Too much love will kill you(Take 4) (hopefully less strained)

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi Good folks in this forum.  I am back after a gap.  I have been busy with work and also on trying to improve my technique.  So I wanted to take a break and post after I felt like I made progress.. I also had some issues with getting my credit card to work!!! 

IT was pointed to me last time around that the effort during my belting was very much obvious and it sounded strained.  In my quest to fix this problem, I have gone back to drawing board(won't we all love to sing full sounding F4-C5 without strain:) )  and tried to address it in a way that works for me and here is the outcome.  

This was a single take, so there are a few pitchy spots. But please point out any flaws you here purely from a tonal quality.  

Thanks in advance to anyone who drops in a few words.. 

https://app.box.com/s/d59gku119z1a0qsv22ik5r29y5268uah

NICE work Aravind!! You are definitely on the right path. You didn't sound strained at all to me. Actually, you sounded very much in control in the high parts. For my taste, you just need to work a bit on the low parts to get rid of the "cartoonish voice". You made huge progress climbing your Everest, now you need to enjoy the ride. Congrats :bang:

Nice job! I think it sounded very good. I think the strength in the belt will come if you keep practicing this song and give it a bit "more gas" as an experiment you will find the balance in your voice. I really love this song and it takes balls to sing these classic singers. When covering legendary singers like this I always figure if I get it 75 percent of the way I will be way ahead of most ordinary type singers lol. Great job again.

I'm digging it. It's a hard song and you're doing well, but you asked for tonal advice and I think I have this figured out now. I think your soft palate is a key component in your tonal control.

It sounds like on the belting parts you raise it high enough that it is possibly creating more effort than might be needed and on the lower sections you lower it down to the point where some people are critiquing the nasality. 

I think finer tuned control might satisfy the cartoon critics (by raising it just slightly) and make the high end notes slightly less effortful (lowering just a bit).

If you look at this picture, you will notice the soft palate is in the area in the upper back part of your mouth, if you were to slide your tongue backwards, you'll feel a gap. Behind that and above is your soft palate.

http://headandneckcancerguide.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/40_1_softpalateCROP.jpg

You can learn to control the amount of elevation of this. I did examples with it down too low for my tastes, up too high for my tastes, and in a more neutral position I might use on sections of this song:

https://app.box.com/s/c5b8x5tmw8zwq2jwxjsn3i24i08wmbg1

Overall you're doing great, but I think if you get control over this any cartoon critics will be critiquing an artistic choice once you get full control over your soft palate. When you're in control of the amount of the amount, they can deal with whatever you choose. So try to practice the two different types of 'ah' I put in there. The kind of quacky, nasal one, and the super tall one. Feel the difference between the positions and try to find a neutral position that works.