Drive - Incubus - Cover by Mivke

• Administrator

Mivke,

Nice job, I have coached this song before...

I think you did a decent job on this, its good... 

My ears want to hear brighter harmonics in your formant. It is a little bit dark or throaty  in the overall sound color... I would like to hear this masked more... edge the vowels forward to the hard palette and brighten this a bit....

However, by the time you get to the 2nd chorus, it started lifting and getting brighter... Id say the 2nd half, it starts balancing in sound color... listen to how dark the first half is... its very different then the later 2/3 of the song. 1/3 of the song is a big too dark.

• 2 weeks later...
  • TMV World Legacy Member

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply!

@Rob: Thanks for listening man! Alright, I will try to make sure to not get too dull and dark when going down in dynamics :)

@Ron: Thanks man! I just sang this at an audition two days ago playing my guitar aswell. Was a blast thanks to the confidence given by you two :)

Cheers guys!

• 5 months later...
  • TMV World Member
On 17/09/2015 at 0:25 PM, Mivke said:

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply!

@Rob: Thanks for listening man! Alright, I will try to make sure to not get too dull and dark when going down in dynamics :)

@Ron: Thanks man! I just sang this at an audition two days ago playing my guitar aswell. Was a blast thanks to the confidence given by you two :)

Cheers guys!

Sorry for reviving this topic but could you tell me what softwares and equipment you used to record this? Did you play the instruments as well?

19 hours ago, reisbro said:

Sorry for reviving this topic but could you tell me what softwares and equipment you used to record this? Did you play the instruments as well?

Hey Reisbro, I cannot say for certain hoe Mivke recorded his cover, but the vas majority uses backing tracks (instrumental tracks) or karaoke tracks to provide the accompaniment for singing. So, in order to start recording you will need at least a backing track of the song you want to record (if you don't play yourself any instrument), a decent basic microphone, mic cable, an audio interface (a piece of equipment that will convert the signal of the microphone to your computer, and a recording program, or DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). I think you can find lots of useful info in here http://www.themodernvocalistworld.com/forum/9-home-recording/

Cheers

Hey Reisbro!

I indeed used a backing track with all the instruments aswell as the backing vocals. The main vocals were recorded on an sE2200a II C mic into a free program called DAW called Reaper. Hope that helps and thanks for listening! :)

• TMV World Member
On 08/03/2016 at 3:08 PM, Gneetapp said:

Hey Reisbro, I cannot say for certain hoe Mivke recorded his cover, but the vas majority uses backing tracks (instrumental tracks) or karaoke tracks to provide the accompaniment for singing. So, in order to start recording you will need at least a backing track of the song you want to record (if you don't play yourself any instrument), a decent basic microphone, mic cable, an audio interface (a piece of equipment that will convert the signal of the microphone to your computer, and a recording program, or DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). I think you can find lots of useful info in here http://www.themodernvocalistworld.com/forum/9-home-recording/

Cheers

On 09/03/2016 at 6:53 AM, Mivke said:

Hey Reisbro!

I indeed used a backing track with all the instruments aswell as the backing vocals. The main vocals were recorded on an sE2200a II C mic into a free program called DAW called Reaper. Hope that helps and thanks for listening! :)

Thanks a lot guys! I do play the instruments but I am new to this whole recording world haha, I created an youtube channel and will start posting covers as soon as I figure out how to properly record everything and acquire good equipment. I just hope I sound as good as you haha, that was an awesome cover! Thanks again!

8 hours ago, reisbro said:

Thanks a lot guys! I do play the instruments but I am new to this whole recording world haha, I created an youtube channel and will start posting covers as soon as I figure out how to properly record everything and acquire good equipment. I just hope I sound as good as you haha, that was an awesome cover! Thanks again!

So, if you need help to get the equipments you should check the The Vocal Gear Store http://astore.amazon.com/thevocastudin-20

And if you need more technical info (it seems that you do) on how to put everything together you should check this post about Home Recording 

Good luck man!

Hey Reisbro, thanks for taking a listen! :)

I've been rather lazy as of late, but hopefully there will be another cover coming from me soon!

Also, looking forward to hearing your covers man.

Hey Bruce, thanks for the input!

Indeed you are correct, those spots are flat. I will try to remember that when I sing it so I can adjust it :) Also, I can take no credit for the backing vocals, they came with the backing track. Probably why they sound better than me :P

Thanks for listening again man!