Critique my voice!

• TMV World Legacy Member

I like Kamelot a lot so I was pleasantly surprised when the song started!

I am no professional, but I think you have a really nice voice. You tend to drop off at the end of longer notes. Try to hold them all the way. At the end, you use falsetto while Roy doesn't. Have you tried it without going into falsetto?

Thank you! You're right, I don't know why I tend to drop off at the end of long notes - thanks for pointing it out. I'll definitely work on that. I do remember feeling like I was tripping on some of the ends of notes - I think I was trying to draw out the consonants instead of the vowels. Still very much a newbie.

I can do it without falsetto, but my larynx tends to raise and I sound whiny. I need to work on being comfortable at higher notes.

I love Kamelot, huge fan of them. Since you're also a fan, even though it's not to the point I want it to be at, I thought I'd post a recording of Abandoned I made the same night. Got pitchy at the end when I forgot what part of the song I was in and thus which variant of that verse to sing. The high notes are also super sketchy.

http://f.cl.ly/items/113M3a1w2I132w1M2j3D/Abandoned.m4a

Sorry for not replying, I didn't have internet access for a few days! I'm baffled no one else has commented in this thread in the meantime. You sound great dude... Slightly pitchy at the end as you pointed out, but I think you have the foundation to build an epic voice on. Keep going!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

I did want to do it in head voice, but I kept having tension. I can do it in head voice now with little issue, unless I've wrung out my voice all day.

It's just a constant battle to expand my head voice comfort zone. I get frustrated at the slow progress but I can do songs now that weren't remotely possible a few months ago, so I know I'm making progress - just much, much more slowly than I would prefer... :)

Hey bro it sounds good, to me it only feels like your chickening out. Just step back and listen to your energy, as you go higher the energy and effort is to low. Your actualy lowering your energy(wich is already quite low) as you move up, try give it more effort up in the highrange and those notes will pop

Cheers

I really like your voice, it's very smooth. I do agree with Jens on the energy though...you absolutely have the potential just push it more and don't be afraid to put your instrument out there : ) xoxo