Judas Priest Cover - Dissident Aggressor

Rate this topic

akarawd

Link : http://www.box.net/shared/bpt26yy5xguhqehteh8q

Info about the recording/performance :

The track is a whole tone lower than the original, sung all the way through (did only one phrase somewhere a second time).

No autotuners, just a high pass filter (analog style but quite high to avoid the shortcomings of the digi002 preamps, sadly my trusty audient preamp just died),

a bit of compression, a bit of reverb, delay and a touch of chorus.

Where there is distortion/grit/gruff etc it's totally intentional, controlled and not in the least harmful or painful.

There is a lot I could have corrected but chose not to, this is what I can achieve at the moment if I were to sing it live.

What are the weak points ? please be honest, I want to improve.

Cheers,

Thanos

Thanos - That sounds really great! You've got nice control when jumping octaves. And the distortion is really good. The only thing for me is some of the vowels are a tad closed - but just some of them toward the end in the lower part. Excellent job!

Rofleren : Glad you liked it, the vibrato thing I love too - now that I can actually hold a note without it that is

Geno : Thanks man! When you get a minute, please pinpoint the exact phrases, I want to hear what you hear and really understand.

This is the sort of help I'm looking for.

Jugulator, glad you liked it. I can adjust the speed of the vibrato and do any rate but I find the slow one to be really pleasurable to sing.

Guitartrek, I checked the points you mentioned ; I can clearly hear what you're saying, thanks man.

Hello, Thanos, what a great achievement you have made here, very professional. You really did capture Rob´s tone here. I totally enjoyed it. I am familiar with the original and the "ahh" highs in the chorus caught me, they seemed a little low in pitch. Ok, i know you said you sang a tone lower so you did nothing wrong but to me it sounded a little strange. Also, maybe i would have preferred a little faster vibrato sometimes. Very impressive that you made this in one take, great job Thano.

Thanks Olem, saying that it sounds professional means a lot.

Not too sure about capturing Rob's tone, the only times I have were before my alarm clock rung lol!

About the highs in the chorus, they do sound a little low in pitch, in fact a big part of this performance is flat (so I've been told, I've got issues with the identification of pitch)

but, one thing I would like to mention is that the kind of grit that I use is rattle and instead of pushing more I hold back ; hence, it sounds

like I'm not singing as high. Had I used neutral/curbing without the rattle, they would have sounded closer to the original.

Thanks again man, I appreciate your input!

Thanos

About the highs in the chorus, they do sound a little low in pitch, in fact a big part of this performance is flat (so I've been told, I've got issues with the identification of pitch)

but, one thing I would like to mention is that the kind of grit that I use is rattle and instead of pushing more I hold back ; hence, it sounds

like I'm not singing as high. Had I used neutral/curbing without the rattle, they would have sounded closer to the original.

Thanks again man, I appreciate your input!

Thanos

Yeah, i think you are right about that, the rattle thing. It sounded very cool by the way but i had Judas version as a reference that´s why it caught me. But, hey, you made your own version and it sounded bloody great :)

• 4 weeks later...