Cover Autumn Leaves - Critique please

• TMV World Legacy Member

[[[NO filters, effects, reverb, or other effects.]]]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j78xwt3qfzd05j9/2nd.mp4?dl=0

I am aware that the second to last word I went into falsetto. I didn't connect accidently. :P

Otherwise, HAVE at it!! Please! :):D:):D

Newbie- Amy

I welcome your ideas. I hope it's "alright" to bump my own thread here. :) First post today. I'll get the hang of it soon. BTW- my mic on my mbp is sucky. Sorry. :/

"I'd rather be wrong and get it right; then be right and truely wrong."

Well, I think you sing well! But I'm not sure about the interpretation. I had to listen twice and the second time without watching. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I was bored by the song. Once again, the interpretation was lacking for me. But. I found it a little bit better just listening and not watching the video. You looked bored. So I felt bored. :) I started to wonder if you were just singing while washing the dishes. I saw no expression at all and I think it was bleeding over into your song interpretation. The interpretive lines of the song.

At first I was confused because I barely even saw your mouth moving or opening. I didn't know how you were going to fill out those notes without opening your mouth!:D

Falsetto!! Ohhh nooo. :D There was just a whole discussion on this in another thread. If you didn't mention it I wouldn't have listened for it. And even listening I didn't hear anything that would have caused my eyebrows to raise. Stylistic choices. Sounded good. ;)

Overall singing wise was pretty good though.

Yeah- I think I should have just done an MP3. Ha!! No worries about the tempo. It's VERY slow. Eva Cassidy did it this way and I'm no EvaRethrA!! :)

SO.... the mouth thing. What's the deal? Because I see people with wide mouths who are great singers. Are there any of us small mouths out there in the pro world?? I'm actually serious. I don't want surgery, but Man. Is there something to that? Yeah- My megaphone and range is huge. Hahahah!! but in a "tiny little package" as per Robin Williams. :D

Cool about not noticing the falsy. The attack was lacking in preparation mentally. My next step is vibrato crescendo and decrescendos to get that dynamic control better. I'd really like to work more of the mezzo and dynamic movement. I have a voice crush on Eva's voice due to this major gift of hers to work those textures and volumes.

Thank YOU for you critique!!

- AE

as far as the Falsetto part. It's a slow song so although the attack may have slipped, I wouldn't have (didn't) notice and it could have been an artistic choice. Soft and airy! It fit. I heard Eva's version and thought it was a bit more moody and emotional. THAT! Is kind of what I mean by interpretive lines.

It's not so much a small mouth thing as it is shaping the mouth to aid in projecting and shaping the tones. Widening the mouth on certain notes or vowels and narrowing or pursing on others. Even a sort of smile for certain pop sounds or EE.

I'm pretty well behind on the learning how to put emotion in.... I've been so long at the teaching level of things... as in being taught how to connect, work on tone and now dynamics with vibrato...that I often forget that there's this whole other world of vocal coaching where connecting with the song allows for ways to vocally interpret. I look forward to that. Lord knows I've been trying to stay out of pulling/flipping for long enough!! Ready to move forward. Whew!!

You're doing fine :) Just keep singing. Don't get too caught up in the details. Keep them in mind, but mostly sing a whole lot!. Experiment and mix things up (techniques).

Emotionally: Think about the song. Listen to a few different versions and interpretations. Find your own understanding of the song and maybe connect with it emotionally by something you can identify with. A past experience.

Then there is also the beat. Happy? Sad? Blue? mellow? Crying? Then the flow of the melody, the drum and/or bass beat. Yea, it's more than just learning the words and repeating them to a melody. But it isn't rocket science either. ;)

Your'e doing good.

And by the way. Don't go by me anyway. I'm just one listener. It's early yet. Once people start coming on line in the evening you'll probably get more replies and varying advice. Some of which might say I'm nuts!!! :D

What's wrong with singing while washing dishes? ;)

There have been times where I could not record a song right to save my life. So, I stop and do the dishes and run through the song and nail it, spot-on, then curse because I couldn't do that before.

Lovely voice. Don't worry about the width of your mouth. We can't all have alligator lips like Steven Tyler. Though I used to have hair longer than his.

In the singing, I could hear the emotion. Even if you could not do an enactment worthy of Broadway in the corner of whatever room you were in. And most guys here are sitting at their desk with a mic on a boom and cans on their ears. So, I wouldn't worry about how you were emoting. In fact, really, you had the right demeanor for a torch song, like this. Like a modern Sarah Vaughan, who also didn't have a lot of "stage craft." And didn't need it because she knocked everyone back with that voice.

In fact, I think you have the right voice to cover stuff by her, Billie Holiday, even modern stuff such as the big hits from Barbara. You know which Barbara I am talking about, I bet.

Keep making videos. This one is okay, considering the grainy texture. Nevertheless, get in touch with our admin, Adolph and he can help you get this and future videos of yours featured on the media site. If you are not already on the media site, it is not difficult to get there. It's like facebook for singers. It just takes an email addy and a password, of your choosing, just like you did for this forum.

And you could set up the lay-out of your page how you want to.

There's times I thought of making a video, even with my phone. However, my dog, in my avatar, is prettier than I am. But I am having the hardest time training him to lip-synch to my stuff. And I actually know how to train a dog. :lol:

Anyway, well done and glad to have you here.

Adolph, you can find his name below or on the index page. click on something there and tell him you want to get in the media site.

What's wrong with singing while washing dishes? ;)

There have been times where I could not record a song right to save my life. So, I stop and do the dishes and run through the song and nail it, spot-on, then curse because I couldn't do that before.

Lovely voice. Don't worry about the width of your mouth. We can't all have alligator lips like Steven Tyler. Though I used to have hair longer than his.

In the singing, I could hear the emotion. Even if you could not do an enactment worthy of Broadway in the corner of whatever room you were in. And most guys here are sitting at their desk with a mic on a boom and cans on their ears. So, I wouldn't worry about how you were emoting. In fact, really, you had the right demeanor for a torch song, like this. Like a modern Sarah Vaughan, who also didn't have a lot of "stage craft." And didn't need it because she knocked everyone back with that voice.

In fact, I think you have the right voice to cover stuff by her, Billie Holiday, even modern stuff such as the big hits from Barbara. You know which Barbara I am talking about, I bet.

Keep making videos. This one is okay, considering the grainy texture. Nevertheless, get in touch with our admin, Adolph and he can help you get this and future videos of yours featured on the media site. If you are not already on the media site, it is not difficult to get there. It's like facebook for singers. It just takes an email addy and a password, of your choosing, just like you did for this forum.

And you could set up the lay-out of your page how you want to.

There's times I thought of making a video, even with my phone. However, my dog, in my avatar, is prettier than I am. But I am having the hardest time training him to lip-synch to my stuff. And I actually know how to train a dog. :lol:

Anyway, well done and glad to have you here.

Adolph, you can find his name below or on the index page. click on something there and tell him you want to get in the media site.

Hey Hey, ronws!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH, Man! This is really encouraging for me!!

You seem like tons of fun!! It's a pleasure to meet you!

Sincerely- AE

YAYYY!!! :D:D:D

• Administrator

Made contact with Adolf! Thank you!:cool:

Hello Amy,

Welcome to The Modern Vocalist World Forum :cool:

I didn't receive anything from you..... ??? You can contact me here, or write me at my email address (below) if you need any assistance or have any questions. I'm here to assist you, and ALL of our members !!!

Warmest Regards,

Adolph

Adolph C. Namlik
Administrator ~ The Modern Vocalist World
Western N.Y.

Email : chief188@hughes.net
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

Hello again Amy :)

I hope my above postings weren't taken in the wrong light. As I've stated your singing is good. But what happens after you post something and I or anyone else approves of it? Do you think to yourself, ok I'm done. No more work to be done? I don't know you so I have no clue what your work ethic is so I paint with a broad stroke. If you were a professional singer then you'd post a song and say look at what I do, here is my latest song. For more look here or for instruction click here. But this is a forum and a critique section so I assume we are friends and working together and that you are looking for help or tips or ideas ar another ear. Sort of like: "great job Clint!" hey check this out, have you ever tried doing this when you hit those low notes?" That's all. Fellow singers/students working to improve.

I don't disagree with anything ronws said. Well, maybe the Steven Tyler lips thing or shape of your mouth. :D That isn't what I was alluding to. Not the shape but more what you do with it. But I digress :)

But I approach what I listen to here a different way I suppose, that others here might. It seems you have some training so I am guessing you have a teacher. Have you ever worked on something and couldn't wait to sing it for your teacher expecting him/her to say wow, that was really good, only to have them say "that was good but..." then have you work on a few things? That's because we are either students or teachers and if you're not the latter then everytime you get to what you think is the top you find another step. But that's good. That's what learning is. If we think we know it all we stop learning. The idea is to keep going.

So while I can agree with ronws, I didn't post similar thoughts here. I didn't because this isn't a Hey look at me section it is a review and critique and I believe that even though something is good, a bunch of unbiased ears are a good thing. They are the ones to point out, not flaws necessarily, but points that can be improved upon. (maybe). Otherwise there is the danger of complacency. So I point things out not as mistakes, but things I hear or see or notice only to encourage a continuous improvement. or to see if you take another look and either agree or don't. It's just an idea or a discussion. Not an instruction.

Something all of us, as students, need. Do you want to become the best and then just stop learning? IMO that is a quick way to UNbest yourself. ;)

Anyone can give an opinion and it is neither good or bad. I never much liked Bruce Springsteen's voice. But he's the professional.

Professional singers are out there recording albums and playing concerts, rather than hanging around in forums.

Case-in-point, James Lugo, who has recorded with Nazareth, doesn't hang around much.

One of our fellow members happens to be aquainted with James LaBrie but James is too busy to spend much time discussing singing in a forum.

Not that there is anything wrong with discussing singing in a forum.

Something I have learned is to not take offense at a critique. Though I have given critiques and suffered the consequences because I hurt someone's feelings and they would dog me for a year. Because people are human. So, now, I am accused of being too soft.

To quote Ricky Nelson, "You can't please everyone so you've got to please yourself" - from his hit song, "Garden Party."

(That's an old one. Adolph, Bob, and MDEW are likely the only ones to remember that. We are the "old" guys here.) :)

• Administrator

Anyone can give an opinion and it is neither good or bad. I never much liked Bruce Springsteen's voice. But he's the professional.

Professional singers are out there recording albums and playing concerts, rather than hanging around in forums.

Case-in-point, James Lugo, who has recorded with Nazareth, doesn't hang around much.

One of our fellow members happens to be aquainted with James LaBrie but James is too busy to spend much time discussing singing in a forum.

Something I have learned is to not take offense at a critique. Though I have given critiques and suffered the consequences because I hurt someone's feelings and they would dog me for a year. Because people are human. So, now, I am accused of being too soft.

To quote Ricky Nelson, "You can't please everyone so you've got to please yourself" - from his hit song, "Garden Party."

(That's an old one. Adolph, Bob, and MDEW are likely the only ones to remember that. We are the "old" guys here.) :)

I'll probably take a "beating" for this, but you're not the only one who doesn't like Springsteen or his vocals.

Everything sounds the same and the writing ??? Well...........

As for LaBrie - Really like "Wither". Just MY personal opinion.

And now for the "old guys" >>> I'm 59 going on 39. Or is it 59 going on 29 ? Or is it 59 going on 79 ? I guess you proved your point, ronws. Losing my memory :rolleyes:

Hey, a little humor doesn't hurt from time to time ! :lol:

Adolph C. Namlik
Western N.Y.

716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

• Administrator

I'll probably take a "beating" for this, but you're not the only one who doesn't like Springsteen or his vocals.

Everything sounds the same ! And the songwriting ??? Well...........

And now for the "old guys" >>> I'm 59 going on 39. Or is it 59 going on 29 ? Or is it 59 going on 79 ? I guess you proved your point, ronws. Losing my memory :rolleyes:

Adolph C. Namlik
Western N.Y.

716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

"Well I went to a garden Party......" Sorry daydreaming of the good ole days, or did I nod off again?

Bad thing about video.... It may capture a mood you did not intend.

The voice sounded good and that little flip into falsetto even if not intended adds to the melancholy atmosphere of the song. One of those happy little accidents.

Welcome aboard.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

I love, love, LOVE Eva Cassidy! One of my favorites.

Nice work!

I'll have to agree with Clint's original response. Then again, I'm well familiar with Eva's cover, so I'll give you credit. Hers is a tough act to cover.

As far as opening your mouth, it's not so much about what happens in the front (how wide or tall your mouth can go) as it is what happens on the inside. Opening the mouth IS important, and it will automatically create a bigger and more open sound. But the most important thing is opening the space on the inside. Your voice holds a little tension, so learning how to open the space in the back will free up your sound - critical when singing Eva's cover :)

To do that, anticipate a yawn. You don't want to go into a full out yawn. Just anticipate it. This will lift the soft palate in the back. Other things to think about to achieve the same effect:

- a parachute in the back of the mouth

- after you've sucked on a cough drop, you take in a cool minty breath to feel the coolness in the upper back part of the mouth

- a small gasp of a pleasant and happy surprise

Try singing through the sensation of that open space.

If you want to try to open your mouth more when you sing, put one finger directly in front of your ears (in front of the little knobby thing) on each side of your head, right where the upper jaw meets the lower jaw. Open your mouth until you feel it cave in. But again, I didn't really see any problem with how much you open your mouth.

Keep up the good work!

The Aspiring Singer
Resources and inspiration for aspiring singers - from beginners to professionals
www.theaspiringsinger.com
Twitter: @theaspiringsing

Everything sounds the same ! And the songwriting ??? Well...........

I am 50 and all I have left is laughter. Sorry, Amy, us old guys taking some space in your thread. But, at our age, at least we know some good music and appreciate a good performance. Even if others provide some tech tips, and that is good, too, and you can use those, or not. See if it fits, if it doesn't fit.

Well, For one:

I'm extremely grateful and complimented by all these comments. I don't usually get offended easily. So, please... keep em' comin'. No worries at all on any criticism, at ALL!

I LOVE iT!! :D

No seriously.

I respect your comments Clint, ronws, MDEW, the Aspiring Singer, and everyone else! How COOL to have "met" you all!! I look forward to more of it! :)

In that vein: while there are days that I really enjoy and appreciate that added praise. There are certainly those times I feel frustrated when I post in forums and get only positive answers or little actual critique of areas to improve. But what am I saying??? No, it's true. A true professional is, imo, someone who WORKS at the job.....everyday and isn't stopping so that they can get their ego stroked. I like the feel-good...but I don't stop at it because of criticism. To me, those are people who don't have the character to be equipped for the pro business, precisely because it HAS to include some bad and painful situations/awful reviews from time to time/much rejection. If you stop at that....it's not a business that will survive.

My motos for music:

1)If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

2)Hope for the best, expect the worst.

3)Do it all for the Glory and Enjoyment of something far greater and more important than myself.

I don't do these everyday. I slip and fall. But these are still my motos for now. :) :cool:

So to that end:

1)The mouth thing is something that I somehow do different than others. I don't understand it actually and for what reasns. Part is training from a few ppl that are not in agreement with vowel modification if the megaphone is in place properly. Some is just that I need that small opening to connect sometimes. While I love the big "LAHs" for connection too, I don't yet have a place to use it other than in practicing. It's not part of my open mouth feel. I remember that some ppl will recognize it and thinks it's odd; but I don't really care. It's the german mouth that I got, from the Good Lord above. I will use it as well as I can.. cause it's mine and I like what I got. :) I address the big mouth singers because for some reason, there are ppl out there that think it's necessary. I don't but I am willing to hear others opinions. It's part of life and it's great to have other own opinions, cause God knows that I certainly have my own. :D;) For me, when I modify vowels too much, it can sometimes cause my connection to fail altogether. I assume it's because of my deep desire to keep both upper and lower resonances singing along and I'm focusing on that mostly......with whatever oriface that it takes, but it just works this way for me. Also that concentration is because, I personally hate to flip and pull too much; but boy it's nice to hear MDEW and others here.... that when I did, that it may have sounded pretty well afterall.

2) I do know that getting more training will mean more styles of getting to the same end results, with other techniques....and maybe that will be prettier; but for now, this mouthpiece will have to do it's thing. :lol:

3) I have to apologize that my microphone was just not turned down on the input better so you can hear those upper belts and moderate to loud mixes with more clarity. I will post soon.

Adolf- I tried to do as ronws here suggest and get added to the media site for a feature??? I have no clue what that means; but ok! :)

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE!!

Now- please criticize or encourage more! :) I welcome new friends too!!!

:D:cool::)

Vr and Sincerely- Amy Elizabeth

I am 50 and all I have left is laughter. Sorry, Amy, us old guys taking some space in your thread. But, at our age, at least we know some good music and appreciate a good performance. Even if others provide some tech tips, and that is good, too, and you can use those, or not. See if it fits, if it doesn't fit.

I LOVE IT!! :D :D :D And 50 is the new 29!! After watching the most recent Austin City Limits, I'm convinced that the older baby boomers are going strong and that their newer counterparts are benefitting from it by the option to work into much later years than in many generations before. I truely will listen to Willie Nelson as much today as I have in my past and I find it fascinating that the male voice, under proper care, can just last so well. He doesn't actually look much older either, though we all know he is. Heck, Christy Brinkley or Jennifer Annistan haven't moved even one year older in the last 20 years...... ha!

So, somehow, I guess there are ways to be immortalized so that the career just keeps going and maybe even gets better. Again, ACL was AMAZING!! I loved it! :cool:

~AE