All of me - Practice

Rate this topic

I don't mind the nit picking at all. :)  I noticed those wonkey things also. I start off the verse flat and kind of slide into it, If you thought the high parts were flat you should have heard the rest of the 2 or 3 hours worth of recording that I scrapped.  :huh:

I had to change that bridge with "Cards on the Table"  I just could not sing that G#4 covered or straight and had to drop it to the F4.  I was surprised that it worked as well as it did.

Thanks for listening. I do plan on working on this some more.

Raise your hand if you heard the guitar and then just clicked the close button. B)

This is about the singing not the style........If you have comments please post. I am trying to improve not impress. :)

MDEW im a beginner so i cant tell you really how to improve it but i can tell you that i really liked your approach to this song. (also im a guitar player so guitar is inviting for me ;P)

I like this song even more with your apporoach. Im not a fan of this pop-ballad style songs or generally "modern pop music" (with the exception of Ed Sheeran) so this "folksy country" style is preety awesome to hear as the lyrics are really not bad in this song and i really like it.

I like the style of your singing its really easy on the ears and it doesent feel like a chore to listen to it ;)

Actually, I think you were a bit flat at the beginning, from the tension of trying to sing it 4 on the floor, like John. Later, you do countrify it a bit, which helped you relax and the then it was better. I'd say do the whole thing like it was country.

Thanks Ron and Thanks Bzean for the support.

You are correct Ron. I kept flip flopping between My normal country sound to something I thought was more appropriate.

This was my last shot at recording that night and I just went ahead and let my natural speed take over. I have another recording of this a bit slower and a more steady beat but to be honest it just sucks.

I thought about going ahead and downloading Felipes track and singing to that but I will not be singing this live to anyone using a piano or an Mp3 Player. I will be playing my guitar so I want to make it suitable for that.

I posted this to get feedback not as the finished product.

So I caved and downloaded Felipes' backing track.  I still consider this a work in progress and I must admit that I cheated somewhat in that I rerecorded some of the more troublesome parts. This is not a one track straight through recording, but a tool to help me improve.

Any suggestions appreciated. Even if you just do not like my tone let me know. I am working on that.

Thanks Ronws, I'm just wondering if anyone else will even listen to it.

After all I am a Hillbilly who looks like he escaped from the cast of Duck Dynasty. :blink:

I have no buisiness trying an RnB love song.   ;)  I think I did it justice this time. :)

There are stilla few pushed and flat notes here and there, but the overall mood I like better than the original. A song celebrating  'perfect imperfections' glossed to an auto tuned finish seems like the most insincere, calculated, and painful of musical experiences for me. 

Hearing some of the same sentiment from a flawed hillbilly is way more authentic and superior in my mind. You can still perfect this version without losing some of the charm. Technique wise, watch try some scales including R (your), some with all (Ls), and another with head (short E vowel) as all of these vowels seemed like they were struggling.

MDEw

Duck Dynasty 'called,' they miss you and want you back! 

i did not relisten to the original version, but it seems to me you put a little more intensity to some of the passages this time, which I like. However, I prefer the folky instrumentation. Maybe you can try the more intense vocals over the guitar and see how it sounds. Me and my bright ideas...

I agree with that too. Auto tuned backing harmonies + MDEW tastes more like ice cream and broccoli, than Ice Cream and Mountain Dew. :D 

Thanks guys. Overall tone is more of a concern to me than pitch. Pitch will get better with fine tuning and familierity.

Tone comes from the entire package.  Those flat notes on the falsetto will get better.

The question is, was I even singing in falsetto or using it correctly? Was there too much compression on the folds, not enough air coming through and many other things that I don't even know how to ask.

I understand why people say that I sound nasal.....My tone when singing normal ends up being irritating especially when above G4.

In this song you hear a pretty good contrast between what I call "modal" and what I call "Falsetto"

"Cards on the (TA)ble" and "Risking (All)".... Table and All where flat. They go beyond my limit on MODAL. I almost sang those "Falsetto" like John does when singing live, but in trying that I somehow ended up finding a way to get close to the pitch without that switch to falsetto.

Above G4 even when using a connected sound I am still closer to the sound of the Falsetto in "a a all of you" than the sound I had with "Cards on the Table"

Thanks Ronws, I'm just wondering if anyone else will even listen to it.

After all I am a Hillbilly who looks like he escaped from the cast of Duck Dynasty. :blink:

I have no buisiness trying an RnB love song.   ;)  I think I did it justice this time. :)

Same here but I did it anyway. Because I have no shame. :D

MDEw

Duck Dynasty 'called,' they miss you and want you back! 

i did not relisten to the original version, but it seems to me you put a little more intensity to some of the passages this time, which I like. However, I prefer the folky instrumentation. Maybe you can try the more intense vocals over the guitar and see how it sounds. Me and my bright ideas...

Duck Dynasty will have to wait. I plan on joining ZZTop. They don't know it yet. I think I can sneak in without being noticed until it is too late.

I plan on recording this with just the guitar again to see what happens. Maybe I will try a ZZTop Version. B)

I was kidding about a ZZTop version but  I can hear someone like Steven Tyler singing this. All of Me could easily be transformed into a Rock Balad.

I could probably come up with a decent Bass line, Guitar track and distorted lead like Joe Perry or Brian May, But it would still suck without the proper drums and a good singer.

The melody would not need to change that much just a little more rasp and some screaming in place of the falsetto. The tone should be something on the lines of Steve Tyler in "Crying".  It could work. :)

Paul Stanley and Kiss could rock this out.

I was kidding about a ZZTop version but  I can hear someone like Steven Tyler singing this. All of Me could easily be transformed into a Rock Balad.

I could probably come up with a decent Bass line, Guitar track and distorted lead like Joe Perry or Brian May, But it would still suck without the proper drums and a good singer.

The melody would not need to change that much just a little more rasp and some screaming in place of the falsetto. The tone should be something on the lines of Steve Tyler in "Crying".  It could work. :)

Paul Stanley and Kiss could rock this out.

I'm potentially nearing a fix for some of my tech problem in recordings. If you get some kind of version to a click track (steady beat per minute) I'd put down some drums. I'm going to be doing some pretty hardcore training on piano and drums if this recording system works out so I'm gonna need some practice.

So do it as a rock ballad!

Better yet, do a Layne Staley version....

Did you read the part about it still sucking without a GOOD singer. :unsure:   If I could sing like Steve or Layne I wouldn't need to be here. ;)

But, then again I'm a Hillbilly, we do strange things just because. :)

Did you read the part about it still sucking without a GOOD singer. :unsure: If I could sing like Steve or Layne I wouldn't need to be here. ;)

But, then again I'm a Hillbilly, we do strange things just because. :)

You say Hillbilly with kind of a negative conotation. I hear hillbilly and read it as independent culture with defining characteristics and staying true to the way they are raised. Nothing wrong with that. Furthermore i aplaud you for staying true to who you are. :)

You say Hillbilly with kind of a negative conotation. I hear hillbilly and read it as independent culture with defining characteristics and staying true to the way they are raised. Nothing wrong with that. Furthermore i aplaud you for staying true to who you are.

Hell yeah. MDEW should take Hillbilly all the way. Layne Staley and Steven Tyler already existed anyway. He should take this thing to it's limit.

Hell yeah. MDEW should take Hillbilly all the way. Layne Staley and Steven Tyler already existed anyway. He should take this thing to it's limit.

I truly want to see a banjo playing true texan in todays music. I know they exist but i want to hear it more exposed. Good music is hard to come by these days if your not actively looking. Im getting tired of ke$has and nicki minaj Style song.

I'm potentially nearing a fix for some of my tech problem in recordings. If you get some kind of version to a click track (steady beat per minute) I'd put down some drums. I'm going to be doing some pretty hardcore training on piano and drums if this recording system works out so I'm gonna need some practice.

I may try some things later on this evening. I was thinking about this song on the drive to work. That was when I started hearing Steven singing it in my mind. I could kind of hear the drums too and it seemed like it would work in that style.

You say Hillbilly with kind of a negative conotation. I hear hillbilly and read it as independent culture with defining characteristics and staying true to the way they are raised. Nothing wrong with that. Furthermore i aplaud you for staying true to who you are. :)

I was not meaning that in a negative way......Pretty much the same way as you descibed it. Do things our way, sometimes Just to be different. It is more fun. :)

Well, even Steve Perry lurks the forum looking for tips, so why shouldn't you be here? :lol:

True, I would like to hear Steve Perry capture the smoothness of John Legend. Or John sing "Open Arms".