Say something - A big world

• TMV World Legacy Member

It's really good man. It feels really human to me, I love the little vibrato, and subtle movements. It sounds really organic, but not falling off key even with all of the subtle inflections. You're a great singer and you conduct ballads real well, without sounding smarmy.

The only thing I've got, is did you cut out the breath sounds through comping, editing, mixing, or is it quiet under the track? The sound of this track is 'close' and intimate, I just personally felt like hearing the sound of your breathing would have brought you closer.

Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing. Maybe people with more technical minds would have better ideas in how to 'improve' it, but I'm thinking mostly just leave that sucker alone.  B) 

Thank you guys.

Jonas, is good to hear that it sounds relaxed, when I started to sing my biggest problem was that I used to squeeze and pull a lot... high notes seemed to be forbidden for me until I started to relax the muscles of my throat

Killer, thank you man. I don´t want to sound like those old people that claim that all the things were better in the past, BUT I can´t avoid feeling that before singers used to sing with more heart and truly passion. That´s why just few new songs call my attention... regarding to the "little vibrato", I have to tell you that I don't do it on pourpose, it started like a resource to come back from a high note more gently without loosing the tune... respecting the mix thing you pointed, I agree with you! fortunately I had not closed the garageband and could restore my breath to the track, if you listen again you will notice the changes.

Please, review and critique my latest post: Donny Hathaway - A song for you

souncloud: https://soundcloud.com/matias-azar-

That's my favorite kind of vibrato. The kind emerging from the subconscious when the singer is emersed in a song. Love hearing some of the breath restored. 

I've been a crotchedy old man since I was 15 and rarely had affinity for my generation's music (I had to deal with Limp Bizkit and Britney Spears during high school years), so you're in good company in preferring the old school. I'm more interested in the younger artists here than the ones on the radio.

Thanks for delivering on the passion and doing a ballad on the level. You're not just a good singer, but your voice resonates with me. Some of it is stuff you can control, and soem of it is stuff you can't. When they come together it's great.

I agree with Killer.

I want to hear more power and like "say something im giving up on youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu" and not just "-''- you." i think your singing is to "short" for this song. 

But it's a taste question. 

Otherwise you made a really good job!!

Thank you very much, guys!

i think your singing is to "short" for this song. 

Do you mean the "you" part or it has something to do with my range in the whole song? thank you for sharing your opinion!

Please, review and critique my latest post: Donny Hathaway - A song for you

souncloud: https://soundcloud.com/matias-azar-

I think a longer you might sell more records, but I personally felt those clipped yous had artistic value. To me it symbolized nearly giving up on whoever 'you' was, almost mid sentence. Strangely enough, after checking this (original) version: it was done similar.

So maybe Christina Aguilera and I do have something in common aside from loving Nina Simone and Amy Winehouse after all. I would have expected her to drag that note into infinity, hahaha.

I liked it. Don't have anything to be picky about.

Your pic on soundcloud reminds me of a young Jon Bon Jovi.

In fact, I bet you could do a good cover of "Midnight in Chelsea."

Here, is a bit older but his voice is cleaner and you kind of sound similar.

It's funny how you can often tell an sls singer from a non sls one ;)

Yes I did take some lessons.

And is it easy to tell I learned my singing from swinging a cat around by the tail and trying to match that sound?

m/

• 2 weeks later...