Me and Bobby McGee Cover

• TMV World Legacy Member

It is real important to have a guitar that is in tune and stays in tune. Part of singing is matching pitch. You cannot match pitch to an instrument that is not tuned correctly.

The first and best advice I can give is, If you are singing along to your own guitar playing, is get yourself a Guitar tuner. Also learn how to tune your guitar without a tuner. This will help you understand what matching pitch is.

Once you learn how to tell when your guitar is out of tune you will also be able to tell when you are singing out of tune.

Good Luck.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

It is real important to have a guitar that is in tune and stays in tune. Part of singing is matching pitch. You cannot match pitch to an instrument that is not tuned correctly.

The first and best advice I can give is, If you are singing along to your own guitar playing, is get yourself a Guitar tuner. Also learn how to tune your guitar without a tuner. This will help you understand what matching pitch is.

Once you learn how to tell when your guitar is out of tune you will also be able to tell when you are singing out of tune.

Good Luck.

You right i hadn't tune the guitar for days.

Can you tell by listening to your guitar when it is out of tune? If you listen carefully you can hear a little wobble to the sound when it is out of tune.  Once you get the guitar tuned correctly......Strike the Biggest string with your finger on the fifth fret, right after that strike the second biggest string OPEN(without fingers on any frets).  They should sound the same.

Strike them both at the same time and slowly turn the tuning peg on one of them and listen to sound. There will be a wobble to the sound. Turn the tuning peg back while still listening to it and you will hear the wobble slow down until the wobbling sound stops.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Once you get the guitar tuned, you might consider experimenting with different capo positions. Your voice is a little light and fluffy on this. See if there is a different key that feels comfortable and which enables you sing with more resonance. 

You're going to need tuning before people can give you a very good critique. It does give me vibes of atonal music, which is an outskirt of artistic music. Art music is music that is made for purely artistic reasons, with no intent of commercial appeal.

Know that there is nothing wrong with exploring such sounds, but in a commercial context it's unlikely you'll find much of an audience who will accept your music. The further away you go from the major scale, the less commercial it gets, but the twelve tone scale is pretty much standard in all of western music.

When people deviate from the familiar 12 tones, it creates a very unique vibe:

In my view there is no 'wrong' kind of art, so you did nothing incorrectly. There are just more palette able and less palette able sounds to the average human ear. People here can help steer you in those directions, but if you take an interest in atonality, microtonality, or chromaticism, follow your heart. 12 tuned notes, often constructed in a Major Scale will sell records, however. ;)

Works for me. Sometimes I take a ride down that road. It isn't that often for me, cause I'm a sucker for a catchy melody, but I can hear the appeal. It's like a foreign, twisted world where you're searching for beauty, and beauty can and is found, but it's surrounded by menace and the beauty feels so fragile in that soundscape.

I like horror movies and atonality is frequently used to make 'tense' sections and put people on edge. I've often wondered if pop songs that included something with that kind of 'tense' section during crucially tense moments in the song, could make it if the record execs didn't veto it. Most people don't want to be tense for an hour, or even 2 minutes, but 10 seconds before beautiful release? I might actually turn on pop radio if people were doing this.