• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi Folks, 

This is a song that I have wanted to sing for a very long time.  This is as you all know, an incredibly difficult song on the passagio.  I don't think I sound anything like Steve, so it makes it way more difficult for me. It is a bit of a Mount Everest for me this song :)

This is a work in progress version. There are some pitching issues, please ignore.  I am curious to hear what you think about my tone in the chorus

Thanks to anyone who can drop in a few words

Hi, I thought you did a really nice job on a singer that very few are brave enough to tackle lol. I thought overall you did good work negotiating the passagio danger notes. That is always the trick with Steve Perry Vocals the man lived in the Passagio for most male singers haha. Always hard to slip in and out of those areas. I would suggest keep working on it. You seem to be hitting the notes fine and the pitch is there. The tone could be just a bit more supported I believe and it would help you sound a little more like Perry. That being said the lighter sounds can be used to show the vulnerability of the songs lyric. A great job on a super hard singer and like you Perry is a tough singer for me because of his timber and tone are difficult for me to nail.

10 hours ago, Musikman7002 said:

Hi, I thought you did a really nice job on a singer that very few are brave enough to tackle lol. I thought overall you did good work negotiating the passagio danger notes. That is always the trick with Steve Perry Vocals the man lived in the Passagio for most male singers haha. Always hard to slip in and out of those areas. I would suggest keep working on it. You seem to be hitting the notes fine and the pitch is there. The tone could be just a bit more supported I believe and it would help you sound a little more like Perry. That being said the lighter sounds can be used to show the vulnerability of the songs lyric. A great job on a super hard singer and like you Perry is a tough singer for me because of his timber and tone are difficult for me to nail.

Thanks.. Steve Perry is by far the most difficult singer to emulate.  All his songs lie smack on the passagio. It is easy to imagine everything going terribly wrong if not sung with the most perfect technique. You cannot force his songs in a manner that you can do wth a lot of other singers.  He sings in a very high range with a light character with a lot of dynamics.  That is what makes his songs so difficult.  He is not monotonous in the high range.  That takes a lot more skill I suppose.  I guess this is where having a high tenor voice helps, since you can sing with less effort and still retain the weight.  I am not sure if I can support anymore than what I am doing currently.  Perhaps another two years and maybe it will sound better indeed!  

• Administrator

Nice effort. Keep going ... if you continue to work on this it will become great. Id give you a B.

One thing that blares to me is when you sing "arms". Your really pinching down on "arms". I suspect that is because your articulators are trying to negotiate the /r/ controlled vowel there "ar"... its a killer. Modify the vowel there. Open that up. Try adding more /uh/ to your "arms" ... 

11 hours ago, Robert Lunte said:

One thing that blares to me is when you sing "arms". Your really pinching down on "arms". I suspect that is because your articulators are trying to negotiathe the /r/ controlled vowel there "ar"... its a killer. Modify the vowel there. Open that up. Try adding more /uh/ to your "arms" ...

Thanks Rob.  That is very valuable feedback indeed.  I had not noticed that..