Gamma Ray cover

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey!

This time I post a cover of the German metallers from Gamma Ray. If you don't know them, and you are a fan of bands such as Helloween or Judas Priest, you should check them out. The singing guitarist Kai Hansen is often refered to as "the father of Power Metal", as he is also the founder and writer of many great songs of Helloween.

Anyway, here's my attempt at "One with the World" (from the album "Blast from the Past", there's also a version from "Sigh no More" album with Ralf Scheepers on vocals").

http://www.box.net/s/47g9yepbz5bc29cdkgf3

I'm in one channel, the original track is in the other, so if you shift the balance on your speakers you will be able to hear just my vocals.

Please critique anything that you don't like about my performance.

Anyone has any suggestions concerning the high screams at 3:47 and 4:28? When you compare them to Hansens, mine sounds like sh|t :) His sound just so efortless... Is he a tenor?

Take Care!!

Awesome. Wish I had that range! Your screams sound great - you just need to realize that Kai has a rack full of effects on his voice, and it doesn't sound like you used any - except maybe some EQ.

www.drop-head.com

Absolutely astonishing, DJ. You have the voice for this type of music.

The singer for Iced Earth is leaving the band because they are getting better known and going on world tours. Seriously, dude, send this to them as an audition track. I am not kidding.

Yeah, I know, I must seem like the cheerleader of the forum, always giving high 5's to those who post. If you look through all the posts (a daunting process, at best) you will see places where I pull no punches and get straight to the point. I think it scared off the one poster who thought he sounded like Steven Tyler. Point being, I mean what say and say what I mean. I have no critique for this. It's really good. Recording wise, I would have preferred to have the channels mixed just a little. Music 70 % left, 30 % right. Vocals 70 % right, 30 % left. However, doing this really isolated your voice. I like how you did the high parts as backing vocals. Way cool.

So quit fiddling around and get your voice out to a band, or start your own. Like I said, Iced Earth is looking for a singer, now. And your voice fits their stuff. Granted, you will have to do some of their cover songs, like "Highway to Hell," but I think you could do it, in your way, which is magical.

"Melancholy" by Iced Earth

Metal lives. Bless Lady Gaga, bless Justin Bieber, bless Michael Buble. But Metal lives.

And always will.

Hey guys, thank you so much for these words, God knows I'm doing my best!

Ron, that's a big thing for me that someone may even consider me applying for a job in Iced Earth:) But it won't happen, they've already hired a great singer, even before Matt Barlow left the band. The new one is called Stu Block and is a complete vocalist, it seems he can do just anything with his voice. Check out their new album "Dystopia", where you can hear Stu singing.

It's funny you suggest me setting up a band and you paste that link in the same post - see, I already have a band, we're in the process of mixing our album just now, and the picture you can see on this youtube link that you've posted is an artwork by Kamil Pietruczynik, an artist from Poland and an Iced Earth fan, who also did the cover for our album which I hereby present:)

Thanks guys:)

Jugulator: sure, I sometimes practice with "Crucible" and "Painkiller" albums. I love his voice! Still I'm more of a Ripper-oriented Priest fan:)

Please cover some Hybria! Like Tiger Punch, or Steel Lord on Wheels.

www.drop-head.com

Archived