Me singing Deep Purple's "Child In Time"

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey guys, great to be here!

I've been really sick the past couple of days, but as I was listening to Child in Time yesterday morning, I thought I should just wing it once and record it. I didn't warm up or prepare at all...just hit record and did an acapella version. The high notes almost had me catching a stroke, haha. I am curious to see what you guys think of my tone/technique, etc. If I suck, PLEASE let me know! I appreciate all the honesty. Thanks!! :D

https://www.yousendit.com/dl?phi_action=app/orchestrateDownload&rurl=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.yousendit.com%252Ftransfer.php%253Faction%253Dbatch_download%2526batch_id%253DUFVvb241Qk5tNEkwTVE9PQ

Crap! Sorry about that. I uploaded on here...it should work now. Sorry. Thanks!

https://www.yousendit.com/dl?phi_action=app/orchestrateDownload&rurl=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.yousendit.com%252Ftransfer.php%253Faction%253Dbatch_download%2526batch_id%253DUFVvb241Qk5tNEkwTVE9PQ

Holy hell, perhaps you need to give US lessons :) That was great. Having an A5 is something most singers don't have. I think it was very well sung - each part. I'd like to hear more stuff from you. You could do with slightly more confidence in the verses, although they still sounded great. If your throat was constricting and hurting afterwards you may have been overdoing the power push. Keep experimenting and remember that you've got a great talent for singing!

Hmm, I kind of take it back with the confidence in the verses, because being slightly fragile there suits the song. But I felt at a point that there was something that sounded "I don't have as much confidence as I should have for such an awesome voice" :) It'll be no biggie for you to work on. Cheers, man.

A lot of people said that I'm a natural singer. Honestly, I don't believe it. But I am the worst teacher there is, and that's because I just don't know what it is I'm doing. I have a hard time explaining to people how to do this/that. I'm just able to pick up a tune without stumbling or wobbling about. So, I'm not sure how I could give you guys lessons, ha.

The screaming really dried out my throat... After that, I couldn't hit those notes like that anymore. It was as if all the "oil" that I needed to run my voice was scraped off my vocal cords and I had no bass. No doubt, it was abusive. And I was overdoing the push. But can you blame me... those are high intense screams, lol.

Thank you Jonpall for taking the time to listen and give your 2 cents. I appreciate it a lot.

When you said "dried out your throat", I immedially thought "too much air". I could be wrong, though. It's tough to tell from a recording. At least for me. But you could try that other type of breath support and see if that helps you a bit. Also - a bonus tip that has helped me - try to "feel" the air flow inside your mouth and simply make it less windy by your thoughts along. You might be surprised how well it works if you just pay attention to a small detail like that. It's very subtle, but you should be able to detect your flow of air in your mouth.

I also think it was great!

If I had to criticize, I would say that the higher notes should be 'conquered' clean first and then add distortion for the effects. So, try and hit them clean...open throat...and see if you dry up that way. :)

Keep up the great work!

cheers!

I hope you don't mind, Stan but I sang along with you. If you were drying out, it's possible that, as jonpall said, too much air was getting through, which results in a great dusty or raspy timbre. When I did the high notes, I had solid consistent air pressure, dropped jaw, and enough tension on the folds to keep too much air from escaping. I liked your performance and doing it a capella was amazing. Just wanted to echo jonpall that you could approach it slight differently and not tire out, as you say you did. Pitch was great, and what a tight vibrato. No criticisms of your performance, just wanted to add my two cents to see if there was a way you could do it that didn't bring you discomfort.

Thank you, man! Indeed, I believe I was adding too much breath pressure. But how do I keep it consistent exactly? Do I increase the support and keep the jaw down?

Sounds really great Stan - it's a fun song to sing, isn't it ? I wanted to ask what you meant by "dry" ; was there any slight burning sensation at all and did it affect the rest of your singing voice ?

As Michelle said, when you sing it totally clean, do you get the same ? Also, would like to let us all know how you approach that part of the voice ?

Well done man,

akarawd

PS. There's a "high notes' thread were your opinion would certainly be useful to many people.

Thank you, man! Indeed, I believe I was adding too much breath pressure. But how do I keep it consistent exactly? Do I increase the support and keep the jaw down?

Slight but not maniacal pressure from the abdominal muscles one uses in exhaling. As for the jaw drop, you were probably already doing that. Just make sure it's staying open.

Once again, You did a wonderful performance, even, as you say, you were sick. When I am sick, there's no way that I'm attempting an high A. When I am sick, I more likely to sound like Caiaphas from "Jesus Christ, Superstar."

The only reason I suggested these things was to see if it helps you do what you are doing without hurting yourself.

Sounds really great Stan - it's a fun song to sing, isn't it ? I wanted to ask what you meant by "dry" ; was there any slight burning sensation at all and did it affect the rest of your singing voice ?

As Michelle said, when you sing it totally clean, do you get the same ? Also, would like to let us all know how you approach that part of the voice ?

Well done man,

akarawd

PS. There's a "high notes' thread were your opinion would certainly be useful to many people.

Thanks guys!

It wasn't a burning sensation, but I felt like I couldn't hit high notes anymore. When I was trying to do the A5, I had rasp coming out... so I was pretty much screwed at that point, ha.