My Attempt For Axl Rose Style Vocals

• TMV World Legacy Member
Hello everyone!
First of all I want to say that I'm NOT a singer and I just do this from time to time as a hobby.
I made this recording to get some feedback from you,
Not necessarily technical critique (though if someone has it I would love to listen),
But more of a general feedback if you like how I sound and if you think its good or not.
Anyway, I just recorded some lines and parts from different Guns N Roses songs and live stuff, my vocals only, no songs or backing tracks (so excuse me if lyrics/timing/notes are off).
So basically just tell me what do you think...

Sounds cool!

One thing that catches my attention is a buzz in the lower frequencies, and I guess it's vocal fry.

I'm not saying that it's bad; it widens your sound and is very suitable to some kind of genres, but in regards to Axl Rose's voice it shouldn't really be there.

It sounds like your putting more "pressure/power" (I'm not so updated on the proper lingo) behind your voice than Axl, which I guess is the reason for the "buzz".

If you'd like to sound more like Axl, my advice would be to ease up a bit, but personally I like your voice as it is. Sounds like mix between Axl and a black metal vocalist :D

Sounds cool!

One thing that catches my attention is a buzz in the lower frequencies, and I guess it's vocal fry.

I'm not saying that it's bad; it widens your sound and is very suitable to some kind of genres, but in regards to Axl Rose's voice it shouldn't really be there.

It sounds like your putting more "pressure/power" (I'm not so updated on the proper lingo) behind your voice than Axl, which I guess is the reason for the "buzz".

If you'd like to sound more like Axl, my advice would be to ease up a bit, but personally I like your voice as it is. Sounds like mix between Axl and a black metal vocalist :D

Thanks! :)

You're definitely right about the low buzz. I believe it's vocal fry too but I'm no expert, haha!

And you're definitely right about me putting more power.

I can put less power but it needs much more practice to sound good, so I didn't use it on this recording.

You're definitely right about the low buzz. I believe it's vocal fry too but I'm no expert, haha!

And you're definitely right about me putting more power.

I can put less power but it needs much more practice to sound good, so I didn't use it on this recording.

Yes, I know that feeling all too well haha.

I'm doing the exact same "mistake" when trying to sound like a high-pitched Halford, but I believe that if you practice it consistently your muscles will get used to it and be able to loosen it up a bit and still produce a nice sound.

But am I practicing consistently to put my theory to the test? No, I do not haha! Not even close, but you've got a nice thing going here so test it out :P

I do not want to contradict you buddy, but you do sound like a singer, a good one actually...

Would like to hear your voice with no effect because it sounds a little robotic at the end of the phrases

finally, I hear a lot of Axel in your voice, that could be good or not... I think to copy is great at the beginning or as an excercise. I suggest you to keep this influence and go further, find out what makes you unique

Please, review and critique my latest post: Donny Hathaway - A song for you

souncloud: https://soundcloud.com/matias-azar-

I also wonder if you can sing the lower and cleaner parts like him, as well. There are plenty of parts in each song where he doesn't have the fry going. 

For example, could you cover "Better" from the album Chinese Democracy?

I do not want to contradict you buddy, but you do sound like a singer, a good one actually...

Would like to hear your voice with no effect because it sounds a little robotic at the end of the phrases

finally, I hear a lot of Axel in your voice, that could be good or not... I think to copy is great at the beginning or as an excercise. I suggest you to keep this influence and go further, find out what makes you unique

Thank you very much for all the kind words :)
What do you mean by "no effect" and "robotic"?

You can definitely sing.

For what its worth, to me it sounds less like Axl and more like something that would work really well in a gothic metal band (or something like that - I don't keep up with the metal genres these days).

And you're not the only one who said that to me, lol.

I also wonder if you can sing the lower and cleaner parts like him, as well. There are plenty of parts in each song where he doesn't have the fry going. 

For example, could you cover "Better" from the album Chinese Democracy?

Unfortunately I can't, not even close. When I try to do that I sound like Axl if he would breath 4 gallons of helium, lol.
But maybe I'll get it one day, hopefully...

Pretty impressive I'd say. Nice pitch also. Does your throat feel sore after recording or can you sustain this for a while??

I actually barely had to work on high pitched notes since my natural voice is a bit high, but on the other hand I'm having trouble even staying rock solid on a basic note.

My throat doesn't hurt or feel sore at all. I do feel something around the throat area, but not a negative feeling. I don't think I use the throat to produce that sound, because if I would, I assume it would hurt.

I can do this for hours day after day without losing power and without any effects on my voice. However, I only get to sing like this on average like once a week, because family at home and stuff...

I think its the only technique that I'm actually doing right.

I love your sound. That being said, I might be wrong, but I think you're screaming/distorting more than Axl. I believe for Axl, it'is more of a big rasp!

And yeah I do put more distortion than Axl.

When I put less it doesn't sound as good (need more practice), so I didn't feature that in this recording.

But I'm working on it!

And yeah I do put more distortion than Axl.

When I put less it doesn't sound as good (need more practice), so I didn't feature that in this recording.

But I'm working on it!

Well you're doing a good job man. The way you can hit notes while doing almost an exhale scream is something few people can do well! Keep it up!

Well you're doing a good job man. The way you can hit notes while doing almost an exhale scream is something few people can do well! Keep it up!

Thank you very much! :)

Awesome singing dude! It reminds me Axel, but I have to agree with Strengthlegacy when he says you are using way more distortion than Axel. I don't know if it is important to you to sound exactly like Axel, but it sounds awesome already. I would just try to find my own style now, if I were You. I was also wondering what you sound like if you step off the distortion. Nice work! 

Yeah, it sounds very cool but i also think you use more distortion than Axl and you sound, for example, more like the singer from Cradle of Filth - Dani Filth. Death Metal is a genre best described for this kind of singing.