Heaven and hell - second try

• TMV World Legacy Member

Ok, here is new version of me singing "Heaven and Hell". 

I've been training distortion lately, so I thought I would like to try it. Now it sounds more that I like. I also didn't sing so loud this time and that helped too to get better tone. I forgot to sing the "On and on and on" part with ah vowel,  :lol: but tone is better this time so it doesn't matter to me.

Give me your opinions, thanks.

Is it flat or is it just me?

It still sounds like it's not a free configuration. Are you feeling strain?

I like the distortion though. I dunno what your teacher's having you do, but I think that lightening the mass would be apt. It's not only about the volume, it's rather the way you trust the headvoice to sound as badass as your chestvoice, and, in fact, how much more badass it sounds once you let it do most of the work.

Can you sing this song with literally only headvoice, but keep it connected? If not, there's something in the vowels you're not doing in an optimal way. Or that'd be my take on it. I'd still just try singing this lightly with a "ou" shape, then just add mass and open it up a bit.

Someone shoot me down if I'm wrong:

I used to think shaping vowels and "singing vowels" or "modifying vowels" was in relation to the phrases sung rather than pitch. It's more about keeping a certain vowel shape in your larynx/throat while singing the phrase. So you're singing phrases, but the "feel" of the phrase is kept on a certain vowel, usually a narrow one, when dealing with difficult notes. To try it out sing the first phrase on a narrow vowel, for example, "ou," which forces you to keep your mouth very narrow. Then just relax and open your mouth wider and the vowel will sound more like "ae" but your throat will feel like it's still singing "ou." this feeling is definitely not strain, more of a release.

Doing it like Dio is easier (not easy) once you do it like Sanchez first. ;)

HEAVEN AND HELL Coheed and Cambria:

"'Means are many' said the hag as she wiped the table with a cat."

Is it flat or is it just me?

It still sounds like it's not a free configuration. Are you feeling strain?

I like the distortion though. I dunno what your teacher's having you do, but I think that lightening the mass would be apt. It's not only about the volume, it's rather the way you trust the headvoice to sound as badass as your chestvoice, and, in fact, how much more badass it sounds once you let it do most of the work.

Can you sing this song with literally only headvoice, but keep it connected? If not, there's something in the vowels you're not doing in an optimal way. Or that'd be my take on it. I'd still just try singing this lightly with a "ou" shape, then just add mass and open it up a bit.

Someone shoot me down if I'm wrong:

I used to think shaping vowels and "singing vowels" or "modifying vowels" was in relation to the phrases sung rather than pitch. It's more about keeping a certain vowel shape in your larynx/throat while singing the phrase. So you're singing phrases, but the "feel" of the phrase is kept on a certain vowel, usually a narrow one, when dealing with difficult notes. To try it out sing the first phrase on a narrow vowel, for example, "ou," which forces you to keep your mouth very narrow. Then just relax and open your mouth wider and the vowel will sound more like "ae" but your throat will feel like it's still singing "ou." this feeling is definitely not strain, more of a release.

Doing it like Dio is easier (not easy) once you do it like Sanchez first. ;)

HEAVEN AND HELL Coheed and Cambria:

I don't feel straining or hoarse at all. I can keep singing like that for hours.

I try to sing it with lighter configuration at weekend and maybe when I have time I record it. I know it's not as free sounding as I would want, but now it sounds better to me. Your suggestion to sing little less volume really helped me. Thanks for your advices!

Hey man i heard it, your close but your vowelmods are abit all over the place wich throws it abit pitchy. Try this, im hearing that your closing down abit to much on the closed vowels specialy the ih/ee vowels.

Hey man i heard it, your close but your vowelmods are abit all over the place wich throws it abit pitchy. Try this, im hearing that your closing down abit to much on the closed vowels specialy the ih/ee vowels.

Great explanation! I hear that too, that I close vowels too much and that makes my singing sound strangled and too tight sounding. I will try this too. Thanks man!

No problem man, I did very similar to your clip for a long time and this solved alot of issues :) so much easyer to both sing and stay on pitch when the closed vowels are similar to the open ones, get alot of success with this with My students aswell cheers

">

Amazing practical demonstration. Thanks Jens!

"'Means are many' said the hag as she wiped the table with a cat."