Phrases from Tonights Training. Rainbow, D Purple, Badlands, Soundgarden

• TMV World Member

Some quicky vocals from tonight's training session...working on A4 and B4

I just sang against the actual song so it was a little hard to hear the rhythm track etc etc

Phrases from Rainbow "I surrender", Deep Purple "Mistreated", Badlands "Seasons", Soundgarden "Rusty Cage"

Its mostly A4 stuff except the Badlands is B4. That Badlands phrase "I know its too late" is the phrase I found my headvoice on about 6-8 weeks ago

enjoy, comment if u want to. Essentially I have about 4 decent days of training behind me now lol. Even that slight amount seems to be helping..so hopefully things well trend better for quite some time now

Dry vocal https://clyp.it/xzn2jbpi

Some light processing https://clyp.it/hiia2oqg

• TMV World Legacy Member

Can you sustain the notes cleanly for some seconds?  I ask because as i understand you are doing this as training. If you have some bad habits singing clean, it will be more difficult to drop them while singing with distortion. So check that out :D  other that that, good job, ill justo work on going through the phrases slowly and sustaining every vowel for 3-4 seconds.

• TMV World Member
44 minutes ago, Xamedhi said:

Can you sustain the notes cleanly for some seconds?  I ask because as i understand you are doing this as training. If you have some bad habits singing clean, it will be more difficult to drop them while singing with distortion. So check that out :D  other that that, good job, ill justo work on going through the phrases slowly and sustaining every vowel for 3-4 seconds.

Well, not to be TOO obvious, but essentially I was trying to sing them as I heard them on the MP3s lol

for instance that first phrase "I surrender". When I first sang it I just sustained it out etc. Then I listened back to it against the original and I saw that the original didnt just sustain out indefinitely....it had a definite end on a certain beat etc

So if the song sustains a note for several seconds then that is what I do...and if I cant I try another song lol.

Well, for training just modify the songs to your liking, "do what you need" is what I feel about singing. If someone wants to stay a couple minutes just repeating the word "boooriiiiing!!" in whatever pitch they need to work on then cool, lol I do that stuff myself haha

Already sounds pretty good to me. Why not go ahead and put together some kind of cover just to see how it sounds. It would not have to be anything super hard to sing. Sure people get stuck on stupid things like "You do not sound like DIO, or Perry or whatever" The point is whether it sound good with your voice the way it is, and does it feel good to sing this way.

And as for the other subject that always comes up. You sound pretty friggin' polished as it is. It is NOT this way for most singers, especially the ones who end up here.

And for people stopping in here to give you tips and pointers or props......... Have you even listened to one of my songs that I posted here? If you have you did not comment. Good or Bad. I look for feedback also.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

• TMV World Member
3 hours ago, MDEW said:

Already sounds pretty good to me. Why not go ahead and put together some kind of cover just to see how it sounds. It would not have to be anything super hard to sing. Sure people get stuck on stupid things like "You do not sound like DIO, or Perry or whatever" The point is whether it sound good with your voice the way it is, and does it feel good to sing this way.

And as for the other subject that always comes up. You sound pretty friggin' polished as it is. It is NOT this way for most singers, especially the ones who end up here.

And for people stopping in here to give you tips and pointers or props......... Have you even listened to one of my songs that I posted here? If you have you did not comment. Good or Bad. I look for feedback also.

haha. well I DID do that Scorpions cover, thinking it would be an easy thing to knock off...it wasnt and it makes me cringe a tiny bit. id give it about a 5 out of 10. next time ill at least cover someone who has English as a first language hehe

I think its all about time and energy. doing a whole actual cover...shoot...you probably looking at at least 10 hours or whatever. If/when I do find the motivation and energy, I just tend to try to write an original

as I get better I may do a few more covers as it will be a faster process

I listened to some of your stuff a while back. I probably felt I was too new to comment. It was b4 the BeeGees practice one. Just from memory it sounded to me like you were barely breathing lol. Almost like you were speaking as opposed to singing. I was thinking to myself "what good is all the talk about this or that coordination if you dont even have any wind flowing?" lol. Like I say though I forget what song it was. Yes, im very helpful lol

• TMV World Member
3 hours ago, MDEW said:

You sound pretty friggin' polished as it is.

haha, if I let that comment stand it would be like I agreed with it. I give some of those examples maybe a 5 or 6 outta 10. Nothing "polished" in sight though hehe. On most of them I am barely making it lol. I just dont quite yet have the strength. But thats my personality, im always reaching for something I cant quite get as opposed to doing something I can easily manage.

The badlands phrase I think I can handle but the whole headphone/volume setup wasnt quite right and the way I had the sample setup to sing against, I didnt leave myself enough lead in time and I kept coming in wrong lol

5 hours ago, JonJon said:

I listened to some of your stuff a while back. I probably felt I was too new to comment. It was b4 the BeeGees practice one. Just from memory it sounded to me like you were barely breathing lol. Almost like you were speaking as opposed to singing. I was thinking to myself "what good is all the talk about this or that coordination if you dont even have any wind flowing?" lol. Like I say though I forget what song it was. Yes, im very helpful lol

Perhaps that is exactly what I needed to hear. People mention support more.   Most of the time when support is mentioned the phrase "Cut Back The Air" is mentioned. Or tighten up the diaphragm, control air flow.  Which is what I was doing. My recording time ends up between 11:00 pm and 2:00 am while others are sleeping. So getting loud is out of the question.

4 hours ago, JonJon said:

haha, if I let that comment stand it would be like I agreed with it. I give some of those examples maybe a 5 or 6 outta 10. Nothing "polished" in sight though hehe. On most of them I am barely making it lol. I just dont quite yet have the strength. But thats my personality, im always reaching for something I cant quite get as opposed to doing something I can easily manage.

The badlands phrase I think I can handle but the whole headphone/volume setup wasnt quite right and the way I had the sample setup to sing against, I didnt leave myself enough lead in time and I kept coming in wrong lol

One or two phrases out of context will not show anything.

A complete song does not have to be a full blown production. Not when when the goal is working on the voice.   Background guitar with basic rhythm will suffice.

Still your tone is beyond most of those who seek "Tips or Strategies, Techniques and stuff" and the best advice I can give is to sing more "FULL" songs.  At this point what you need more is to manage how to deal with the flow of lyrics along with your tone. To deal with that, tackle songs that have already been established.

6 hours ago, JonJon said:

You are always talking about your voice not being strong enough... And I tell you right away, your voice is faaaar stronger than what I had when I started. In adduction, endurance, range.. And I still could do modal\full voice voice up to D5 because I had the coordinations. Now I have a vocal gap that affects my voice on top of my already weak muscular base, but I still sing full D#5 and E5, so no excuses, man. Its not strength, it's coordination, and you can get it in a month or two consistently.

You definitely build strength, I can assure that because I've got a lot better in that aspect, but the coordinations are the most important, because without knowing it how can you even practice it?

I recommend going lighter in mass on the C5 area... And as your falsetto is really strong, you will probably get to an E5 in full voice

25 minutes ago, Xamedhi said:

You are always talking about your voice not being strong enough... And I tell you right away, your voice is faaaar stronger than what I had when I started. In adduction, endurance, range.. And I still could do modal\full voice voice up to D5 because I had the coordinations. Now I have a vocal gap that affects my voice on top of my already weak muscular base, but I still sing full D#5 and E5, so no excuses, man. Its not strength, it's coordination, and you can get it in a month of two consistently.

You definitely build strength, I can assure that because I've got a lot better in that aspect, but the coordinations are the most important, because without knowing it how can you even practice it?

I recommend going lighter in mass on the C5 area... And as your falsetto is really strong, you will probably get to an E5 in full voice

Xamedhi has a good point. Perhaps in your case lightening up would be a better strategy.

Jonjon, you mentioned before that even some of those who took lessons still suck. That is true. Singing is as much about dynamics and choices as anything else. If everything is full blown belting then there is no dynamics. Whereas I may have too little air, you may be using too much. Meaning that your filling the lungs too much thinking that you need more power and you need more strength to hold things together. With too much air in the lungs the vocal folds have to hold tighter to keep from blowing apart.

Part of the "Lift up and pull back" thing is to take the pressure off and reduce mass of the vocal folds

• Review My Singing Membership
1 hour ago, Xamedhi said:

You are always talking about your voice not being strong enough... And I tell you right away, your voice is faaaar stronger than what I had when I started. In adduction, endurance, range.. And I still could do modal\full voice voice up to D5 because I had the coordinations. Now I have a vocal gap that affects my voice on top of my already weak muscular base, but I still sing full D#5 and E5, so no excuses, man. Its not strength, it's coordination, and you can get it in a month or two consistently.

I've been having the same difficulty. Up to B4 I can sing in head voice, but after that it gets very reinforced-falsettoish. By D5 I sound very shrill and girly, and it only gets worse after that. Any types on how to address this?

• Review My Singing Membership
13 minutes ago, Xamedhi said:

I don't really know what you mean by that, man. What issue are you having?  A vocal gap? Weak adduction? If you sound girly by D5 then you probable are not engaging the TA musculature.

I'm having a weak sounding head voice after B4.