(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher/Jackie Wilson

• TMV World Legacy Member

Jackie one of my top singers so hope I do the song justice...it's one of my all time favorites. Tried to keep the raw "live" vibe. Any and all comments appreciated as always.

https://app.box.com/s/lguobrb99tdt3tk0aip6

I loved this song when I heard Rita Coolidge singing it. But when I head Jackie Wilson I was blown away.

Analog, I got he same feeling listening to you. Awesome. :)

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Like it does for MDEW, this song brings back memories for me.

Well done, John. Even though I am a "singer," I wouldn't mind at all being a band backing you on this, just to see and hear you sing it in person. I can play guitar. I could probably fake bass guitar. Tambourine, yeah, I could do that. Heck, my career is being an electrician. I'll just be the gaffer on the roadie crew.

Excellent!! What I really appreciate is the feel and rhythmic phrasing. It goes way beyond tone and technique. We can all learn technique and tone and soft pallet this and twang that. But the kind of rhythm and feel you've got on this is kind of hard to teach. It is style. How do you teach that? You've done it very very well. Nice falsetto too!

John - I don't think I've heard anything by you that I didn't think was excellent. You've done it again here so very well done sir.

Nice to hear a bit of soul on here too. I'm thinking of having a stab at A Change Is Gonna Come or a different soul number so this is a nice bit of inspiration I need.

Liam

You know, Elwin, if you are going to do Change is Gonna Come, you should hear the cover done by our Admin, Bob. You'll probably have to search for it, it's a few years old. Bob has a nice "Sam Cooke" sound to his voice.

Hey guys,

thanks so much for the support. This song has always made me feel so damn happy! I mean, sweet jesus, look at Jackie here:

and...WHAT THE (*auto edit*) IS HE WEARING??? Looks like a damn toddler jumper.

Funniest shit ever!

Being a big Rita Coolidge fan, I've probably heard her cover of this more than the Jackie Wilson version, but man, this was just superb. Although it is a very subjective term, this oozed unbridled "soul", which made listening to it all the more fun.

I've never been skydiving, but I've zoomed in on Google Earth really, really fast.

Being a big Rita Coolidge fan, I've probably heard her cover of this more than the Jackie Wilson version, but man, this was just superb. Although it is a very subjective term, this oozed unbridled "soul", which made listening to it all the more fun.

Thanks Validar. Yeah....Rita's version was certainly the popular radio version when I was a kid. Talk about artistic interpretation. Almost unrecognizable from Jackie's but great nonetheless.

I'd wear one of those jumper suits if it meant I could sing like that :lol:

I would too if I could move like that. I get tired watching him :P

....What I really appreciate is the feel and rhythmic phrasing....

Geno, I played trumpet for so many years that I always think like a trumpet player. I mean, haven't really played the trumpet in close to 20 years, but my brain still works like an instrumentalist. For instance, if somebody starts talking about singing an A4, my mind immediately imagines the trumpet fingerings for an A4. Weird.

Do you think that being a trumpet player has helped you with singing? Some think that trumpet playing somehow is transferable to singing.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Do you think that being a trumpet player has helped you with singing? Some think that trumpet playing somehow is transferable to singing.

Yeah...it taught me to be loud and obnoxious :lol: But honestly, spending 8 hours a day practicing trumpet...for years on end, transcribing tunes, listening non-stop to my idols....all of these made me a musician...first and foremost.

But, with that said.....don't think it helped me at all from a "technical" perspective...vocally speaking. I still did just about everything wrong that I possibly could...ha.

Geno, I played trumpet for so many years that I always think like a trumpet player. I mean, haven't really played the trumpet in close to 20 years, but my brain still works like an instrumentalist. For instance, if somebody starts talking about singing an A4, my mind immediately imagines the trumpet fingerings for an A4. Weird.

And I think of a guitar, 1st string, 5th fret. So, we should be weird, in the same vein.

As for the jumper, I wear one. It doesn't help my singing. I just like giving people a disturbing image. :lol:

Although, one of my most enjoyable performances was at a friend's large-ish New Year's Eve party. I had hair halfway down my back and a New Year's derby on. I had the Ronnie Van Zandt look going on. A local musician of some repute, Josh, plays tenor sax and he showed up. We played the only version I know of "Freebird" with a tenor sax for the solo. And I was singing. I guess you had to be there.

Fantastic. One of the most perfect recordings I've heard on this forum. And this is you just going for a "live vibe"...damn...

Reward yourself for singing it this well.

Makes me wonder, what, approximately is your natural vocal fach? With your voice for some reason I get this sense that you are a baritone that has trained to get up really high. It has a boominess to it lacking in a lot of tenors.

Makes me wonder, what, approximately is your natural vocal fach? With your voice for some reason I get this sense that you are a baritone that has trained to get up really high. It has a boominess to it lacking in a lot of tenors.

Thanks Owen.

No idea what fach I am, but certainly always assumed I was a baritone. I had/have an incredibly boomy/dark voice "naturally", but not necessarily deep. I'm known professionally as a bariton-ish guy for sure...but after years and years and years of training, fachs are meaningless to me.

I'm known professionally as a bariton-ish guy for sure...but after years and years and years of training, fachs are meaningless to me.

And so, enlightenment ensues. Become one with the Jens ......

(darn it, if I had not given away all of my tie-dye garments ....)