Beginner singer looking for feedback! Criticism welcome!

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi!

I'm new to singing (I pretty much got into it six months ago when I started learning the guitar) and would love constructive criticism on how to improve my voice and technique from more experienced singers. Feel free to be mean if necessary, I'm aware that my singing is far from prefect and I have no real technical training.

I'm not looking to become a professional; I just love to sing for fun alone and with my friends and want to improve my voice.

Here's my soundcloud and a few quick recordings that may give you a idea of my singing:

Thanks if you take the time to respond! :)

Hi! blueberrydreams I think you have a nice warm voice, but you have to work it. Are you taking classes? I notice that sometimes you are out of tune, but I think you can overcome this just with a little of technique. I recommend that, as you are just beginning to sing, try singing super easy songs and concentrate just on staying in the tune. Have you listened to Julie London? Your tone reminds me of her...I leave a link for you to listen

Please, review and critique my latest post: Donny Hathaway - A song for you

souncloud: https://soundcloud.com/matias-azar-

Hi! blueberrydreams I think you have a nice warm voice, but you have to work it. Are you taking classes? I notice that sometimes you are out of tune, but I think you can overcome this just with a little of technique. I recommend that, as you are just beginning to sing, try singing super easy songs and concentrate just on staying in the tune. Have you listened to Julie London? Your tone reminds me of her...I leave a link for you to listen

Thank you so much for responding :) I'm not taking classes and never have since I can't really afford that right now :/ could you give an example of where I am going off tune so I can work on it more? I really appreciate you're criticism, I know I have a lot to improve on. I haven't listened to Julie London but after listening to her songs now that is a huge compliment and I hope that I can one day sing even a fraction of her level!

Vowels. Stay to the clean vowel sounds of ah, eh, ee, oh, oo. Sing the vowels, don't say the words. This will straighten most of the wobbles you have, which are coming from what is called a dipthong, which is a changing vowel sound in the same syllable.

Sing the vowels, don't say the words.

That is amazing. Thanks, along with a rep point. That just made everything easier for me in about 2 seconds.

"'Means are many' said the hag as she wiped the table with a cat."

Thanks, man. I know that one bit has helped me a lot and continues to help me. When I stumble, it is usually because of the vowel. And, yeah, about 2 seconds to recognize my fault and correct.