Enander - Rush

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi!

I'm in the process of producing my new song, and I just want to check if my vocals are (kind of) in order. I will never be a top-tier vocalist, but if there's something that's very off-putting let me know! :)
It's so easy to get "stuck in one's way" and miss some dodgy stuff in the performance, so a little help would be nice.

Don't mind the crappy sound production/sound mix. That's not the matter at hand, and I will try to fix that later haha.

(This is an old post. The finished song can be found in an later post)

First off, you're already a top-tier vocalist so... :P

Secondly, it's sounds really good! The song had a nice 80s feel to it, I liked it. Regards to your singing, I think when you went for the higher distortion it kind of went outside of the genre for the rest of the song. I REALLY like that distortion, but it sounds a bit more Dio than.... Aha xD In the context of this song it might sound more cohesive with a little less aggressive distortion. Just an idea :)

Cheers man and good luck!

First off, you're already a top-tier vocalist so... :P

Secondly, it's sounds really good! The song had a nice 80s feel to it, I liked it. Regards to your singing, I think when you went for the higher distortion it kind of went outside of the genre for the rest of the song. I REALLY like that distortion, but it sounds a bit more Dio than.... Aha xD In the context of this song it might sound more cohesive with a little less aggressive distortion. Just an idea :)

Cheers man and good luck!

Haha! You're way too kind, but I appreciate it! :)

I've had that idea myself, and I believe it has merit, but ultimately I don't mind breaking the genre rules; I kinda like the sense of frustration/aggression the dist brings. If it sounds good per se I'm a happy camper :)

Thank you!

Great! I like the combination of clear and raspy voice, both high and low. And it's very emotional.

I'm glad you like it, and it's nice that it "feels" emotional!

Thanks!

That sounds just great :) 

I'm glad you liked it! :)

Thanks!

Yeah, it sounds very 80-ish and Glam but i like this genre and i love your voice. Bra låt (good song)!

Yes, I went for that 80s sound; it's nice! Thank you for the compliment, Olem! :)

• 4 weeks later...

So, I'm considering this a done deal now. The sound production is still kinda bad (e.g. it's hard to keep that 80's chorus sound effect on the vocals without it sounding like a pitch corrector), but I keep learning stuff all the time.
The vocals are... well, a bit weird (I'm not referring to the lyrics; they're supposed to be wacky. That's a 80's thing :P). I have discovered that my phrasing is really bad. Not that I'm particulary off beat, but I'm struggling with conveying the right emotion when I sing. I try to use nuances in my singing, but it often feels overdone or just inappropriate.

This is probably a "mind thing", but if anyone's got a nice way of thinking when adopting an emotion, tell me! :) I could use some inspiration.

Sounds really good man!

Regarding the emotion thing, I did not think it sounded robotic or anything like that. This is something I'm not great at myself, but if I have one tip I think it's to kind of "overdo" it but also go the full line. Try to clear your mind of any kind of self consiousness regarding conveying that emotion. When you don't go full out, that's when it sounds half-assed I think. You have to overdo it by a VERY BIG MARGIN for it to become a problem on the other side of the spectrum :)

Keep on writing and producing! :)

Enander, you sound like a full pro. Great voice and a great sound production. If you had posted this in the 80's you'd have a greater success than today, unfortunately this kinda a music is a bit off the market nowadays.

Sounds really good man!

Regarding the emotion thing, I did not think it sounded robotic or anything like that. This is something I'm not great at myself, but if I have one tip I think it's to kind of "overdo" it but also go the full line. Try to clear your mind of any kind of self consiousness regarding conveying that emotion. When you don't go full out, that's when it sounds half-assed I think. You have to overdo it by a VERY BIG MARGIN for it to become a problem on the other side of the spectrum :)

Keep on writing and producing! :)

Hm! Interesting; I can buy that! I will try that! Thanks! :)

Usually I stress an irrelevant word (to the meaning) or something like that because I think it sounds weak/ugly if I don't do it, but it leads to me projecting a dicey emotion. That's another aspect of the problem, but perhaps it will disappear during

the process of exaggerating the emotion I want project.

Enander, you sound like a full pro. Great voice and a great sound production. If you had posted this in the 80's you'd have a greater success than today, unfortunately this kinda a music is a bit off the market nowadays.

Thank you, Olem! :D

Haha! You're totally right, but I'm not looking for commercial success. I just want to to whatever I want whenever I want :)

If I wanted to be famous I would join a band and rock it hard.

ENANDER, this was AWESOME dude! Great vocals, vibe, and production. It really has that 80's feel, but I think it might have appeal these days specially in the club scene. Of course I might be wrong, as I don't do clubbing. Keep Rocking man!

ENANDER, this was AWESOME dude! Great vocals, vibe, and production. It really has that 80's feel, but I think it might have appeal these days specially in the club scene. Of course I might be wrong, as I don't do clubbing. Keep Rocking man!

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it! :D

Well done, Enander. Or, should I say  :ph34r:   :ph34r:  Red. In style, composition, and performance. The only difference I would have made is one more repitition. After "my last rush," I would have repeated "last rush" and have it kind of high. Everything else was so cool and I can't think of any technical things, which is a good sign.

Dude you are awesome. My favourite is your version of the number of the beast.....simply mindblowing

Thank you, aravindmadis! :)

Well done, Enander. Or, should I say  :ph34r:   :ph34r:  Red. In style, composition, and performance. The only difference I would have made is one more repitition. After "my last rush," I would have repeated "last rush" and have it kind of high. Everything else was so cool and I can't think of any technical things, which is a good sign.

Haha! Thanks, ronws! :D Yeah, I really should've done that! High-pitched vocals are a staple in the 80s electro pop. I should incorporate it. Good tip for the future!