine practice, work out, have dietary regimens that I employ as part of my daily life to help develop the desired musculature and skill to deliver the last ounce of results that I can derive from my body.

An example of me working on "low" range:

Johnny Cash - Hurt (

)

Some examples of me working on mid/low range:

System of a Down - Toxicity (

)

Alice In Chains - Check My Brain (

)

Metallica - Until It Sleeps (

)

Some examples of me working on high range:

Dio - Rainbow In The Dark (

)

Judas Priest - Painkiller (

)

I hope that's helpful!

David A. Lyon
Melodic Metal/Rock Vocalist from Seattle, WA, USA!
www.facebook.com/DavidLyonOfficial/
www.youtube.com/zimfar/

I've been working with Robert for about 9 months to help tweak and extra polish. He's a great coach. I'm a strong proponent that nobody is ever "done" or "good enough", there's always room for improvement and new learning - forever continue improving.

This, I agree with most. And that is what I get most when I look through my 2.0 stuff. Something that tunes up a thing. Like Robert's vids on breathing. And vocalises, which I prefer to just scales. Even with out an "assigned" vocalise, I would instinctually do devil's tri-tone at different parts of the range. Because managing intervals is a song. And vice versa.

But most importantly, the never-ending improvement. I, too, have sang a long time. And I have made progress that even I can see and feel while in this forum, in spite of one or two others who have personally told me that I don't know how to sing and need to start all over again from scratch. I still think it's worth my time to be here.

Either I learn directly from someone here or I learn something by having been inspired by something or someone here. It's a passion. And my refuge from my work world.

I am realistic, no one wants to hear a middle-aged guy singing like it's 1974. In fact, I have a perfect record. I have been rejected from every audition I did in the 90's. :lol: Even if they liked the sample song that I would sing. ("She's Some Kind of Wonderful.")

And my record remains unbroken. Even since being here and sending files and queries to the "seeking vocalists" posts, most times, I don't even get a "thanks, but no thanks." My brother, slstone, is the only person who wanted my voice for one particular song.

I've never been paid to sing, never "booked a gig." I've been volunteered for karaoke. And I have sang in front of others who were careless enough to leave a guitar within my reach.

I've always received applause. Though that may have been my cue to leave. :lol:

Anyway, yes, we are always working on something.