Piano Man 2006 My 1st Recordings (Be honest but gentle.Heehee)

• TMV World Legacy Member

Good job, excellent mixing skills. This recording sounded well-balanced, to me. You used different vowels than I would have expected. Such as the la - de dah chorus, you end on d-aw. Your placement is more forward than I would choose for myself but you've got good pitch.

Many thanks Ron for the nice compliments on the mixing and my pitch! :) Although after hearing it quite a few times, I think I did notice a few sharps and a few flats.:rolleyes: But I don't think it was lacking in passion.:D I only say that cuz I consider myself to be much more of a passionate singer rather than a technical singer, although I am constantly trying to better all my skills as a singer.:)

When you mentioned the word Placement, were you referring to timing or something else?

Yeah, I think I actually tried to end on DUM but I don't think I was close enough to the Mic when I sang that part so you can't really hear it that well and in some parts, I can't hear it at all and it does sound like D-aw to me. Plus my style has always been to eliminate some of those original La's.;)

Hmm, you have a good voice, but if I were to nitpick, it would be that you have a very nasal delivery. It's odd because it sounds like it helps you deliver on the belty stuff, but it kind of takes away from the feel a bit on the verses. It becomes especially apparent on vowels. I don't have perfect pitch, but it does seem like you have good pitch. You have a very powerful voice; I like it :cool:

Thanks RockNSoulLover, I really appreciate the compliments and the Critique! : ) All I can say to the critique is guilty as charged .Heehee I believe that over the years, I have developed some Nasal Polyps and I think that's where the nasal sound is coming from. I really don't know what to do about this other than getting surgery and I'm the kind of guy that cringes at going to the doctor :| and then worries even more about the bill.:rolleyes:

However, I think you're the first person that ever put any kind of a positive spin on it, in regards to it helping with the delivery of the high parts.:lol: Thanks, I'll take whatever I can get. ;)

Thanks RockNSoulLover, I really appreciate the compliments and the Critique! : ) All I can say to the critique is guilty as charged .Heehee I believe that over the years, I have developed some Nasal Polyps and I think that's where the nasal sound is coming from. I really don't know what to do about this other than getting surgery and I'm the kind of guy that cringes at going to the doctor :| and then worries even more about the bill.:rolleyes:

However, I think you're the first person that ever put any kind of a positive spin on it, in regards to it helping with the delivery of the high parts.:lol: Thanks, I'll take whatever I can get. ;)

Nasal polyps? Odd, I never even heard of those till now. Interesting.

I don't think it's a big deal. My voice tends to get throaty/growly. Everyone's voice kind of veers to one side or the other most of the time.

Also, it's nitpicking. A lot of people have interesting tonalities that work. Axl Rose's high stuff is very nasal (much more so than what is here). Just make it your style.

Also, you might be able to do some cool stuff with those polyps! It probably changes your whole resonance a bit, so play around and see what tones and stuff you can come up with. Mariah Carey has vocal nodules that she uses to sound much lower than her natural soprano at times.

Your sound is nasal generally but i think i like it when you go higher, if "i like it" seems too much for you, at least i think its nice. I didnt spot any pitch issues but i have not a good ear for that, the 2nd time i heared it i noticed here and there you are out of the rythm for very small amount of time but it was audiable.

Thats a very nice cover so i tried to find mini spots to mention or as they say nit pick.

Sorry about the late reply, guys.

RockNSoulLover, thanks for the advice and the encouraging words, I really appreciate it!:D Those were some interesting points you made about tonal quality and how different singers were abke to turne a negative into a positive. :) I actually have incorporated the nasal part of my voice into my style to some extent and fortunately, for some songs, it's been pretty well received since Bed Of Roses by Bon Jovi has been one of my most requested songs, back in the Karaoke Days. :cool: However, to be perfectly honest, it was always down 2 half steps.Heehee

Thanks, Singingnewbie! : ) Glad to hear that you also like the nasal part of my voice when I sing high.:) Nit picking is exactly what I'm looking for! ;) In regards to the out of rhythm comment you made, I say GREAT Call!:) You spotted what I believe is my weakest skill as a vocalist; In one word, timing. :| I'm certainly not going to blame this on myself!:lol: So I blame it on Karaoke!Heehee

If you have really good CDG's where the letters of every word are changing color at the perfect time, you can become lazy and not practice hearing your ques or not work on developing a really good sense of rhythm. To this day, I'm still trying to improve my timing.:rolleyes:

Anyway, thank you so much for your comments, guys, I greatly appreciate it! :0 )

Ed

Rockandsoullover had it right. The far forward placement is the nasal tone, so much it sounds like through the nose. Everyone uses some nasalence, which is resonance in the nasal cavities.

As such, some styles actually use this sound for the sound ideal of that style. For example, some country and western, some R&B. Not all r&b. For example, Daryl Hall does not have an overt nasal sound but he did a lot of r&b back in the day. These days, he's more into blues and assorted pop. I like his show "Live from Daryl's House." Various guests go to this farm and play a few songs and eat really good food prepared by a guest chef from local restaurants. And yes, sometimes, they will play an old H&O song. But I digress.

I don't prefer, as much as others might, the overt nasal and through the nose tones. But that is an aesthetic consideration, a personal perspective. So, I separate it from technical issues such as pitch accuracy and volume. Though others will see the amount of nasality as a technical issue, especially from the perspective of a sound ideal that eschews overt nasality.