Kamelot - Sailorman's Hymn

• TMV World Legacy Member

I'm looking for some help on singing higher notes without the strain. Besides the verse, this song is entirely out of my "comfortable" range. I have heard many times that it is important to keep a neutral larynx but I can't hit any note relatively high by keeping it low. An example would be at :57 of this video. Also, if I sing in this range or higher for too long, my voice starts to crack and I can't hold the notes.. Any help is very much appreciated.

The answers you seek exist in many posts in this forum - I won't get into that 'cause other people will chime in who can explain what to do much better than I can.

What I wanted to say is that you have a very beautiful voice and your guitar playing skills are to be admired, really.

Great to have you in this forum,

Thanos

Excellent job on editing the video. And the music sounds well mixed, too.How are you able to synchronize you playing different instruments and have them in the video, playing the right thing in perfect timing. Do you shoot a separate full length video at each instrument and then cut and paste between them? Neat visual trick.

As for the voice, you sound a lot like David Bowie. So, lower the song 1/2 step.

Nice job. Great production all around. Nice mix, nice guitar tones - excellent guitar technique! On the high notes - you are experiencing strain above E4. This is a universal area of difficulty (no matter what voice type) and requires some adjustment in your vocal tract to align the formants with the harmonics of the pitch. Some people can do this naturally, but most of us have to learn how to sing in this area. It's called vowel modification. You will also need to start thinning the vocal folds. It is natural to carry up the "thick fold" configuration that we use in Chest voice, but the folds have to start thinning as we progress above E4. Be careful, because the straining you are experiencing can be harmful. By the way, if you want, you can learn how to sing the entire Tenor range (up to C5), and put an additional octave on top of that (soprano range C6). It's hard to teach this in text, you should get a teacher or buy an instructional DVD so you can see someone demonstrate these techniques. Here is a link to one of our forum members with videos that show how. This can get you started:

http://www.vocalpower.co.uk/Videos.php

you have a great voice, first of all. Great video and song. for your straining problem, try taking in real deep breaths before those high notes, and when you breath in imagine yawning, you want to open the back of your throat the way you do when you yawn, so my advice is to try and take deep yawn like breaths before your high note parts. I wouldn't be able to get through my high notes without deep breathing. ;) hope that helps! and again, beautiful job :)

doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. -Albert Einstein's definition of insanity.

Me on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/livvy614

This was really cool. I noticed you are playing an Agile guitar, too. As low priced as they are, you would expect crap, but they are exceptionally well made.

I've never been skydiving, but I've zoomed in on Google Earth really, really fast.

Thanks for help!

Do you shoot a separate full length video at each instrument and then cut and paste between them?

I just had the camera going while I recorded into Logic 9. I edited the video together after I finished the song.

This was really cool. I noticed you are playing an Agile guitar, too. As low priced as they are, you would expect crap, but they are exceptionally well made.

Yeah man, Agile seems to be the only company out there that makes reasonably priced guitars with all the features I want. It's also one of the few companies out there with a wide variety of extended range guitars.

Micah,

you have an epic voice dude(at least for my personal taste) and your your phrasing is excellent! Once you get the technique worked out, you're top end will be scary.

Out of curiosity, what is your training/background(if any) in voice?

Micah,

you have an epic voice dude(at least for my personal taste) and your your phrasing is excellent! Once you get the technique worked out, you're top end will be scary.

Out of curiosity, what is your training/background(if any) in voice?

Thanks! As far as vocals go, I have no training.

Archived