• TMV World Legacy Member

Hello

Our band is gonna perform this live next saturday and im ###### nervous. I both sing and play guitar and i dont know how to push to hit these high notes without damaging my vocal cords. We practiced this song pretty often but i just wanna hear your opinion on how it sounds and how i can improve.

http://www.wikiupload.com/EB1TF28ZELL3C9Z

Sorry but i couldnt find any better site you must download the file to listen to it

• Administrator

Welcome...

Use box.net or soundlcoud for review files. And it does make it easier for our community... we don't want to have to download files.... we want to stream.... in any case your link doesn't work... so please just try again with one of these other services that allow us to stream.

I have sang this song a million times... I can help you with it for sure... if you took a quick lesson with me, I could show you how to get through it. 

i dont know how to push to hit these high notes without damaging my vocal cords.

I don't either... I don't know how to "hit these high notes" without damaging my vocal cords either... thats why Im not going to "hit those high notes"... hint!  As long as you perceive frequency as something that is "up/down & low/high"... you will always have some problems... part of your problem is the mental imagery about what "high notes" really are and are not. This may sound esoteric, but its not... there is an objective reality to this and it involves understanding the acoustics of the human voice when singing... Truly, the best thing you could do is make a small investment and get in front of me or any good coach and let us talk to you and work with you on this tune... its an easy fix for a good coach that can actually get in front of you... looking for "free secret tips" online isn't going to make lasting, tangible results... 

Bro stop that right now. Thats vocal suicide right there. False cord distortion is ok and not harmful when done properly but you are killing your voice. Its not bad. You can sing decently esspecially the lower part. But that highs were scary to even listen.

Btw that distorted sound you made is common in technical death metal and metalcore genres but i dont think your doing it right.

Does it hurt?

No it doesnt hurt i do that to sing high notes otherwise it sounds straining. Does it sound bad?

Well depends what you are after. For going out of the box and making a "modern metal" style cover its fine, but for a real IM tribute cover it should be cleaner. That said, i dont think you can magically belt out B4 in a week so i guess you should perform with this type of sound.

Kinda seems you cant really play and sing at the same time. You are loosing phrases when playing (at least in the clip).

Also disregard my comment about vocal suicide cuz obviously it doesent hurt so i guess its fine.

Im also a beginner so wait for someone more knowledgable to help you brah :)

If your band mates say it's fine, just go for it! That will be "your sound". I don't think you can do much until next saturday anyway. With that said, it could be much worse!
Also, no matter what you do it will ALWAYS be people that will dislike it. Might as well do your thing and don't care what other people think from the start :D

Good luck!

If your band mates say it's fine, just go for it! That will be "your sound". I don't think you can do much until next saturday anyway. With that said, it could be much worse!

Also, no matter what you do it will ALWAYS be people that will dislike it. Might as well do your thing and don't care what other people think from the start :D

Good luck!

Great Advice! Performing is awesome!!

• Administrator

Ok, whats going on in here?... 

I listened to your track... 

Cool hearing "children of the damned" on a nylon string guitar... thats different.

- I agree with Elvis, that kind of distortion is not healthy. I am not the kind of coach that teaches fear of this and that about the voice... very liberal about what you can get away with regarding the voice... but that has limits.. and this distortion sound is over the top. I can hear your constrictors really getting tighter by the minute... in any case, that is not actually the right sound color any way... its not what Dickinson is doing.

- There is a lot of constriction and choking in your singing... you have developed some bad habits and I fear that if you don't get straightened out, your going to have singing problems always.

Ok i have trained some onsets on youtube and they are working good. I am a beginner. And i have practiced some sirens the problem is i tend to go into head voice on the high notes because of the frequency. And it sounds like i am pushing my chest voice up.

Ok i have trained some onsets on youtube and they are working good. I am a beginner. And i have practiced some sirens the problem is i tend to go into head voice on the high notes because of the frequency. And it sounds like i am pushing my chest voice up.

I would like to hear the clip of you singing without distortion. Use that sound that you are "pushing". We might help you better

this is me without the distortion cant really get to that note hehe sounds horrible but take a listen.

https://soundcloud.com/rms-17/children-of-the-damned-vocals-take-2

Yeah, funny. Now, try it closer to the mic and without the cathedral reverb. We want to hear your voice, not proximity (or lack thereof) and effects. What are you afraid of? You are in the best place for singers. We like to help.

That's a lot better. And, asided from the forced vibrato, you are singing close to how Bruce sounds. On the highest parts, this may sound counterintuitive, but you can free up some "thickness" by letting the note get thinner. Let it focus in its place of resonance and you will get an increase in volume without pushing.

As for vibrato, most every voice has a natural vibrato that comes out when you are NOT pushing air. This comes from regulating your air pressure or speed, whichever mental image works for you. So, even though the highest part may sound weak to you, it is the right place to start from. And your voice will last for decades.

Noo, man, this is a killer song for you to sing. It's a really hard nut to crack because you should belt about 70 percent of the song as high as G4-B4 and even D5.Did you know that belting requires monster breath support? Yes. Otherwise you'll just lose your voice some day. If you like to sing Iron Maiden, you might choose another song, e.g., Fear of the dark, which is way easier to sing.

You know, I'm not a beginner but Children of the damned is a hard song for me to sing. And I don't think someone on the forum would say it is an easy song to sing for him.

Think of your voice. Cheers! 

But i can train to helt those Notes?

Ofc. I used to fail miserably on Children of the Damned, even on the verse. But now im almost there. Few more months and i might give it  fair try. Practice is everything.