My first attempt at harmonies - Orleans "Dance With Me"

• TMV World Legacy Member

I've wanted to try this song for a while. It's not a particularly difficult song to sing, but doing the harmonies myself is something I've never tried. I listened to the original a few times before trying it to isolate the harmonies. As far as I could tell there were two distinct vocals going on, with a third that seemed to double the second to give a chorus effect. So on the first vocal track I sang the main melody with a little reverb and delay, the second I sang without a filter, and the third with just a slight chorus effect to fill it out. Please let me know what you guys think. :D

Sounds fabulous. Your harmonies are very tight, which is not always easy to do. And the main vocals are superb.

Thank you. I felt I was a bit flat near the beginning. I always seem to have issues starting out a little flat. I think it's because I'm not as relaxed as i should be. Perhaps some warm up exercises would help. Any suggestions?

You did a great job Bernie. Everything blended well and the song sounded just like I remember from my early years.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

I thought it sounded fine. However, for relaxing, I remember the movie "Anger Mangagement," get a Jack Nicholson squint in my eyes and say, "goosenfrabe." Which, of course, should be followed by a rousing chorus of "I Feel Pretty."

:D

Sure, there a lot of exercises you could do. Common warmup exercises are scales / arpeggios on semi-occludeds, like "ng", or lip rolls and then progressing to open vowels. And simple sirens. The best is to watch an instructor do these on an instructional video so you can get a feel for the weight and range.