I'm learning the classical style. Here is my first recital.

• TMV World Legacy Member

I recorded it with my cell phone. There is about 1 minute blank at the beginning. So please be patient.

I would like you to critique on: my technique, breath support.

I know I used head voice, but my voice sounds thin, almost like no training, or no technique. It doesn't sound like one of those opera singers. So what's lacking? breath support? resonance?

If you can tell, was I singing at the right position?

Any other comments are welcome and appreciated!

https://www.box.com/s/iajcmqrdepj1llrw5xed

Zoe

Welcome to TMV, Zoelee. You sound just fine to me, so I can't offer any singing advice ... but this isn't my genre, but I am mostly a rock and musical theatre singer!

Your recording was poor though. If you only have access to a phone, at least put it close to you. You picked up a lot of audience noise - I think you had it amongst the audience maybe?, and because it was a distance from you there was quite a lot of room reverb.

I did a few minutes of editing on your track:

* chopping off space at start and end

* reducing applause noise, as it was much louder than the music.

* adjusting overall level and compressing it a little.

My edited version:

https://www.box.com/s/ih6dk35xx4zovto6a22x

You could learn how to do this yourself with some audio editing software, such as Audacity (free). I use Adobe Audition.

George

George can often be found playing electric stringy things, and singing... [url=https://soundcloud.com/george-williams-8]and then this happens[/url]

Hi Zoe

Now firstly I will say i'm no professional however I love classical music. Your dictation was quite eloquent firstly and foremost making the piece enjoyable :)

I feel that it is simply your needing to practice more, singing in an opera style can take so long. The voice doesn't sound thin to me but quite strong and direct which is pleasant to listen to. Are you a soprano or a mezzo soprano? Could you be singing in the vocal fach? (not saying you are just asking)

Altogether I think that it was quite a pretty piece and you should be very happy with it, remember that opera singers voices take ages to develop :)

^.^ Jaxon

It is very, very good.

Not sounding exactly like the opera singers is coming some from not have quite as good of support (Takes many years to get very good for this style) and part of it is from your throat configuration. You need the whole body a little bit more engaged to get a fuller sound. Your sound is more full than 99% of female singers that get paid to sing in this world.

I can't help you too much as I do not know as much about the female voice. I can tell you that you very good and with refining can be even better.

Thanks guitargeorge for taking time to edit my file. I'm planning on setting up a small and cheap home recording studio. So I can record more. Your tips will definitely be handy.

jaxxie, ConsumingFire, thanks so much for the encouragement.

ConsumingFire, you mentioned throat configuration. I assume this refers to my technique, rather than how my throat is anatomically. This is what I'm trying to get feedback on. I heard a lot of things in this regard: "the facial mask techinque", "make your sound vertical", "sing from your forehead", etc. I have to say I'm not quite getting them. But what you said about having the full body engaged, and support, I assume they are talking about the same thing. It's the whole diaphragm thing isn't it? ;)

I'm a petite woman, 5 feet, 97 lbs. Does this matter at all?

To Lord_Adon, I didn't feel like stretching when reaching those high notes, but it might sound that way. I once hit D flat when doing the warm up exercise. I'm hoping once I can support my voice better, they will sound a bit effortless.

Thanks guys/gals again!

Thanks guitargeorge for taking time to edit my file. I'm planning on setting up a small and cheap home recording studio. So I can record more. Your tips will definitely be handy.

jaxxie, ConsumingFire, thanks so much for the encouragement.

ConsumingFire, you mentioned throat configuration. I assume this refers to my technique, rather than how my throat is anatomically. This is what I'm trying to get feedback on. I heard a lot of things in this regard: "the facial mask techinque", "make your sound vertical", "sing from your forehead", etc. I have to say I'm not quite getting them. But what you said about having the full body engaged, and support, I assume they are talking about the same thing. It's the whole diaphragm thing isn't it? ;)

I'm a petite woman, 5 feet, 97 lbs. Does this matter at all?

To Lord_Adon, I didn't feel like stretching when reaching those high notes, but it might sound that way. I once hit D flat when doing the warm up exercise. I'm hoping once I can support my voice better, they will sound a bit effortless.

Thanks guys/gals again!

No, your size doesn't matter at all. Yes I am talking about the technique and not the anatomical design of your throat and yes I am talking about the diaphragm.

Take a look at this master class. You might be able to find some things that really help you from a very good technical teacher.

thanks consumingFire. I feel better, because support is something I can get better through practice. But I cannot change my size or how my throat is anatomically.

My employer blocks youtube. I'll have to view the video from home. Thanks again for your input.