Okay --- an MP3 file instead of a wav file. :)

• TMV World Legacy Member

I do not have the original on this computer, so I converted the wav file to mp3. There was a lot of clipping

in the conversion, so I compressed. The quality will not be as good as the wav.

I am learning slowly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bs57w6z0e15m55b/Last%20Night%20MP3.mp3

I like the song. The harmonies fit well. I have no actual advice for you. I do have an opinion which is only my own preference. I would like to hear the song without too many harmony parts. At the most two extra voices in choice places. The words tend to get lost with too many voices.

The background vocals as a rhythm section is cool as an effect but using it throughout was a little too much.

I did not detect any faults in the singing itself or the blend of the harmonies.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

I like the song. The harmonies fit well. I have no actual advice for you. I do have an opinion which is only my own preference. I would like to hear the song without too many harmony parts. At the most two extra voices in choice places. The words tend to get lost with too many voices.

The background vocals as a rhythm section is cool as an effect but using it throughout was a little too much.

I did not detect any faults in the singing itself or the blend of the harmonies.

Thanks MDEW. I may have more time in the Dec break (unless my wife drags me off some place) to focus, and I will try some harmonies with clean guitar work at the back. I get tired of the same songs, and so I'll do new ones. I want to get to a certain point before I attempt the ones I really want to do. :) I really enjoy original harmony work, without gadgets.

I have never heard this song before. Is it a cover or original?

The original song was done by Pete Seeger (who was famous for his songs). I did the Simon and Garfunkel version,

though I did not have their background music or sound system. As I recall they were big on doubling voices and

U67s ..... but I was a child when they were singing. They are excellent.

I almost forgot about Pete Seeger. Simon and Garfunkel were a big influence on me. I cannot believe that I haven't heard this song before.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

funny, I was about to post up that you have a S&G sound to this tune before I read that S&G did this tune! I really liked this version. I agree with MDEW that maybe easing up on the harmonies would be a good change, but it certainly isn't necessary. My only real critique is in the musical portion, not the vocal. In the music the "horns" sound just a bit off tempo through the middle of the song. That's it. That's all of my critique. Well done sir! :-)

Eric

funny, I was about to post up that you have a S&G sound to this tune before I read that S&G did this tune! I really liked this version. I agree with MDEW that maybe easing up on the harmonies would be a good change, but it certainly isn't necessary. My only real critique is in the musical portion, not the vocal. In the music the "horns" sound just a bit off tempo through the middle of the song. That's it. That's all of my critique. Well done sir! :-)

Eric

Thanks much, Bernie.

Actually, I know a couple of things need to be fixed.

First, it was my first experience with using horn sounds etc. but what I did sounds pretty corny (it was a bit tongue-in-cheek) and you are correct about the timing. This was an audacity adjustment and I was sloppy. But even worse, I think the horns sound like a small group of elephants going through a poohing ritual. I have to migrate to some better effects. :)

Second, because I am trying to get a clean guitar sound (albeit very simple finger work) while singing first voice, and paying attention to recording level and mic distance etc at the same time, not having a drum-beat in the background makes my timing not constant. I can hear it. So I need to find a way to fix that, maybe by getting some percussion going first. I have to learn how to do that --- I still don't know how to. I am learning slowly. :)