Any critique would be greatly appreciated! Female, 19, Beatles Cover

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey all! Brand new to TMV, excited to be here. I'm 19 (literally just turned it yesterday), and I've been having professional vocal training since 2007 (with the exception of this year and half of last year) but I've been singing for as long as I can remember. I was initially trained classically, and then did a few years of jazz, musical theatre, and pop. I've had four different vocal tutors. My passion lies in musical theatre predominantly but I also like pop.

The audio here is echoey and poor, but hopefully you can get a good indication of my voice. I have had several accomplishments (one of the youngest people to attend the New Zealand National Singing School, semi-finalist in the World Championship of Performing Arts in Los Angeles, etc) yet I've never actually been that good, it's hard to live up to my credentials. I try and practise a few times a week, for an hour or so at a time. I used to practise every day but I'm at college and the coursework gets a bit much. Anyway, this is just a wee cover of I Wanna Hold Your Hand, by The Beatles. I really just want to get your opinion of my voice, tone and so on. Any tips, initial impressions of my voice, and so on would be incredibly handy. Just ignore the lack of emotion and such in the song, I haven't rehearsed it like that, I just preferred it to, per instance, Swing Low Sweet Chariot. Haha.

I like your sound. Sounds as if you do have pretty good control of your voice. The only tip I have is something you touched on yourself, lack of emotion but you explained that.

I can tell the influence of musical theater and it sounds pretty cool on this. You say that you've never been that good. Maybe you are concentrating on the technique instead of presenting the song. Phrasing and timing are very important in "Selling" a song(expressing emotion).

I know that this song was just used as an introductory to your voice so the emotional aspect was not top priority and should not be used for that type of judgement. But you have the technique and emotion was the only thing that I had to point out.

When I mentioned Phrasing and timing I was not meaning musical phasing and timing but Phrasing and timing of words. Putting emphasis on certain words or grouping the words in such a way that adds to the meaning.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Hey thanks for the feedback! :) Phrasing and timing is certainly important- I noticed that too, things like taking breaths in the middle of a line can disrupt the meaning, I definitely didn't do that well. I was hoping that there were no glaring issues with my voice or tone, so I'm pleased you haven't noticed any. It'll be neat to post some proper, worked-on pieces in the future, so I can get feedback as constructive as this.

If I were a judge on American Idol and that was your audition, I would say "You're going to Hollywood!" ;)

There were a couple of pitch issues that I noticed but other than that, I loved it. I like the tone of your voice overall.

I'd love to hear your take on Let it Be or Across the Universe. Do you sing Nora Jones?

I agree with Bay. A nice and unique interpretation, even though, of course, I grew up on the original. I didn't get to see the band but I did get to see the next best thing, the Fab Four, perform this and many other hits.

Anyway, keep doing what you are doing. And please hang around and keep sharing. We don't have many female members here.

Also, if you make videos, you can get them featured on the main site or media site of this forum. The Modern Vocalist World.

@ Bay_Harbor_Butcher, I love Norah Jones, but I've never actually tried singing her songs before- I'll definitely give it a shot. Thanks for the kind words, it really, really means a lot.

@ronws thanks!

I would always suggest some Nightwish...

Official Press Release - 'Book of Shadows' CD for sale now!
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/slstone
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/book-of-shadows/id611487291
http://www.slstonemusic.com
Need music with which to sing along? 50% off All Services November Sale. Sign up now! http://stonecraftmusicstudio.com

Dope... str8 off the bat I immediately remembered these girls!

Hears what. You sound classical, got a lot of vibrato when you hold out notes, and that's great!:) Maf, it adds to your sound. YOu have a really unique tone...I would sign you.

Have a dope voice.

My only tip, use less reverb. Other than that, your cool.