Iris/Goo Goo Dolls

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey all,

I recorded this awhile back(based on the posts by Felipe and Owen) when I did Cochise. At the time, I thought I would re-do/tweak some stuff...but well....I've lost the motivation to be honest. So here it is. Also, this karaoke version is LONG, so you can skip from 2:00-3:25 where I vamp a little at the end(I still had Cochise stuck in my head :P )

https://www.box.com/s/clshaalvjuakh7yknunb

Cool. Great version, definitely better than mine.

Only noticed a couple things. It would be better to hold on the word "world" and connect it with the rest of the line, to keep the legato. In general, like Ron was telling me, legato is key in this chorus...connect it all together. Also, some of the quick words, particularly the "to"s are mysteriously disappearing...keep it all a consistent volume. I would also suggest you use some more twang in the mid-range - around D4-F#4, it sounded a little too dark and muffled at times.

Absolutely awesome riffing on the last chorus.

That was awesome. I like it when a singer puts his own stamp on a song.

These covers inspire me and makes me depressed all at the same time. You guys make it sound so easy and singable. Then I am inspired to try it again. Last time I sang it I ended up singing just the high notes over and over for about an hour. I did not like what I heard.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Very nice! I like the tone that you used. I have to agree with MDEW about the inspiration/frustration duality. You guys really make it sound effortless. Despite that, I have to take it as some kind of chalenge in order to improve myself. So, inspired by Felipe, Owen, Analog, and MDEW I choose this song too as my first chalenge to learn, record, and post here. Now the question is how long will it take me to do that. ;)

These covers inspire me and makes me depressed all at the same time. You guys make it sound so easy and singable. Then I am inspired to try it again. Last time I sang it I ended up singing just the high notes over and over for about an hour. I did not like what I heard.

Were you tweaking things within that hour? Repetition is great if you like what you hear but if not, you should be experimenting until you like what you hear.

If you post a rough file of yourself trying to sing the chorus (in a new thread of course) we can help you out.

Were you tweaking things within that hour? Repetition is great if you like what you hear but if not, you should be experimenting until you like what you hear.

If you post a rough file of yourself trying to sing the chorus (in a new thread of course) we can help you out.

I was definately tweeking. I did find a sound that I liked, but it did not blend well with this song. I hope to get an opportunity to record this and get some feedback.

Hey all....thanks so much for the replies. They are much appreciated!!!

Owen, I was trying to change it up a bit from the original, so I subbed some different vowels/melodies, but I get where you're coming from...it's different for sure/more like a live version.

I only had a couple minutes but here's a very rough take I did on the 1st/2nd chorus with vowels and phrasing closer to the original. Maybe that's more what you're thinking?

Let me know what y'all think.

EDIT TO ADD

****Had technical problem and file got deleted and I'm losing patience trying to get it back, so it's gone for now***

I'll record another similar version...maybe...irritated right now :mad:

Hey all....thanks so much for the replies. They are much appreciated!!!

Owen, I was trying to change it up a bit from the original, so I subbed some different vowels/melodies, but I get where you're coming from...it's different for sure/more like a live version.

I only had a couple minutes but here's a very rough take I did on the 1st/2nd chorus with vowels and phrasing closer to the original. Maybe that's more what you're thinking?

Let me know what y'all think.

UPDATED CLOSER TO ORIGINAL VERSION:

https://www.box.com/s/450o3cmpcu5nkro5ojt6

Kind of...Im not sure which I like better now. Maybe somewhere in the middle? Maybe the pitch and timing of yours and the articulation and tone of the one closer to the original.

I don't know...I probably being too nitpicky. Go with what you think sounds best.

Second link is disabled. I probably would have said I liked the Chris Cornell version better, anyway. Always go with your instincts. Do it to please yourself, not me, or any other armchair expert.

Just so happens I liked your Cornell - ish take on this.

Second link is disabled. I probably would have said I liked the Chris Cornell version better, anyway. Always go with your instincts. Do it to please yourself, not me, or any other armchair expert.

Just so happens I liked your Cornell - ish take on this.

Well I had a problem with Box where it replaced the file and I had deleted a bunch of files on my computer and then cursing ensued and now I'm over it! Getting crotchety in my old age :P

I definitely enjoyed the "vibe" of the original take...felt more like me than a carbon copy so I dig it. Johnny has this great whisper-y thing going up high that I'll never have.. so I try to stick with what works for me :D I might like to tweak a line or two, but overall, gonna keep the bulk of the original take.

And thank you very much for your input! I completely agree about the instincts and that's why I like critiques because if I'm having doubts about a line here or there and someone else picks up on it, just helps to motivate me to get off my butt and fix the thing I thought should be fixed in the first place(if that made sense?)

But I'm definitely all about turning yourself on. And no that's not a reference to Manuela(as my Mexican brothers would say)...ha.

Think your crotchety now? Give it a few years. :lol:

However, I try to take the edge of my crotchety with coffee and ibuprofen. And Ginko Smart. It's a ginko biloba formula designed to improve brain function and I need all the help I can get. :)

MDEW,

that is a huge compliment. Thank you. I love your posts on this forum. I guess I'm part hillbilly, but you always seem to state things the way they need to be stated(at least for me.) Are you working with anyone right now?

Think your crotchety now? Give it a few years. :lol:

However, I try to take the edge of my crotchety with coffee and ibuprofen. And Ginko Smart. It's a ginko biloba formula designed to improve brain function and I need all the help I can get. :)

Yeah right. Your encyclopedic recall is terrifying. My wife is the same way. Her recall is literally unimaginable to me. I go through life as a half-"mentally challenged" compared to her.

MDEW,

that is a huge compliment. Thank you. I love your posts on this forum. I guess I'm part hillbilly, but you always seem to state things the way they need to be stated(at least for me.) Are you working with anyone right now?

Working on my own. And with everyone on this forum. :D The main things that I have discovered is that all those things that people complained about in my voice over the years is the very things that would have helped me had I not listened to their complaints. :P

Ironic isn't it?

Yeah right. Your encyclopedic recall is terrifying. My wife is the same way. Her recall is literally unimaginable to me. I go through life as a half-"mentally challenged" compared to her.

It's a gift and a curse. Even when I have been drunk, I remember what I did and what happened. From decades ago. I remember being at a New Year's Eve part back in 1982, totally blitzed, and singing an a capella version of "Locomotive Breath" by Jethro Tull.

Even worse than that, I remember being about 4 years old , reclining on the couch while my mother did house work. And a new song came on the radio. Glen Campbell was making a name for himself with "Wichita Lineman." I think my mom was wearing pink shorts and white blouse but I could be mistaken. But I have my limits.

I was an infant when the Beatles came to America, so I don't recall seeing their first appearance on the Ed Sullivan show but I saw it in re-runs.

I remember when "My Sweet Lord" came out. My first step-father, a sailor in the Navy, was doing his active combat tour for Viet Nam aboard a destroyer. Finished his active combat tour about 1969. Then was transferred to the USS Ogden at the port of Los Angeles. And then that ship was transferred to the port of San Diego, so we moved with it. "Brandy" by Looking Glass was huge. Also, "25 or 6 to 4" by the Chicago Transit Authority. "Hush" by Deep Purple.

1977, I was in the Boy Scouts. We were camping at a lake and someone had a radio. And there was this brash group from Australia singing about the highway to Hell.

Wow. I was just about to post a recording of this as there seemed to be a thread going but having listened to yours I think it should be left at that.

Personally I wouldn't pick any faults with that recording -you have a great quality to your voice and were able to put your own voice to the song. Your Cochise cover was also exceptional and you could certainly hold your own on a professional basis.

Well done sir.

Wow. I was just about to post a recording of this as there seemed to be a thread going but having listened to yours I think it should be left at that.

Personally I wouldn't pick any faults with that recording -you have a great quality to your voice and were able to put your own voice to the song. Your Cochise cover was also exceptional and you could certainly hold your own on a professional basis.

Well done sir.

Hell no man. Post it. I've been singing forever but that doesn't mean shit artistically. This is a place to learn and grow and maybe you do something cool with this song that I would have never thought of or maybe it inspires someone else or helps them out. Post it for sure!

dude, you're cool!

Thanks man.

Great singing, analog! Loved the notes at the end of the chorus, very original! :)

Hey, missed this earlier. Thanks a lot brother. I'm certainly a fan of your singing so this means a lot!