• TMV World Member

Hi, so I have a hard time belting. A lot. It seems I can't figure out how to properly let the air flow or something. I was wondering if anyone could assist me in this dilemma, I even made a recording on youtube to help get a better understanding of what I'm doing and how to fix it. I did half of a song that represents me belting a few times and even if you see other issues that isn't belting, please point them out. I am finally asking for some help. 

I would appreciate some helpful feedback~ 

• Administrator

Hello Kaidan29,

It is great to have you hear and welcome! You are indeed at the right place to get some consultation and help with your training and singing. Two things:

1). Please embed your YouTube links into the post... you can do that by:

- Open the menu in the bottom right corner titled, "Embed Videos & Images".

- Click on "Insert Link for Video & Images" and paste your link in.

2). The feedback or consultation that you are asking for happens over at the "Review My Singing" forum. Reviews are consultations and require a lot of energy and thought goes behind it. Therefore, to have your singing reviewed, it is a paid service, but don't panic... :bigblueeyes:  It is only $5/mth and you can cancel anytime... or $35/year to have this service for a year. Pretty much unlimited. Here is the link to purchase the "Review My Singing" service.

http://www.themodernvocalistworld.com/store/category/2-premium-membership-plans/

After payment, your ability to post your question will be enabled.

I am moving this post over to "Review My Singing"... 

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me on the private email system... 

• Administrator

Ok, I listened to your track and here is the situation as I hear it.

1). Ok, for starters this is not belting. It isn't even close to belting. You couldn't even stretch the imagination and call this belting. For the most part, this is the physical mode call "sob". It sounds very Sobbing to me, or cry like. Now that is not a bummer on you, it is just an observation. I think you are confused about what belting is. Belting would be a sound that is a lot more "heavy" in its attack and sound color. It would have more chest voice qualities and is, not a soft sob approach, but a stronger, tougher sound color. Watch my new video on Belting. You can hear that the sounds you are making are not belting.

This doesn't mean you can't belt or can't learn to belt at all... it only means, the tis not belting and that you may be confused as to what belting actually is.

2). Your voice is very under utilized. That means a lack of respiration and intrinsic musculature is making your voice a very weak system that is barely holding on. There are some pretty bad pitch/intonation issues here but I suspect most of that is due to the simple lack of support and infrastructure to your voice. The result is a sort of, sob like tone or vibe. This could actually play to your advantage if again, you had more respiratory and muscular support in the voice.

I have heard samples like this before in the "Review My Singing" and it is a fairly common situation. When you are not training your voice and working it out, it gets lazy. It even sounds lazy. Are you training your voice? Do you have a vocal training program that you are working on by chance? Are you taking voice lessons? I suspect the answer is no. This would be the first thing I would recommend for you. You need to learn about the singing voice, how it works, what it is about and how to train it. The singing voice is not the speaking voice. They are two very different things... and only through some study and hands on training will you REALLY begin to understand and get that.

3). What elements of your voice that we do hear that are nice is the tone. You do have a lovely tone in that sob like style and that could be used to your advantage on a song like this, but without the support, you'll never be able to make it work for you. You have potential for sure. It just comes down to getting to work and making a commitment to vocal training. I offer a vocal training program that is pretty popular called, "The Four Pillars of Singing" that, ... if you commit to it, will help you to sing a lot better. This review and pointing you to my program is the best I can do for you, the rest is up to you.

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi Kaidan29, You do have a nice tone, One thing that is a popular misconception is that soft singing takes a low volume and less effort. It actully takes as much or more effort because you are controlling the voice to sound soft. Singing generally takes an air flow and energy similar to scolding someone........... Picture this............You walk into a room and find your son, daughter or younger sibling coloring in your favorite book  or school report. Without thinking you say (with emotion)  "Stop! What do you think you are doing? I needed that."        That would be the same kind of energy needed in singing ..... Your voice needs air and energy to be efficent.

It is also easier to control pitch with this type of energy.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."