Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

• TMV World Legacy Member

I think i sound ok so i decided to upload it. First time recording, mixing and editing so sorry if sound has inconsistencies. Couldn't add a proper reverb so i left them simple. Theres also the "dry vocals" in case mixing is too bad for you or you want to hear vocals only...

Tell me what you think!

https://soundcloud.com/singingnewbie/iron-maiden-wasted-years-vocal-cover

You did sound okay. The link for the full cover doesn't work so I went to your soundcloud page and found just the dry vocal.

(remember, my ears sometimes fail me) At 2:16, "don't" starts a little sharp. Later, in the last chorus, "years" floated a little sharp, at least in reference to the general line you had. Just purely technical things I might not have caught in the context of a full recording.

I've gone sharp a few times, myself. And flat. I cringe when I listened to my recording experiment with "Closer to the Heart" by RUSH. I ask myself, ron, don't you remember the song?" My pitch was all over the place in that but everyone was polite. I used to sing it a lot but evidently forgot how. :lol:

But you have good tone for this and I liked what you did. I look forward to hearing the full production, whenever you are ready.

You did well, but here is my critique:

Some notes are flat.

On phrases like 0:17 you need to make sure you don't lose any power, don't want a 'reaching' kind of sound.

also, watch out for the breaks ;)

Bay, come on, i think i sound ok to post the cover, its listenable, it probably won't be some kind of torture, not pleasure either. I do need and would like to hear any critique to sound great, not ok.

Ron i tried to upload the karaoke track mixed with my vocals about 4 times but it reaches 100% and then say "Ooops couldn't upload the track!". I will try again but to be honest the vocals only sounds better to me, i obviously need to dig into Audacity.

The part "don't waste" you mention was a failed try to change the melodic line to a more powerful one but i didn't hit the right note. I actually thought i was spot on... :mad: and the "years" was also fail to add power, maybe should be more conservative and stick to original melodic line.

Adoney i didn't understand what you mean for the phrase and the 'reaching' sound. About the breaks, yes i haven't stabilized my highs.

Thanks!

Well, if it's gonna be Iron Maiden, you should sound much thicker. I mean pulling more chest and adding some thick rasp. Your tone isn't bad, but it is more suitable to cover something like Dream theater or Sonata Arctica.

Yes i find it hard to make a Dickinson sound and to be honest i am the opposite of him, he has almost natural rasp and most important a full voice while i had a bit hard time adding tone and rasp to mine. Also great suggestion on what i should cover according to my voice.

When i have the chance i'll give it a try again with a more powerful approach.

Edit: I just saw an e-mail from soundcloud about copyright stuff

Our automatic content protection system has detected that your sound "Iron Maiden - Wasted Years Cover" may contain the following copyright content: "Wasted Years" by Iron Maiden, owned by Sanctuary. As a result, its publication on your profile has been blocked. Blablabla...

Now thats a huge compliment... come on guys, do i really sound that much like Dickinson? :D

Edit: I just saw an e-mail from soundcloud about copyright stuff

Our automatic content protection system has detected that your sound "Iron Maiden - Wasted Years Cover" may contain the following copyright content: "Wasted Years" by Iron Maiden, owned by Sanctuary. As a result, its publication on your profile has been blocked. Blablabla...

Now thats a huge compliment... come on guys, do i really sound that much like Dickinson? :D

That's a soundcloud system glitch. I have covers of Brian McKnight, Josh Groban, Color Me Badd and Cheap Trick that weren't uploaded because of the same "copyright" reason but that didn't mean I actually sounded like them. Good grief singingnewbie. :rolleyes:

The part "don't waste" you mention was a failed try to change the melodic line to a more powerful one but i didn't hit the right note. I actually thought i was spot on... :mad: and the "years" was also fail to add power, maybe should be more conservative and stick to original melodic line.

Thanks!

As I said, my ears could be wrong.

That's a soundcloud system glitch. I have covers of Brian McKnight, Josh Groban, Color Me Badd and Cheap Trick that weren't uploaded because of the same "copyright" reason but that didn't mean I actually sounded like them. Good grief singingnewbie. :rolleyes:

:o Thanks for ruining my dreams Bay... now thats what i call "mean"

For verily I say unto thee, those who live by the sword shall also die by the sword.

Pride goeth before a fall.

(both from the KJV of the Holy Bible)

Not just words for others but words for myself, as well.

A review that is mostly good with suggestions or observations that may or may not be used, as seen fit. The audience hears what it will hear, from it's own perspective, good or bad.

In another thread about morning voice, someone linked in an interview of Mike Patton in Chile. I suggest listening to the entire interview, not just the suggested marker of 21:55.

In a nutshell, there is Patton the singer. From Mr. Bungle to Faith No More to Mondo Cane and other projects and collaberations. Then there is the private Mr Patton, family man, boring, crazy, inspired, genious, contrarian, respectful and congenial. And he knows none of that matters. Each member of the audience takes away their own meaning, something you cannot always control, no matter what your intention.

In my own experience, there are times when I have recorded something, first and only take in existence, total cold shot and people liked it.

Another time on another song, literally 20 attempts at recording over two days 3rd or 4th full recording having just the phrasing I was looking for, only to have others to say it was too clean and precise.

And all points in between. Usually not agreeing where I was pitchy. They heard it in one place that I could not hear it, yet, in other, I can hear myself go flat and no one caught it. Who's right and who's wrong? Or, both? Is this group of us peers (fellow singers) an "average" audience? Not exactly, though any average audience might contain a few of us "serious" singers. I consider myself a singer but when my wife and I got to see the Fab Four at the Majestic Theater, I was just another fan, though, of course, I knew every song and sang along. Yet, hearing minor details, like an acoustic guitar with one string slightly out of tune. It didn't hurt the performance but it did not escape my attention, either.

In the long run, is it important? Another take might be flawless. Or not. A recording engineer or producer will want a few takes because they know something that not a lot of singers know, strangely enough. You never sing the same way twice.

So, is that what we are doing here? Making studio-perfect recordings? Where the recording and editing is just as much a part of the performance as the actual singing? If that is all we have to hear of you, is it too easy to assume that you have a problem? You get one, maybe two notes that sound a little funny and singing it, again, live in front of people, you might not have those.

I am certainly guilty of less than studio perfect recording and editing. So, I am not slinging arrows of outrageous fortune at anyone, no more than myself.

I think the problem you had with soundcloud is because you mentioned the band name, title and COVER in your title.

You may have also listed it as COVER in the description section.

I never mention the band name or the fact that is a cover. I describe it as being a practice session and have not had problems of that nature.

Soundcloud does not listen to each song and base their denial on whether you sound like the original. It is automated and goes by description or complaints and would not automatically deny your submission otherwise.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

• 2 months later...

For verily I say unto thee, those who live by the sword shall also die by the sword.

Pride goeth before a fall.

(both from the KJV of the Holy Bible)

Not just words for others but words for myself, as well.

A review that is mostly good with suggestions or observations that may or may not be used, as seen fit. The audience hears what it will hear, from it's own perspective, good or bad.

In another thread about morning voice, someone linked in an interview of Mike Patton in Chile. I suggest listening to the entire interview, not just the suggested marker of 21:55.

In a nutshell, there is Patton the singer. From Mr. Bungle to Faith No More to Mondo Cane and other projects and collaberations. Then there is the private Mr Patton, family man, boring, crazy, inspired, genious, contrarian, respectful and congenial. And he knows none of that matters. Each member of the audience takes away their own meaning, something you cannot always control, no matter what your intention.

In my own experience, there are times when I have recorded something, first and only take in existence, total cold shot and people liked it.

Another time on another song, literally 20 attempts at recording over two days 3rd or 4th full recording having just the phrasing I was looking for, only to have others to say it was too clean and precise.

And all points in between. Usually not agreeing where I was pitchy. They heard it in one place that I could not hear it, yet, in other, I can hear myself go flat and no one caught it. Who's right and who's wrong? Or, both? Is this group of us peers (fellow singers) an "average" audience? Not exactly, though any average audience might contain a few of us "serious" singers. I consider myself a singer but when my wife and I got to see the Fab Four at the Majestic Theater, I was just another fan, though, of course, I knew every song and sang along. Yet, hearing minor details, like an acoustic guitar with one string slightly out of tune. It didn't hurt the performance but it did not escape my attention, either.

In the long run, is it important? Another take might be flawless. Or not. A recording engineer or producer will want a few takes because they know something that not a lot of singers know, strangely enough. You never sing the same way twice.

So, is that what we are doing here? Making studio-perfect recordings? Where the recording and editing is just as much a part of the performance as the actual singing? If that is all we have to hear of you, is it too easy to assume that you have a problem? You get one, maybe two notes that sound a little funny and singing it, again, live in front of people, you might not have those.

I am certainly guilty of less than studio perfect recording and editing. So, I am not slinging arrows of outrageous fortune at anyone, no more than myself.

This is why I say, if you, meaning anyone, consider yourself to be a serious singer, even if you are just working on bettering your skills, take the time to make it your best, rather than just recording something quickly, just so you can say you posted. As many people know, I don't critique anyone here. The reason for that is because I am very honest in my opinion, just ask my brother, ronws. There are quite a few here whose singing I like, and quite a few who need a lot of work. And I've noticed people here and there who are very defensive and get their feelings hurt easily when someone gives a Simon Cowell type of review. That's why I say that if you put more effort into your recordings, you might do better. If it takes 20 takes, then so be it.

When I recorded my CD, I guarantee you I did not record a song in one day. I spent 5 years, between recording and mixing. All in all I probably took 2 years just for recording. I would spend weeks on one song. My thought was, if I am going to post my music, my singing publicly, I wanted people to hear my absolute best performance, even if that meant taking extra time to work on it.

I know I will probably get slammed by others for my opinions, but for me, good enough is not good enough. To me, only the wow factor is good enough. I am my own worst critic, and I can't tell how you many times I cringed listening to myself, then re-recording something until it was right.

So all I am really saying is that if you take singing seriously, put everything you have into it.

Official Press Release - 'Book of Shadows' CD for sale now!
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/slstone
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/book-of-shadows/id611487291
http://www.slstonemusic.com
Need music with which to sing along? 50% off All Services November Sale. Sign up now! http://stonecraftmusicstudio.com

Just as I suspected, you have a great voice and know how to use it.

I was about to make a joke like "At last, someone that recognizes the true value of my voice" thinking the user was a spambot (judging by the over the top kind comment) but all i can say, thanks, you're very kind crsluv.

slstone, i have the same opinion about reviewing and critique. I try not to be harsh but to reveal weak parts or stuff that could be better according to what i consider "perfect".

Overall this sounded good, Singingnewbie, nice mixed voice here, great technique. As Jug is saying you could put more effort, more chest in it but it is a stylistic choice and this kind of singing would be more easy to sing live i think. To my ears, but they are not trustworthy :), the chorus sounded a little out of key but i could be wrong.