Leader of the Band

• TMV World Legacy Member

I've gotten out of the habit of explanations but I wanted to explain this one.

Dan Fogelberg is my wife's favorite singer/songwriter. I had started to learn this song before and she asked me to stop. It was making her cry. Not because I was butchering it but because it brought back memories and, at the time, Mr. Fogelberg had passed away not long before that, from prostate cancer. (Guys, especially over 40, if you have the means, get checked. At early stage detection, it's a 97 % survival rate.)

Anyway, so MDEW did a cover of this song that inspired me and I knew I would have to record it, too.

One of the last public performances Dan gave, he introduced this song thusly:

"If I could only write one song in my career, it would be this one."

(Amen, brother.)

"Leader of the band" originally by Dan Fogelberg

https://app.box.com/s/4nj5ojgcewmht290ximx

• TMV World Legacy Member

I was watching The Beatles on Youtube and checked in to the forum to see if there was anything new. I saw your post and stopped The Beatles video to listen to you.

I was not disappointed. :) This is a very hard song to play and sing at the same time unless you spent months of practice on it.

Your voice fits this song. I always have trouble transitioning to the chorus. :P But it seemed natural to you.

I would say that it is only the good ones who die young but some of the greats are still going strong in their 70s and beyond. I wonder what songs would have been created if Dan Fogleberg, Jim Croce, Jimmi Hendix, Janis Joplin, Mama Cass, Elvis, John Lennon...........would have lived into their 80s and beyond.

Thank God we have the songs that they left us.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."