• TMV World Legacy Member

https://app.box.com/s/fn9b0z7rl7v27mrb3g5gvcg8vntkt1f8

This song isn't very range-y, so I was trying to emphasize on performance and dynamics. Any and all feedback welcome.

"The journey in between what you once were and who you are now becoming is where the dance of life really takes place."
-B. De Angelis

My SoundCloud

Sounds nice Javastorm, I did not notice anything that needs to be addressed in this song. I am not familiar with the original but your version stands on its own merits. In other words I will most likely listen again just for enjoyment.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

I cannot think of thing wrong with it and I like your feel. The melancholy sound of your voice, this literally sounded like Seal had covered it. This is THE way to cover a song.

For MDEW, this is a huge pop song that was everywhere on the radio and got synchro-licensed in a bunch of shows, as well.

Thanks very much Ron, I don't feel like I'm anywhere near Seal, but I appreciate the comparison! I watched the music video also, never heard this version of this song and I like it.

"The journey in between what you once were and who you are now becoming is where the dance of life really takes place."
-B. De Angelis

My SoundCloud

Well, dude, I hear Seal in your voice, even if you cannot. Sorry, you'll just have to live with having a beautiful and soulful tone, something others would give their right arms to have.

I hear the Seal quality in the timbre too. It's the breath but slight creak in the timbre.

I can really feel this cover. My favorite parts are actually the latter sections where the Seal quality breaks down a bit. There is a slight breakup in the registering, sounds like the position of your tract (vowel shading, sob quality, imo) changes according to the emotions being expressed which sounds less immaculate and more sincere.

That quality for me is one of the biggest qualities I'm attracted to in singers. Every time I've heard your voice you've had it, even in a foreign language. I feel like you could be really successful as there is aesthetic appeal (I think it's the Sealish quality Ronws describes), but also a sense of humanity. I'm not really a Seal fan as I don't really connect with his performances. It's almost like he's too immaculate for my tastes. If Seal sang a bit more you do, I might have been more of a fan.

2 hours ago, KillerKu said:

I hear the Seal quality in the timbre too. It's the breath but slight creak in the timbre.

I can really feel this cover. My favorite parts are actually the latter sections where the Seal quality breaks down a bit. There is a slight breakup in the registering, sounds like the position of your tract (vowel shading, sob quality, imo) changes according to the emotions being expressed which sounds less immaculate and more sincere.

That quality for me is one of the biggest qualities I'm attracted to in singers. Every time I've heard your voice you've had it, even in a foreign language. I feel like you could be really successful as there is aesthetic appeal (I think it's the Sealish quality Ronws describes), but also a sense of humanity. I'm not really a Seal fan as I don't really connect with his performances. It's almost like he's too immaculate for my tastes. If Seal sang a bit more you do, I might have been more of a fan.

I just wanted to say that your way of approaching music, from a listening as well as performance perspective is changing the way I think about the values that I have regarding music, especially singing. I'm challenging and questioning what it is that makes something desirable for me, what it is that makes something pure or imperfect, or one the result of the other. I am inspired because of this, so thank you for that.

-B. De Angelis

My SoundCloud

A great version of one of my ALL TIME favorite songs from an amazing singer/musician! Love Sarah McLachlan and you really did a great job of taking the etherealness of the original and gave it a stripped down soulfulness that I think is fantastic. I would kill for this much soul in my voice. Super job brother!