An attempt at jazz. Summertime

• TMV World Legacy Member

I sort of fudged it on the ending, but I would still like to know what you guys think. Are there pitch problems? If so, were at exactly, and is it because of breath support, or lack of confidence on the notes? Did the phrasing seem to be consistent through the entire piece? I mean.. I can see some of my own mistakes, but it never hurts to have outside perspectives..

Thanks,

Travis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04WgdMdR1ow

(Also, a side-note. I plan on ordering a new microphone or two over the next couple of weeks. I hope this can improve the sound quality of my videos for viewing.)

"There is no bad music, only bad listeners."

Maybe I have a bad ear but I think you did fine. Let me explain, a little. My first wife had a bachelor's degree in piano performance and pedagogy and this was one of her songs to play, in addition to her classical set list. And you played it like she did, from the heart. If you knew her and me, you would know that's a high compliment. I also applaud your stripped down arrangement of the accompaniment. It reminds me of words of wisdom from Annie Lennox, of her own fame and that with Dave Stewart as the Eurythmics. "If you can't do the song with one instrument and a voice, it's not a song." (You will have to imagine her slight scottish accent.) And yours was well done. Nice, tight vibrato. Well done on crescendos and the converse. Good counterpoint and syncopation. You made this song yours and, in my book, that is golden.

Your phrasing was spot on. This is a torch song, made for smoky nightclubs with ladies in elegant gowns and heels and guys in zoot suits smoking cigars. And a single scotch, neat, with a soda chaser. You may be young but you've got that "thing."

Thanks so much. I really appreciate your compliment and feedback. This song is one of my favorites to sing and play. And yes, I stripped the piano accompaniment down so that my voice could be a little more distinguished.

Thank you again,

Travis

It was probably my Elton John Cover. And thank you very much. Here is a link to my channel. It has all my current videos on it. Some are better than others, be warned. I think they all have their own appeal, however.

Thanks again for watching.

Travis

http://www.youtube.com/user/Orendrol?feature=mhum

i think it sound pretty good.

But i think you'll get maybe more "emotional" singing if you try to raise the pitch a little, say a step higher. you know being a little less on your comfortable zone ;-)

Consider me a fan! That was very well performed and quite unique to boot. I'm going to take your audio off the video and do some studio tweaking to remove the hiss etc and give you a little reverb. Then I'll post it in a link for everyone to enjoy. That was seriously good!

"GIDDYUP!"

Here's the tweaked audio. Hope you don't mind me playing with it. I removed a lot of noise and gave you some live room sound to it. I also compressed it to bring the levels up.

https://files.me.com/muskysnax/xe6nh9.mp3

"GIDDYUP!"

Oh my goodness. I personally think my voice sounds much jazzier with a little reverb. I greatly appreciate this. If you don't mind me asking, what program did you use to tweak it?

Glad you like what I did. I used a variety of techniques and plugins with Logic Pro 9 on my Macbook. I removed the background hiss and some crackles with Sonnox Oxford plugins. I agree that the reverb made your vocals sound better. Your performance was outstanding, you just needed a little enhancing on the production side of things.

Of course I was limited by the fact that your voice and the piano are on the same track so whatever I would do to one I would do to the other.

The more I listen to your performance the more I like it!

"GIDDYUP!"

Well, I hope to soon have a decent microphone for recording. When I do, I think I might use audacity so that I can keep the vocal and piano tracks separate so that I can do a little bit of editing myself. Thanks again for your comments. They are very well received. :D

Travis

If you can send me the separate tracks I'd really enjoy mixing it for you. I really do like your singing. You could have a great career in music in my opinion.

"GIDDYUP!"