"Painkiller" 2013 edition

• TMV World Legacy Member

Ok, here it is again. A year ago since my last practise of this song. I still have alot of work to do but i think i have made some progress. Any critique is welcome.

And here a different kind of mix as suggested by Chavie:

I made another version yesterday 20130822 where i practised the choruses and the phrase "faster than a lazer bullet...." where i could hit the A5 for the first time with a compressed note. Also i did the long note in the end:

As always - any critique is welcome

I could not sing this if i tried.

This song is insane.....

I think the lowest note during the verses is like B4 lol...

Only thing i can critique is maybe the voice track being slightly louder then it should

Halford also used a lot more verb and delay... your take was rather dry in comparison

Awesome take man!!!

www.soundclick.com/chavie

I could not sing this if i tried.

This song is insane.....

I think the lowest note during the verses is like B4 lol...

Only thing i can critique is maybe the voice track being slightly louder then it should

Halford also used a lot more verb and delay... your take was rather dry in comparison

Awesome take man!!!

Yes, it is insane, hahhaha and the verses goes from B4 up to D5 but actually i think this is easier to sing than going from G4 to B4 for example. I think you are right about the mixing here i will try that. For your interest this performance is not made in one take, i can´t sing it in one take like this, it is very fatiguing. Sooner or later i totally crack, mostly when i reach the phrase "cromium plated...) and most certainly when i reach the insane high note in "Suuuuuuuuuuuuuunn" an A5 i think. Thanx for listening Chavie.

I kinda preferred the first mix better. Aesthetic choice.

Good stuff, Olem.

Ich habe das gern.

Yo tengo much gusto para su musica "metal."

I liked it.

(I would have thought of other phrase but tonight my brain seems limited to german, spanish, and english.)

• 4 weeks later...

You're gonna drive me nuts.... you're singing Painkiller in full voice ? With grit ?

There's no way I can produce that kind of vocal weight up there...

I like your approach very much although I must admit, I do prefer this song in head voice.

Sounds like you could nail a Dio song.

Thanx for listening, Igor and Thanos! Igor: I am not quite sure i know what u mean. Could you please elaborate that? Thanos: Well, i am not 100 % sure what i am doing. I think i use some kind of mix, but i can imagine that my chest configuration dominates. All i know is that it is very fatiguing.

By the way, i know some says that Halford sings this in falsetto/thin head voice with some grit making it sound fuller. Well, to me it sounds like a mix of head and chest.

This new take you have just done is insane Olem. congrats!! what can you say to thins brutal power.

My only criticism is that i'm not sure if i didn't know the song as well would I have any idea what the words are are from your version? I think (not even close to being sure) that it could be to do with how much weight you bring up from chest which in many ways i like more but at times sounds like a bit of a struggle. With Halford it just seems to sit up there with not as much bottom end but a ton of resonance.

But it is Halford after all.

I too second a request for a Dio track Olem. i think you would sounds awesome on it :cool:

Jonathan

[url]https://soundcloud.com/jonathan-graham1-0[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/user/JonathanGrahamTUF[/url]
[url]www.facebook.com/theunnamedfaces[/url]
[url]http://www.themodernvocalist.com/profile/JonathanGraham[/url]

My take is that in the studio they tend to record endless takes (same with Ripper who claimed to be so) and add to that the fact that he was at his prime vocally, it does sound like a weird mix of head/chest. Live however, it has always been head/thin+rasp/twang.

Anyhow, your version does sound brutal man

Thanx for listening, Jonathan! Yeah, it is a bit of a struggle and i think you are absolutely right, My next project would be a Dio song that is for sure :). Igor: I am pretty much a layman when it comes to mixing/vocal processing. In this song i have added delay and compression but i would like to learn more. Maybe you could give me some tips because i think your recordings sound awesome. I would appreciate that alot.