Mezzo-Soprano trying to transition to rock-style singing

• TMV World Legacy Member

For years I've only ever sung classical, mezzo or soprano range, but never felt good enough.

Now I'm trying for a much deeper and lower sound that's not classical...

How is this?

Good enough for a pub/small-venue band?

Thanks!

Well, it sounds good. At this point you just can't sing bad, or unpleasantly. The thing is that you are not providing the listener with the effect you probably want. If you want a deeper and lower sound you will have to train your chest voice, which a lot of women ( mostly the ones that sing classical ) neglect. I think if you do train the hell out of your chest voice your sound will change a lot, for the better. Your highs will be a lot more powerful, with either classical or rock style, and your middle and lower range will be killer.

I don't listen to many female vocals :/ But what I have heard has been mostly on Ayreon. The composer uses a lot of different girls in his various albums, and some of them have quite low or big voices. In 101101101 ( or whatever ) there is a vocalist with a huge voice that I thought was a guy.

And check out Nina Hagen's early stuff, haha. It's very interesting.

All depends on what you want, when you sing classical your using your falsetto/headvoice which is very hooty it's also very dominant in that clip. In rock singing your mainly using your speakingregister/chestvoice, it's pretty hard to change specialy if ur uses to classical.

Cheers

I really like the sound of your voice, especially in the lower part of your range. Yes, definitely good enough for a pub, small venue type band. I think song choice would be important for you to consider while you are working on your upper chest voice range. I don't think that this song would be the best to showcase your ability right now, though it's not beyond your ability. If I were you, I would work on a set list that stays in the lower part of your range and only occasionally stretches you up. That will probably give you the best results in the short term. Then, while you are working on performing those songs, you can be working on this song to get your upper chest voice in good shape for those exposed parts. In my opinion, this song exposes your head voice too much for the genre.

It sounds like this song hangs out in your bridge quite a bit. I think you could probably work on bringing some more chest resonance into your bridge to help strengthen the bridge. By doing so, you'll smooth out the transition from chest into head, and then this song would begin to fit more into your ability. I hope that makes sense...

The Aspiring Singer
Resources and inspiration for aspiring singers - from beginners to professionals
www.theaspiringsinger.com
Twitter: @theaspiringsing

I really liked your voice, and I think it worked well with this arrangement. However, I think you need to get a heavier sound if you want to sing rock. Maybe bringing more chest, as some people have suggested, maybe adding twang or a more pharyngeal sound. Whenever someone mentions female rock singing, I always remember of Heart (Anne Wilson?) because of the tone of the singer. Anyways, I'm not vocal coach, nor an advanced student, and this is my personal taste for female rock singers. Keep on Rocking! :cool:

Anyway, Joyce, you have a nice and round voice that reminded me a little of Karen Carpenter. Don't be afraid to go low. In fact, the Carpenter's song was originally keyed higher and the producer dropped the key because he heard something in her lower tones that was missed when singing higher.

Not that you can't also sing some higher stuff but you did this really well and I like the tones in your voice.

Wow thanks guys... I've not had this much online positivity to my singing before :D

I really think I'm 'onto something' here with training my lows, I love singing classical, but I do not feel like I can stand out doing it, so to speak...

Plus the music I'm into has become so saturated with high vocals, it's almost unusual to have a low female voice. (And I do somewhat suffer from the character trait where if too many people do one thing, I have to do the other XD)

I just think that, coming from classical training, I've been going about it the 'wrong' way, starting high and trying to bring that quality down (I don't mean I've been wrong in the damaging way, just that the quality kept having that classical feel...),

I should be bringing the low quality up to the high notes and giving them more power that way...

Anyways, I've got my work cut out for me :P Thanks again ^^