Rainbow - Catch the Rainbow short cover

• TMV World Legacy Member

New member on our boards Anthony insoired me to try this song, i whiped out my guitar and a mobile phone and tried recording it :P

Its one take and i had to read the chords and the lyrics from my mobile phone so its a bit all over the place. 

Also on the highest point in the song i kinda broke down but thats fine because i would like some tips on that. I think the note is B4. That is a note that i can sometimes sing decently when warmed up, but it ussualy sounds like it does in the clip.

Thanks in advance!!

https://app.box.com/s/v09xc5zbj4b8zjflt32vehzu23i84wnv

Dude, you really got such a nice timbre that almost makes me jealous...a good kind of jealous.

​wow thanks Gnee!! I always hated my timbre. I think it sound too boyish and not suited for rock/metal which i listen the most...coincidentaly Rainbow is my favourite band, and only song i can sing by them is Temple of the King which caps at A4...but im not giving up NEVERRRRRRR

Haha! I find it funny that you've hated your timbre when it is so great! :D

Now, to the matter at hand, great rendition (no surprises there), but I've got a question: are your jaw relaxed when you sing up there?
I can't put my finger on it, but it sounds like you've got a tense jaw and trying to hold your voice down. It is most noticable during the word "made" (as in "chains made of steel"). I can picture your tense jaw when you sing that. If that's true, it is probably the root to your problems. I can't help but feel that you sing too well for it to be just a matter of short range. Honestly, I think your "I've always hated my timbre" is stifling you a bit. I think you know pretty well that you need to have a relaxded jaw and place the note higher up/in the back of your mouth actually, but that it creates a less great-sounding timbre which makes you reluctant to do it. I've been there myself; refusing to do the right thing because it will reveal how "ugly" my voice really is, or perhaps I'm reading too much into it :) Just a thought that might get things going though...

Also, don't take the "easy" way out of the phrase "so bless me" like you do now with that whiplash approach (referring to your "bless") :D
I know that's how Dio did it, but he can do whatever he likes haha. You should sustain that note and shorten "me" instead so you can practice. As of now it sounds like you're just throwing it out there and hoping for the best, and that's a recipe for pain.

Sorry, if I'm hard on you, but you're a diamond in the rough; I want you to succeed :)

Also, I feel like i have to put my money where my mouth is and sing this song as well, now that I'm in two different threads about the same song acting like I'm a pro, but I don't have the time :( I can record that particular phrase though haha! Yeah, I will do that, just for the fun of it :)

Enander you are spot on. I do clench my jaw at times and i do close off the mouth, almost like im gripping on my teeth (like im angry and im pressing my teeth hard. 

I wanna do a full cover now hahah gonna try recordung it these days :) need some practice tough this was really spintaneous and impromtu.

Ah, I see! :)
I just sang it, and I think it will sort it self out quite easily for you once you relax your jaw a bit. I think different vowel placement might do the trick; try open up a bit more.

Yeah, do the full cover! :D

Im gonna try putting down something this sunday. Be sure to tune in. Gonna try opening up a bit and make it as stable as possible. Gonna includevyour tips :)

Ah, so THIS is how it's meant to be done!? :lol:

Brilliant work. Are you singing the second half of this in chest voice?

To be honest bro i have no clue. I think i am yea. I always pushed chest hard. Lately ive been learning how to release into head voice but the vocal mass is still preety high.

Hi Elvis!

Many things seems to be on the right direction, but it needs work. The highest parts seem to be lacking support and energy... But more important than that man, dynamics, this song has a beautiful interpretation line and you are delivering it flat out on the same same level all the way through it, lets check the old man doing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvVKj0c0UTQ

Check at 3:40 : Soft and WAAAAAARmmmm (f) she touch my face (p)....

The good thing is, the same kind of support you will need to do the lower intensity notes without falling appart/breaking, is what you will have to do on the higher sections, stronger for the higher notes of course.

The position you are using through the song is indeed a bit nasal also, try thinking of a half yawn, giving space on the back, dopey voice to correct it. But, don´t let the sensation change, do so while directing your voice to the same place you are right now, if that makes sense. I would only go for this kind of position on the higher areas btw.

Ty felipe. Il do a full cover on sunday and ill use those tips.

Also i am aware of dynamic issue. The thing is was bassically learning it on the spot and recording It the same time.

Im deffinatelly sing it with more finesse on the full version.