Sugar - Maroon 5

• TMV World Legacy Member

Awesome. Perfect, absolutely perfect match of voice and song. I did not realize how similar you and Adam Levine sound. Your whole voice works for this song and vice versa. I don't know if every Maroon 5 song will work out for you like this but you could also work this genre quite well.

Hi Aravind, first of all congrats for trying something so out of your comfort zone, and doing it so well. I have to agree with Ronws about the perfect match between your voice and the song. I liked the way you did both the verses and chorus. I think that with more practice you will feel more comfortable with the song and it will sound even better, especially in the chorus. Also, for my taste, I would like the chorus even more if you increased the "aduction of the folds / twang" (sorry I'm not sure which one). Cheers and keep them coming. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ronws said:

silliness. Your avatar pic looks like a young Bruce Jenner, the olympic gold medalist.

Well. It is how i look... nothing can do about it... (its not like i want either :) ) thats not the reason I came here btw! I was thinking of posting smthng, but had to crawl back. I really cant compete with these talents and I still need my medal...

• Administrator

Hi Review Team,

Aravind, 

This is good. Nice work... I agree with Gneetapp. It is a good thing to reach out and try new styles and vocal sounds you are not accustomed to. This is a very healthy attitude and will really blow open your perspectives on song writing. The singing is good+.

The one thing I would recommend is in regards to your production. Your A/V synch needs to be better. I HIGHLY recommend this application, it works great.

http://www.dreamsyncapp.com/purchase-now/

2 hours ago, Robert Lunte said:

Hi Review Team,

Aravind, 

This is good. Nice work... I agree with Gneetapp. It is a good thing to reach out and try new styles and vocal sounds you are not accustomed to. This is a very healthy attitude and will really blow open your perspectives on song writing. The singing is good+.

The one thing I would recommend is in regards to your production. Your A/V synch needs to be better. I HIGHLY recommend this application, it works great.

http://www.dreamsyncapp.com/purchase-now/

Thanks Rob.  Your feedback means a lot to me.  I will check out the app you have recommended.  I am just too lazy to bother about my production, but I guess it won't hurt me to improve my production :)  

It seems like when you lean towards curbing people seem to respond favorably. My habits are to lean towards that too, but I find if I hold onto it too high it tend to want to plug up. 

But for the highest parts of the chorus you might want to lean back into more forward vowels letting twang give more of the body. When I listened to the original though,the placement is quite close and it's more production that sets you apart.

Increasing some of the brighter side of the EQ spectrum and light auto tune would place you closer to the original more so than the placement adjustment.

Overall, I think it's a good direction for your voice, as you have a bright/light voice and working with it seems like a good idea.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, aravindmadis said:

Thanks Rob.  Your feedback means a lot to me.  I will check out the app you have recommended.  I am just too lazy to bother about my production, but I guess it won't hurt me to improve my production :)  

You are welcome... but wait a minute, TIME OUT!

If you are posting content on YouTube that is being seen by thousands of people around the world, and you , presumably... want people to get the impression that you are tracking that thing in real-time, a one-time purchase of a useful application and an extra 10 minutes in your editing is worth it. If I were you, I would sign up for their newsletter or even send a personal message to the company and just ask them if you can get it at a discount, they likely will give you a code.

• Administrator
55 minutes ago, KillerKu said:

It seems like when you lean towards curbing people seem to respond favorably. My habits are to lean towards that too, but I find if I hold onto it too high it tend to want to plug up. 

But for the highest parts of the chorus you might want to lean back into more forward vowels letting twang give more of the body. When I listened to the original though,the placement is quite close and it's more production that sets you apart.

Increasing some of the brighter side of the EQ spectrum and light auto tune would place you closer to the original more so than the placement adjustment.

Overall, I think it's a good direction for your voice, as you have a bright/light voice and working with it seems like a good idea.

Excellent feedback from Killer here... agreed. BTW, he is an experienced engineer.

Killer, the reason back resonant vowels get sluggish is because they tend to relax the musculature inside, in particular, they make it more difficult to articulate above the bridge. I always try to track and train songs with a combination of back resonance for warmth, but always... a healthy amount of edging resonance as well, not only to balance the formant color (bass know + treble knob), but because as you pointed out Killer... edging vowels engage the twanger and that means you tend to get more intrinsic anchoring ... and that means articulation improves. 

The benefits of how forward resonant vowels help with singing songs above the bridge are explained in detail in "The Four Pillars of Singing"... its in about 5 lessons on the system, in the book, videos, etc...  Edging better, is one of the most important things I have worked on personally in the last 3 years to improve my singing.

- Edging better.

- Building more TA strength for belting.

- Narrowing to improve the formant balance and amplify more, instead of shouting more.