General Vocal Feedback Request

• TMV World Legacy Member

Good Day TMV Community.

I am completely new to the forums and I am hoping to share, hear and hopefully contribute to the community.

Would love to get some constructive criticism on my vocals.

Sample here:

Thank you for your valuable time.

I'm really glad to see you gathering an audience on there without auto tune and a rawer sound.

The slightly breathy raspy timbre isn't singing 101, but is very appealing to audiences. I prefer slightly more complex compositions given taste, but this song is really connecting with audiences already and it's better than what I hear on the radio.

If your throat is comfortable (and breathy raspy sounds can be tricky to dial in), I'd keep doing exactly what you're doing. Maybe market a bit more, good job coming here. We aren't a prime audience, but are still an audience. Get the word out so people can like you. So yeah, research marketing, and use every possible avenue to be heard.

If this is your thing, you should just do what works. You have a bigger audience on Soundcloud than anyone else I've seen here. It's commercial but also kind of dirty rock.

Maybe other people have vocal suggestions. But I really don't. Audiences would rather listen to your voice than most people here.

I'm really glad to see you gathering an audience on there without auto tune and a rawer sound.

The slightly breathy raspy timbre isn't singing 101, but is very appealing to audiences. I prefer slightly more complex compositions given taste, but this song is really connecting with audiences already and it's better than what I hear on the radio.

If your throat is comfortable (and breathy raspy sounds can be tricky to dial in), I'd keep doing exactly what you're doing. Maybe market a bit more, good job coming here. We aren't a prime audience, but are still an audience. Get the word out so people can like you. So yeah, research marketing, and use every possible avenue to be heard.

If this is your thing, you should just do what works. You have a bigger audience on Soundcloud than anyone else I've seen here. It's commercial but also kind of dirty rock.

Maybe other people have vocal suggestions. But I really don't. Audiences would rather listen to your voice than most people here.

Wow, thank you for such an honest response, I will research some marketing techniques like you suggested and try to get the word out :), thank you  KillerKu

Great voice!!! 

Thank you bono1982

Keep doing what you are doing. Awesome. What are you doing here? You need to pick out a tux to have something to wear to the next Grammies, provided you get this stuff released.

Man, you have great voice.

Perfect for bluesy/rock stuff.

Thank you for your positive feedback thisoldroad. Much appreciated.

Keep doing what you are doing. Awesome. What are you doing here? You need to pick out a tux to have something to wear to the next Grammies, provided you get this stuff released.

hahah, if only, will have to sell some songs to afford the tux  :lol: , but the songs are released and they not selling that much yet  :unsure: ... marketing marketing marketing

Marketing ... see if you can get a link placed at Harley Davidson's website. That kind of raspy blues sells well. A number of "motorcycle enthusiasts" I have known like the bluesy sound.

Basically, take a lesson from Avenged Sevenfold. Their singer, M Shadows, is a big-time gamer. So, he got to writing an i-phone game app that is being developed into a full blown game platform with their music included in the game. Which can also lead to more cd sales. The game he designed is called "Hail to the King Deathbat." Look on youtube for M Shadows Renman 98 to see the interview that talks about this.

There are not a lot of brick-and-mortar music stores left and it takes about 60,000 units sold to rate having some space at Walmart.

Which doesn't mean you can't sell well. You just have to be imaginative. Lordes made a video to share on youtube with the song "Royals." Next thing you know, they are peforming on music awards shows.

You can also sell your music to others. Copyright your originals, get listed with ASCAP, send your song demos (and the link you shared here is a good enough quality for a song demo) to music directors at tv networks. If you can get a recording artist to hear it, they might record it while you sit back and collect royalty checks. Maybe enough to rent a tuxedo.

• 4 weeks later...

Marketing ... see if you can get a link placed at Harley Davidson's website. That kind of raspy blues sells well. A number of "motorcycle enthusiasts" I have known like the bluesy sound.

Basically, take a lesson from Avenged Sevenfold. Their singer, M Shadows, is a big-time gamer. So, he got to writing an i-phone game app that is being developed into a full blown game platform with their music included in the game. Which can also lead to more cd sales. The game he designed is called "Hail to the King Deathbat." Look on youtube for M Shadows Renman 98 to see the interview that talks about this.

There are not a lot of brick-and-mortar music stores left and it takes about 60,000 units sold to rate having some space at Walmart.

Which doesn't mean you can't sell well. You just have to be imaginative. Lordes made a video to share on youtube with the song "Royals." Next thing you know, they are peforming on music awards shows.

You can also sell your music to others. Copyright your originals, get listed with ASCAP, send your song demos (and the link you shared here is a good enough quality for a song demo) to music directors at tv networks. If you can get a recording artist to hear it, they might record it while you sit back and collect royalty checks. Maybe enough to rent a tuxedo.

Thank you for the Sound Advise ronws

Not a bad idea about the Harley Davidson page :) I honestly just think my music needs better production, and production doesn't come cheap. Currently I am constantly working on new material to just try and make one better song after another, and hopefully, with all the marketing that I do try to put into it, it gets heard by the right people.

Our local music licensing representative is SAMRO, but not sure whether I make any difference to qualify for registration. It's not like my music is constantly being played on radio or parties to generate any real royalties.

But anyways, thank you for all the advise so far. Honestly appreciate it very much.

Thank you for the Sound Advise ronws

Not a bad idea about the Harley Davidson page :) I honestly just think my music needs better production, and production doesn't come cheap. Currently I am constantly working on new material to just try and make one better song after another, and hopefully, with all the marketing that I do try to put into it, it gets heard by the right people.

Our local music licensing representative is SAMRO, but not sure whether I make any difference to qualify for registration. It's not like my music is constantly being played on radio or parties to generate any real royalties.

But anyways, thank you for all the advise so far. Honestly appreciate it very much.

Well, the big secret to collecting royalties is getting the music played in public formats, as public formats, such as radio stations (the companies that own them) pay blanket fees to the copyright orgs to play what is in the catalog of that org. Record companies do this, also, so that an artist that wants to cover "All of Me" for example, can do so while legal beagles take care of the paperwork.

As for professional production, yes, if you want radio play, your biggest concern for pro sound is compressor and limiter applications. Basically, you are trying to fit 15 to 30 dB dynamic spectrum in a song into a format (such as radio stations, which also have hard limiters if your music has not been treated) that allows about 5 dB range, at the max. Sometimes less. For example, I think Spotify has a narrow dB range, as a large number of people are hearing it on iphones and you need both speed and a sound that fits in a speaker smaller than my wedding band.