Journey - Seperate Ways Cover :)

• TMV World Legacy Member

That was my old-area recording. i think it is not bad. I took a few recording 1 month ago with better mix and better technique. But I didn't want to upload it. I'll upload after take some reviews from this recording.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZTC70QAU1g

Here is my opinion for what it's worth :) It sounds to me as if you can hit the notes, you just don't know what to do with them; if that makes any sense. From what I heard you have the range and I think you could actually sing this song but it sounds like you aren't singing in "your" voice. It sounds like a put on voice. I think that is what is making it go off pitch so much, which to my ears at least, it is. The melody line sounds all screwed up. I think the instrument is intact but instruction in playing it is needed. :)

Sounds pretty good. It sounds like your struggling quite a bit up high. Your vibrato and pitch is all over the place - you need significantly more control in the high registers. But your tone is very good and you've got a good balance. And your sense of the genre is fine.

You have the same problem that 99% of people who learn to sing high notes and then make an attempt at a Journey song have. Your larynx is too high and your vowels are not modified.

Steve Perry extensively modified his vocal tract to get the powerful sound that you hear. Some even say that he did it to the point that the lyrics become difficult to understand at times. You cannot sing Journey with a high larynx and with vowels the way that they are placed forward. You have to have darker vowels and a low larynx to get a big powerful tone.

I would check out Rob's recent video on dampening the larynx if I were you.

http://themodernvocalist.punbb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?id=4881

Ok, calm down, :) It is not a simple song. i still work on it and it is the first attemp to sing this song for me. I agree one important think, you said "very pronounced focus upward".

But totally, I think you exaggerate a little. I take into consideration all of it. Thanks for comment.

Well, you asked for some reviews. And got them. It's not always applause. Trust me, I know. Sometimes, I have recorded a song that I was pleased with and simply u/l it to my profile page on the main site, not putting it in here for criticism and review. But other times, yeah, I want applause. We all do.

You could have very well clipped the mic, I'm not sure but the high parts did sound pinched. A little factoid for you. Any analog signal, such as your voice, loses approximately 50 % of the information going into a digital format, such as our computers and USB devices. So, really, just about any analog signal is going to require some compressor. But that compressor will produce it's own artifacts, as well. Exchanging the dynamics of volume for the an apparent change in intensity.

So, it would be hard for me to review your singing because I think I'm not hearing it correctly due to whatever mixing strategy you were using or because of what was not used. Looking forward to a better mixed recording.

And I, by the way, am king of the crappy mix. So, we're in the same boat.