How Deep is your love practice

• TMV World Legacy Member

I submitted this in the Challenge for BeeGees. It is late. I am tired, but wanted to post something.

Be kind, this is a work in progress and a little to laid back to be effective

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Hi MDEW,  this is one of my favorite songs.  This is very difficult to cover in a single voice and guitar combo since the falsetto has layers of multiple tracking to give the perceived weight. Also, to maintain a tonal consistency across a wide range is quite difficult.  

I liked that you have used a light tone to keep the variation minimal.  There are a couple of spots where I feel you can improve 

1.  When you slide into falsetto at 0:40 for e.g. you sound like you slightly unsure where exactly you ARE sliding into falsetto.  The outcome is this uncertainty lags on a bit too long and messes up with the tone at that point.  What works for me is to visualize the series of notes that make up this portion and clearly identify when I am going to slide into a falsetto mode.  Also, what prep work I need to do before doing that and how many notes back do I need to go for that.  When you do this, you may find this this portion may be smoother. 

2.  There are places where you are a bit flat and slightly off pitch.  It is not a range issue as much as an attention issue.  If you have a keyboard, you can play the actual notes of the song on the keyboard to tell you where exactly they lie.  That way you can do this as a legato whilst not moving away from the center of the pitch... 

Keep up your good work.. 

Thanks Aravindmadis, Good tips on the Falsetto, I had been singing that stronger but kept missing the high note and finally just sang soft just so I could make the note. I was also missing the lowest note and slid into it once I started singing.

I like how you sang this in the range that works for you and it gives you a good tone for the song. If were I were a producer or recording guy in the studio, I would say this is the right thing. Vowels are a little clunky, that southern accent still coming through. But you are a country boy and it might seem more odd if you didn't sound a little country on this.

But I appreciate even more the unique tone of your voice. And I think you are gaining more control and usefulness from your study of 4 Pillars. This was a solid performance that I think was missing from the first posts of songs you had when you first joined this forum.

Rock on my southern brother from another mother.

This is the same range/Key as Berry. One thing I am finding out is that some singers will sound higher because of the overtones.One of my problems is/was trying to match the tone of other singers and I would allow my Larynx to rise. Realizing that I am not going to have the same tone has allowed me to find a better larynx position.

That one time that I found complete vocal freedom was when BTO's "You Ain't Seen Nothin Yet" came on the Radio and I found that I was squeezing and raising the larynx to get his sound. I shifted to a softer yet deeper tone and things fell into place. I was singing along to Aretha, High harmonies of  Beach Boys, Aerosmith and even singing with a higher octave on other songs. It was unfortunate that the phone rang while I was in this state. I lost the feeling and coordination and have been trying to get it back ever since.

I find the Everly Brothers are the most deceptive I've found for using a very light sound and sounding higher than they really are. I was singing along with a girl, and we were trying harmonies. And there was like an A2 or something in there somewhere, but it sounded so light, we were both wondering why she couldn't sing the note.

One thing that helps is to try notes at every volume and size. Cause once I swelled the note it was obvious. 

I already gave some feedback in the challenge thread. But yeah that's the trick for me, as far as light but low, or high but heavy. Sing the note, swell it from quiet to loud, big and small.

3 hours ago, ronws said:

I like how you sang this in the range that works for you and it gives you a good tone for the song. If were I were a producer or recording guy in the studio, I would say this is the right thing. Vowels are a little clunky, that southern accent still coming through. But you are a country boy and it might seem more odd if you didn't sound a little country on this.

But I appreciate even more the unique tone of your voice. And I think you are gaining more control and usefulness from your study of 4 Pillars. This was a solid performance that I think was missing from the first posts of songs you had when you first joined this forum.

Rock on my southern brother from another mother.

Thanks Ronws, I always appreciate your honesty and advice. I don't think I will ever get those southern vowels totally cleaned up. Weird thing is that southerners think I have a northern accent and those above the Mason-Dixon line think I have a southern accent. Truth is around here you can almost tell what street someone lives on because of the differences in accent.

That's okay. I call people from across the Red River, about 14 miles from me, yankees. If I sneeze to north, it is raining in Oklahoma.

• TMV World Member
38 minutes ago, ronws said:

That's okay. I call people from across the Red River, about 14 miles from me, yankees. If I sneeze to north, it is raining in Oklahoma.

So you're a Texan huh? We okies can always tell a Texan when they visit here. They'll say howdy in a friendly voice while driving on the wrong side of the road :4:

Galatians 5:22-23- But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Romans 10:9-that if you will confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

My name is James and I'm a possible future student of Rob Lunte.

10 hours ago, The Future Vocalist said:

So you're a Texan huh? We okies can always tell a Texan when they visit here. They'll say howdy in a friendly voice while driving on the wrong side of the road :4:

In Texas, whatever side of the road I am on is the right side. And I do say "howdy," so you got me there.

One of my wife's favorite jokes. What do you cal six pall bearers in Oklahoma?

Carry Okie.

One of my favorite jokes, which is not a joke, really. Oklahoma has 3.2 beer. So, Okies have to cross into Texas to get 5.5 or better. It was all based on the idea that the native americans on the Choctaw and Chickasaw reservations need the government to control their drinking. Ah, the arrogance of government.

7 hours ago, Collin571 said:

You kind of sound like Randy Newman, maybe you could try adding more glissando to get a better intonation.  1:45-2:00 was the most pleasant intonation to my ears.

Thanks for listening Collin, I kind of like Randy Newman. It could be worse and I could sound like Tom Petty.

Part of my issue is tone, The funny thing about tone issues is that you have to sound like someone and sometimes it is what it is, a matter of physical make up or it is about coordinations and resonance. What if I find out that i have everything balanced and I still sound like Randy? Or are just meaning the style of singing? A talky singy thing? This was first draft just getting an idea of how to approach the song and to have something to contribute to the BeeGees Challenge.

• TMV World Member
9 hours ago, MDEW said:

Thanks for listening Collin, I kind of like Randy Newman. It could be worse and I could sound like Tom Petty.

Part of my issue is tone, The funny thing about tone issues is that you have to sound like someone and sometimes it is what it is, a matter of physical make up or it is about coordinations and resonance. What if I find out that i have everything balanced and I still sound like Randy? Or are just meaning the style of singing? A talky singy thing? This was first draft just getting an idea of how to approach the song and to have something to contribute to the BeeGees Challenge.

It's a good first start, I know with more recordings you'll maximize it's potential for beauty!  Can't say what you should do different other than keep going at it! :bang:

46 minutes ago, Collin571 said:

It's a good first start, I know with more recordings you'll maximize it's potential for beauty!  Can't say what you should do different other than keep going at it! :bang:

This does seem like the kind of audience I get.

3 minutes ago, Collin571 said:

POS crowd XD

I was playing in a local band, we played at a graduation party, mostly family members of the graduates, I sang with an acoustic while the drummer was setting up and the rest of the equipment was put inplace. The audience just stared at me. I sang like 6 songs. Not a peep. When I walked off the stage many people pulled me aside and said they loved what I did. I just stared back and said "Why couldn't you show me that while I was up on stage feeling like a fool?".    Sometimes you just get a tough crowd.