March Singing Snippets

• TMV World Legacy Member

I'm on a quest to become a good singer. I've been on this quest for a few months now. To track my progress, I'm going to be posting singing snippets for various indie songs... so me, singing over other peoples songs! This way, I'll be able to look back and see where I need improvement and whether or not I am actually making improvement. But the biggest part and importance of all of this, is that it's fun. I have tonsa fun singing over other peoples songs and working on my craft.

What I'm about to post is a huge leap up from any songs I've recording in the past. Hearing songs I recorded months ago and then hearing this is just plain and simply awesome because I can actually hear the improvement... Here are my singing snippets for March, 2013:

The last snippet is my personal favorite. :)

The very last snippet sounded pitchy, to me.

However, second to last, that one I liked best. A good match of song and voice. The earlier snippets, you are changing the vowel too much in one word, creating or highlighting a dipthong (changing vowel sound in a word or phrase.) Take the first part of the vowel sound and stick with that and leave the vowel change at the last to die from lack of attention. This will help your tuning.

But I like the sound of your voice and I think you have made some good progress. Breath support sounds good. And when you are settled on a vowel, pitch is good, too.

Articulation is also good.

Second to last snippet, I would like to hear a full cover. You did well on that one, so keep doing whatever it was you did in that one.

agree with ron, second to last was also my favourite. It was the least pitchy.

Have a go at taking all the consonants out the song and just sing a phrase on the vowel sound. That way you can really working on the vowels

Sounds like you're doing well though, keep going :)

Professional vocalist in Devon, England. Here's the link to my website: [url=http://www.ginaellenvocalist.co.uk/]professional vocalist in Devon[/url]
[url=https://soundcloud.com/gina-ellen]My soundcloud[/url]

thanks guys, I appreciate all the feedback and I will continue to work hard and improve with time! :D

edit: to me it sounds like mostly all of these are sliiiightly off pitch at times. Does anyone else hear it too? Before, my biggest problem was that i couldn't sing on pitch at all..I've gotten better in the pitch aspect but still... Things still sound a bit off pitch to me at times. Is this something that will get better or correct itself over time? Or are there exercises to help correct this little pitch problem?

And in your opinion, do all of the recordings sound slightly off pitch all the way through, or is it just when I say certain words? If I could get an answer regarding this question it would seriously mean a lot to me! :)

The difference between before and now is tremendous. Yes you are still going off pitch. The fact that you can tell that you are off pitch is what has made the difference. You will continue to get better. ;)

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

The difference between before and now is tremendous. Yes you are still going off pitch. The fact that you can tell that you are off pitch is what has made the difference. You will continue to get better. ;)

Thanks MDEW, to me some parts seem on pitch and some words or sentences seem off aswell. Do you hear it this way too? Or is it more so EVERYTHING sounds off pitch?

Thanks for all the feedback thus far.:cool:

Actually, a number of people, including myself, go off pitch in the higher parts of the range. Usually a result of wrong vowel shape or weak support, sometimes both.

It sounds completely pitchy from start to finish. Hold the support more and constantly push down on the diaphragm.

I don't know how you sounded before but this isn't good at all -- not yet. If you have improved then you will reach your goal. Again practice, build and apply a lot more support. It will help with pitch a lot.

Cheers,

David.

It sounds completely pitchy from start to finish. Hold the support more and constantly push down on the diaphragm.

I don't know how you sounded before but this isn't good at all -- not yet. If you have improved then you will reach your goal. Again practice, build and apply a lot more support. It will help with pitch a lot.

Hi David, I've only been singing for a few months now but yes... I can deff. hear improvement from previous recordings. It's pretty sad hearing someone say "This isn't good at all". But I agree, it doesn't sound too great. With that being said, I do think there are parts that show potential and also this is a step up from previous recordings in the past. At the moment, I am not that great at all at singing, but I realize where I need to improve and how I'm going to do it! Hard work pays off and so far I think it has been paying off for me because I was 10x shitter months ago than I am now. Thanks for the constructive criticism Dave.

And here is my e-mail, ianhorstb@gmail.com Please send me an e-mail, It would be awesome to talk to you. :)

You are very welcome.. I know it's hard to hear negative comments from others, especially when it comes to a passion that one has... But I feel it is necessary.. Of course, I am NOT trying to sound like an ASS , but trying to erase all aspects of fantasy from a post, by relaying what " I " hear and feel about a performance.. THIS is only my opinion of course..

Do you have potential? I believe you do.. You have a nice quality to your vocal tone, but it is merely the "support" and slamming of the constants that is limiting your performance thus far..

IF you work on that, and really get a great grasp on the breath and supporting from the diaphragm, I think you will rock it out -- Your pitch will be online, the dramatic nuances will be intact (because it won't be interfered with breath (lack of), though out, etc.. etc....

I am NOT trying to discourage you bud... I too started off Pitchy (WAY MORE then you), when I first started

Cheers,

David.