Chandelier - Sia Cover - Do the high notes sound strained?

• TMV World Legacy Member

This is just a rough cover. Just wanting some constructive feedback about the higher notes... do they sound strained? Is there anything it sounds like I should be doing that I'm not? Any feedback is welcome. Thanks in advance! 

Wow at first I thought it was Sia singing. Sounds great :) The only thing I hear that sounds like you are having trouble with is "I'm" and "fly". I'm not experienced enough to help you there but I'm sure some here can. Regardless beautiful voice!

You have a gorgeous voice dear! really really pretty. It didn't sound strained to me..did it feel strained? You have a really pretty, strong mix voice, and a lovely vibrato in your head voice. A couple things I noticed is that you were kinda off in the timing at the beginning....just when you said  "im the one for a good time call" but it straightened itself out quickly and worked. Another thing I noticed was this odd little squeak  you did at the beginning of some of your big notes... kinda like a flipping up into your mix register. I'm sure there is a name for it...But i don't know what it's called. I'm not sure if it's a stylistic, purposeful thing? Or something that should be worked on. It didn't sound bad necessarily. Just a little curious about it. :) anyways. overall. you are a fantastic singer!

Normally not my kind of songs but you got a lot of emotion in there. That was pretty good!

Good job with the wovel choice on the higher parts. You can still gain more freedom on these notes though.

What mic did you use, just curious? Your voice was really colourful, even on the quiet parts

Thanks for the feedback everyone! 

h4azel3yes - the squeak was intentional, maybe trying to sound more like the original but now I listen back it does sound kind of odd. Might need to tone it back a bit. Thanks for your kind words! :)

Quentin - I used a blue yeti pro! Thanks :)

It sounds good to me. You'd have to really listen to your body cause I can't tell. It's even harder for me to tell in female voices as it's further away from any benchmark I have first hand experience with.

The only things I can hear is maybe a tiny bit of potential vocal fry and a few onsets here and there, so it might be slightly less airy than some tones. But it doesn't sound 'pressed' to me. You could try experimenting with adding a tiny, tiny bit more of an invisible H sound (tiny cushion of air), but it's probably more stylistic than anything.

If it feels good, it sounds good. You probably know better than most of us. Voice isn't an exact science to a listener, so the best judge is often you.

I Loved it! I really like your voice... regarding to the high notes, they sound very expressive and nothing strained to me, it reminds me to Sharyl Crow version of "wilde horses"; just be sure to not hurt yourself 

Enjoy and listen to the end 

Please, review and critique my latest post: Donny Hathaway - A song for you

souncloud: https://soundcloud.com/matias-azar-

Sounds really great! The short answer is it doesn't sound strained it sounds beautiful.

The long answer would be, how does it feel to you? There were moments where I could sense that maybe a note or here and there took more effort than needed, but the result still sounded great. Unless you are going to be touring night after night, there's nothing to fear of a little extra effort in the performance here and there, so long as the overall result sounds good, we know that, AND it feels good - that's a question you can only answer yourself.

The funny part is Sia probably strains on this more than you LOL.

Actually it's OBVIOUS she does and that her voice is damaged too.

The fact that you can sing this in the original key, SOUND great, and actually have to ASK if you're feeling strain is already a blessing!!!