Highway to Hell - 2015

• TMV World Legacy Member
My theme song, one of my favorites. 

"Highway to Hell" by AC/DC (2015)

Guitar and guitar solo, ronws, Hondo Flying V through Roland GS-6 rack-mount digital effects unit.

drums - rock drum patch on Casio LK-165

Bass - fingered bass tone on Casio LK-165, but played live in the track by ronws.

Of course, my voice, on the Fame CM-1 Studio Condenser mic given to me by fellow member Thanos, (akward?). Sorry, I just can only remember the spelling of his real name. Instead of using the pop filter, I literally put a sock on it (clean, of course.)

Everything jacked into the m-audio m-track interface and recorded in Audacity. About as "low-tech" and redneck as one can get.

And lastly, mix by me, as if you couldn't tell.  :ph34r:

I listened to it like 6 times and am tempted to repeat it. It rocks and puts a huge smile on my face. That's a good time track right there. I haven't had this much fun with a track here in some time.

You're gaining increased mastery too. It's clearly more controlled than back in the day and you've gotten some tech issues sorted. I showed it to a friend, and she was like "Wow! I never expected it to sound like that' but by the end she was convinced it was cool.

If people can't appreciate this, do they just not like fun? No one on the planet sounds like you man. Keep singing til you breath your last note. Rock on.

And what the heck..... Repeat. Lost count.

The second listen i put the speakers and my wife yelled: "where does this music come from, hell?" (but in spanish, of course); she doesn't like rock at all but sometimes show some good instinct... 

Now, seriously, this is good stuff and your voice sounds freaking young... I wonder if a teen is hidding on your profile pic  :D

Please, review and critique my latest post: Donny Hathaway - A song for you

souncloud: https://soundcloud.com/matias-azar-

Pretty Cool Ronws, Did you sing the vocals after you had the rest in place?

I usually sing a scatch vocal track while setting down the rhythm guitar to get the timing right.

After the rest is in place I resing the vocal track with all the rockin' guitars and stuff. It makes a difference when you get to let loose.

Keep them coming.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Yes, Bono, the music comes from hell, my hell. I am a young person in an old man's body. Just got some AARP stuff in the mail, yesterday. 

Thanks guys. It was a lot of fun. So, to answer your question, MDEW:

I did the drums first. Found a patch that fits this kind of song and then slowed the tempo down to where I usually play it and am used to hearing it. Then I recorded about 4.5 minutes of it, which is more than enough and it served as both drums for the song and sort of a click track to line up everything else.

I did the main guitar or Malcom part next. Then the solo or Angus part. Then the bass. Finally, the vocal track. The only thing on the vocal track is some volume boost and reverb.

Yes, Bono, the music comes from hell, my hell. I am a young person in an old man's body. Just got some AARP stuff in the mail, yesterday. 

Thanks guys. It was a lot of fun. So, to answer your question, MDEW:

I did the drums first. Found a patch that fits this kind of song and then slowed the tempo down to where I usually play it and am used to hearing it. Then I recorded about 4.5 minutes of it, which is more than enough and it served as both drums for the song and sort of a click track to line up everything else.

I did the main guitar or Malcom part next. Then the solo or Angus part. Then the bass. Finally, the vocal track. The only thing on the vocal track is some volume boost and reverb.

About the Young man in an Old mans body.... I feel your pain. Just had a birthday and now I have been on this earth more than half a century.  One of my vocal challenges is trying to make my voice not sound like a teenager when singing. People talk about rockers blowing out their voice before 30. I am still working on getting my voice strong enough to sing Aerosmith and Foreigner. Maybe by the time I am 60 I will have my voice sounding like Steven Tyler when he was 18.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."